Greetings from Indiana!

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
Yup, newbie here, just found this site the other day and looking forward to some good conversation and such.

My name is James, and I actually found myself in the EMS field before I knew I wanted to be here. I started in the Fire Service with no interest in EMS. However, for anyone who does not know, about 85-90% of fire calls turn out to be medical in nature. Since this was the case, I hated being left behind due to not having any EMS certifications. Thus, I earned my EMT-B from Nazi instructors. You know, one of those classes where you hate them while you take it, but are extremely thankful for them when you find yourself in the field. Anyway, I planned to only use my Basic for the fire service as “filler” for in between incidents and fires, only to learn that providing EMS was just as rewarding to me. This led me to seek employment on an ambulance service. So, now I work full time for a hospital and part time for a fire department.

I feel pretty fortunate for my full time job, in that I get to work in the ED when we are not on a run. In my opinion, this really allows for an opportunity to hone patient assessment. In addition to patient assessment, an EMT who works in an ED has a clearer understanding of what will be done with a patient once care is transferred, making the transfer more efficient fostering a better working relationship with ED nurses. Unfortunately, working the ED does come with its cons. One thing an EMT must deal with while working in an ED is working side by side with some nurses who think EMS is inferior to their profession. However, this does not in any way reflect all nurses! These types seem to have got their start from a Med/Surge type of settings and think nurses are really doctors and entitled to CNAs. Another is constantly reminding yourself that the resources you have available in an ED setting is not available in the field. Lastly, when you work in an ED (and for the hospital itself) you get to practice in-house skills that are outside your scope of practice once the ambulance is activated. This is a con because, when you are in the field and know what needs to be done, know how to do it, but cannot because it is outside of your Scope…it sometimes places you in a dilemma you would not have had, had you simply been ignorant to it.

Sorry, I tend to get long winded! Glad to be here, and again look forward to some good conversation with substance and maybe meeting some new friends.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
Welcome to the boards!