Got an Interview with Olympic Ambulance in Washington

OP
OP
M

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Just wanted to say that Olympic Ambulance has been treating great. Great training with people that even gave me their personal numbers and said call any time with any questions. But it's a lot of training they try to cram into one month. They're hiring right now too.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I really enjoyed my time there. The Bremerton station was awesome, and the per diem pay was great.

OP
OP
M

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Yeah I'm not going to pretend I've got their system figured out yet but they seem to have a lot of opportunities to pick up extra pay whether it's for being on call or easily lots of overtime. I'm just looking for part time.

Vegasmedic

Forum Crew Member
Just out of curiosity how is the medic pay and is there any 911 work? I work at Spokane AMR now but keeping my options open for later.

Thanks

OP
OP
M

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Just out of curiosity how is the medic pay and is there any 911 work? I work at Spokane AMR now but keeping my options open for later.

Thanks

I'm not sure what the medic pay is like. I'm guessing low since EMTs get paid minimum. The Port Angeles location has medics and runs 911 calls. The branch in Bremerton I believe does as well but I'm not familiar with their system or their pay scale.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm not sure what the medic pay is like. I'm guessing low since EMTs get paid minimum. The Port Angeles location has medics and runs 911 calls. The branch in Bremerton I believe does as well but I'm not familiar with their system or their pay scale.

Bremerton does no ALS 911, it's all IFT. The BLS trucks do 911 with the Brem medics. Per Diem medics made $22/hour when I left in 2010. Full time medics made +/- $16/hour. Fantastic facility, good place to make extra medic money and get some good training. I took a LOT of sick people to Seattle from Brem when the Helicopter couldn't fly and you'll take a LOT of active labor, STEMIs and unstable PTs out of the Silverdale Campus and Port Orchard urgent care. You'll also take unstable patients from the Navy Hospital to Madigan.

You can, after a while at Oly, try to get in per diem MCMO, running 911 (and IFT). MCMO is not a government agency, it's owned by Oly. The pay there sucks, but it's a fun place to pick up some extra hours.

Last edited:

DWR

Forum Probie
I think overall (I know it's probably been said before) but experience and presenting yourself is key. Also the willingness to work in an area you might not want to live in particularly is also a big thing. I went to Paramedic school at Columbia Basin College in the Tri Cities. Personally I dislike it down there (I moved from Bellingham) but the departments are always hiring and they run predominantly ALS crews. To be honest it's a pain to get hired in WA due to the influx of people wanting a job in that neck of the woods. For example I'm a medic in Wilmington, NC and a few Wilmington Firefighters have talked to me about testing out there. I think you need to look overall what you wan't to do and where you want to go. In some departments you might be a "fire medic" but that might translate you essentially being a full time medic and not so much a firefighter. My suggestion is find out what you want to do and where you want to go, and once you figure that out see whats in the area. Just be open to your options, especially early in your career.