Got called for a seizure-but it wasn't.

Hockey

Quackers
Ideas? Input on whats going on in the strip? Unable to obtain 12 lead because...well. Things started going downhill fast.

SHukJ.jpg

It was a warm dark morning, the birds were starting to chirp, and yours truly was trying to get a nap in since we've been running all night. Bam. Called for a seizure. No notes on the call or anything.

We arrive at a nice home, met at the front door by some kids who ask if their mom will be alright. Sorry guys, I'm not even on your porch yet, so I don't know.

We find patient (49/F) laying in bed unresponsive. Patient husband speaks little English so everything is through talking with the kids.

Patient has agonal snoring respirations, and you can hear that she aspirated some.

Only medication she is on is Abilify for depression. Filled last week, and the bottle was full. No history of suicide attempts and no reason to think she overdose.

No drug, or alcohol problems. No medical history besides depression. No allergies, no change in diet, or mood. No reason to think of foul play. Patient was feeling fine when she went to bed at her normal hour.

Patient was making "funny noises" and couldn't wake her up family said. No seizure

Initial SPO2 74% room air.

I immediately started attempting to bag her as my student grabbed a NPA out. NPA goes in fine. First bag post NPA deployment, she vomits pink frothy sputum all over the place. I run and grab suction and start suctioning. Its bloody. Its pink. Its a whole lotta everything as usual.

She had the beginning of some decorticate going on but as soon as it would start, it'd stop. Not really sure.

Decision was to move her to ambulance immediately and go.

Got her in the ambulance and my partner dropped the OPA which she took fine but it got pushed out (not sure what was going on there) somehow. Bagging her but she was fighting it. Sats up to 85%

So here are her vitals that we got (in the house)

BP 150/90
HR 110 every now and then irregular
Lung sounds...well..you can guess.
3 lead (look up at the top).
Unable to obtain 12 lead.
BGS: 155
Pupils 3 or 4 non reactive.
Unresponsive to verbal, painful stimuli, OPA or NPA. Gag reflex was present only slightly.

Unable to obtain IV access since we were tied up worrying about her airway. We were 1 mile from the hospital.

They RSI'd her in the ER before we left.

They agree they don't think she overdosed.

So I'd like to hear everyones input, especially about the 3 lead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sinus with PVCs and PACs? I'm not sure on that one.

Almost sounds like a ruptured aneurysm. Complaint of any headaches recently? Doesn't explain the rhythm although the ectopy could be secondary to hypoxia...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Sinus with PVCs and PACs? I'm not sure on that one.

Almost sounds like a ruptured aneurysm. Complaint of any headaches recently? Doesn't explain the rhythm although the ectopy could be secondary to hypoxia...

Nope no headaches. Family states she been absolutely normal the last few days.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Nope no headaches. Family states she been absolutely normal the last few days.

Family hx of CVAs or aneurysms? Increased risk for CVAs is a side effect of Abilify but that's generally in older patients.

Does she smoke? Oral Contraceptives? Any recent trauma? Right or leftward gaze?

Does she respond to pain at all? Localize or withdraw? I know you said she had intermittent decorticate posturing.

I'm interested now haha

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
No family hx that could be obtained but they said everyone is healthy so. No trauma no BC no other meds. No gaze...when I opened her eyes she looked right then down then that was it. But no neuro behind it

Achilles

Forum Moron
So um where from Michigan are you?

Anjel

Forum Angel

MadMedic

Forum Probie
Did you only get one set of vitals?
Was there any changes in the time you were with her?
What was her skin like?
Did they do a 12 lead at the hospital? if so, did you see it?
Did you get a chance to count the pills to see if any were taken?

I'm assuming you are on an ambo and it was only you and your EMT?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
A seizure need not look like a typical grand mal, and a seizure is not necessarily seizure disorder. Intracranial insult can cause seizureform activity. Pupils were equal?

We had another post a while back about bloody respiratory stuff without a known etiology after an airway was inserted. Did she truly vomit, or cough the frothy material up? What are the chances that she had some trauma with airway insertion and it tinged the froth?

Anyone have a good knowledge of what happens to cardiac rhythm when cerebral control is degraded or cut off?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you actually have an answer for us?

What was her temp?

In addition to what has already been said:

Could be pneumonia that went south pretty quickly. Seems unlikely.
Anterior MI with LVF.
Prescription opiate OD.

