Got an Interview with Olympic Ambulance in Washington

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
I've got an interview up on the Olympic Peninsula for Olympic Ambulance. Anyone on here work for them or know what to expect?

OP
OP
M

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Awesome, thanks. I've met a couple people that work up there that seem good and also seem to enjoy it there.
Why'd you end up leaving the company?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked as a per diem medic in Bremerton and I left Washington. It's a pretty dismal state for EMS unless you're a fire medic or work for King county medic one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Ah gotcha. Yeah until I got involved with EMS a couple years ago I had no idea how many EMTs or medics there were or just how few jobs there were.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
I believe they are primary up in Sequim? so that's cool. actually if you look hard enough, there's decent amount of jobs for paramedics. you will just need to shell out the $ to test... NTN, PA, bates etc

NomadicMedic

It's not a great place to work unless you're a fire medic. Private services pay lousy and work you to the bone. If you want great experience, work as a medic in Yakima for a year. You will see more GSWs and other trauma, coupled with really sick people, than you'll find almost anywhere. Again, money sucks and the equipment is "meh", but you'll run great stuff, shift after shift. They say you get 5 years of experience the first year there. KCM1 is really the only true third service, difficult to get hired, but truly a dream career gig for most.

OP
OP
M

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Thanks for the tips guys. That's one thing that I was told was that the pay isn't great at the basic or medic level but the experience from all the patient contact will be worth it.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
actually Skagit County medic one is just as legit as King County. if not better. king County is too isolated from the outside world imo. not that i would ever turn down a job offer from them.. there's also North Country EMS in yacolt, WA, third service, starts medics at $18 or something. also Skamania County EMS who start medics at $20. but full time spot there are few.

NomadicMedic

actually Skagit County medic one is just as legit as King County. if not better. king County is too isolated from the outside world imo. not that i would ever turn down a job offer from them.. there's also North Country EMS in yacolt, WA, third service, starts medics at $18 or something. also Skamania County EMS who start medics at $20. but full time spot there are few.

Very true. I have a friend at Skagit, it's a great service, but people never leave. Just like Cascade and Island... There are good jobs, but few and far between.

NomadicMedic

If anyone care

https://cascademedicalcenter.applicantpro.com/jobs/202281.html

I would apply... but sadly I have not even finished school yet.

I don't know how progressive the medicine is, but an awesome place to live. (It reminds me of Arendelle from Frozen.)
Most of those guys have been there 10 years +. http://www.cascademedical.org/ambulance-service/meet-our-team

I talked to a couple of the guys when I was up there a few years ago, and they said, "unless you're from here, it's damn near impossible to get hired."

Just like Mason County Medic One. They like their medics "homegrown"

OP
OP
M

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Yeah I bet. I start training next Tuesday then hopefully get offered a job. They warned me that they will work me to death if I let them.