None of them seem that likely. I'd say its pretty difficult to say given the information provided.

As far as the ECG goes, I think I'd need to see a bit more of a rhythm strip that didn't have a lot of PVC on it. Pending a further look, and how it responds to ventilation, I'd say the PVS were 2ndry to the hypoxia. Correct the hypoxia and see how that goes.

-Position ears to sternal notch with towels.
-Suction.
-NPA, BVM (or closed circuit if you have it to monitor tidal volume, RR) with 100% O2.

-2x IV access largest bore reasonable. Two bags.
-Given her age and a lack of obvious causes, I think a 12-lead would be reasonably important here.

-Expose her completely, for 2ndry, and cover with blanket.

Do as much of this as I could before we got to hospital.

Do you have any answers for us? I'm pretty certain on the information provided, nobody will be able to give you a house moment.

What are the chances that she had some trauma with airway insertion and it tinged the froth?

Yep, I've been responsible for that once or twice :blush:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If it's pneumonia, then it's MRSA pneumonia. And maybe immunocompromised.
Then, severe aspiration of stomach contents can cause bloody tinge to respiratory foam, especially if the pt had a severe coughing jag.

Medic23

Forum Ride Along
Poss pulmonary hypertension. Seems only other cause would be heart failure and fluid back up or a active progressive annurysem. Lastly I would def consider a active mi as I've witnessed three sz like episodes rt while pts are having active mi s they go into a mild seizure like activity and moments later crash. I always write down a name and check next time at hospital on ones that im curious

NHemt1

Forum Ride Along
That 3 lead is FUBR, at this point you just treat the pt although a 12 may of given you a better view. Sinus Arrest? Thats my random guess because P wave is there, normalish? ST segment there...Im actually looking at my cardiology book right now, and I just cant get it.
-Ryan

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
From the information you give it sounds like a seizure or intracranial bleed. Unfortunately it sounds like the complications you had may have been caused by your treatment. What were her respirations per minute? Did you try a NRB before you went to BVM? Going straight to bagging a patient like that most likely is only going to force air into the stomach and cause them to vomit. NP and OP airways very commonly cause minor bleeding. Your best bet would've been suction, NRB, and RSI.
No recent headaches means nothing. If She had a bad intracranial bleed the onset of a headache and the unconsciousness would've been nearly simultaneous. The EKG is just sinus with PVCs, also inconclusive. Sounds like you were on the right track with managing her airway, but I'm guessing you don't have RSI protocols. Looks like you did the best you could do with the tools you were given. Good call. Thanks for sharing.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Anyone have a good knowledge of what happens to cardiac rhythm when cerebral control is degraded or cut off?

I'm guessing the heart would pace at the rate of its highest functioning pacemaker which would most likely be somewhere in the atria at a rate of ~ 60. I would expect an increase in ectopy because of varying overdrive suppression instead of a single depolrization from the SA node.

No cerebral control = no rate control. Which can be a big problem, No reflex tachycardia, the heart can not respond to changes in homeostasis.

Anjel

Forum Angel
From the information you give it sounds like a seizure or intracranial bleed. Unfortunately it sounds like the complications you had may have been caused by your treatment. What were her respirations per minute? Did you try a NRB before you went to BVM? Going straight to bagging a patient like that most likely is only going to force air into the stomach and cause them to vomit. NP and OP airways very commonly cause minor bleeding. Your best bet would've been suction, NRB, and RSI.
No recent headaches means nothing. If She had a bad intracranial bleed the onset of a headache and the unconsciousness would've been nearly simultaneous. The EKG is just sinus with PVCs, also inconclusive. Sounds like you were on the right track with managing her airway, but I'm guessing you don't have RSI protocols. Looks like you did the best you could do with the tools you were given. Good call. Thanks for sharing.

Ya there is only like 3-4 places in MI that have RSI protocols. And none around here.

And the places that do have it, the protocol states it is for trauma pts only.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Ya there is only like 3-4 places in MI that have RSI protocols. And none around here.

And the places that do have it, the protocol states it is for trauma pts only.

That's a shame. I find we (the system) RSI far more medical patients than trauma.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Massive MI leading to severe LV failure would be high up on my list, but the of possibilities is pretty big. Just a suggestion, next time I'd skip the BGL and go right for the 12 lead. If you're really pressed for time, you can run a 6 lead with LP 12.