Goodbye Schaefer?

wtferick

Forum Captain
Heard today that Schaefer did not bid on the Pomona contract...

Any thoughts?

*if to confidential, Admins please feel free to lock the post.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
The mcneils could have sold dozens of times already.... I wonder why they wouldn't re-bid.... Unless they want to get back into the IFT business .... They were really big before 2006 in the ift world.

JohnTheEMT

Forum Crew Member
AMR would take pomona right ? Theres 2 things shaeffer should do. 1 is to go back to doing IFT or 2 sell out to AMR so the kids that own shaeffer dont have to have this headache of having a ambulance company that no one wants to look out for.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, maybe McCormick will big on and take that EOA, I would really love to cut my commute in half! :p But yes AMR or Care seems the most logical since they both have stations in Irwindale...though you never know if some outlier IFT company will bid and pick up....though while I wouldn't necessarily be shocked per say not what I'm expecting...if Schaefer really does lose the Pomona EOA I wonder how that'd affect their Monrovia contract?

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I would think AMR would be the natural choice. They have everything else both immediately east and west of P Town.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Hey, maybe McCormick will big on and take that EOA, I would really love to cut my commute in half! :p But yes AMR or Care seems the most logical since they both have stations in Irwindale...though you never know if some outlier IFT company will bid and pick up....though while I wouldn't necessarily be shocked per say not what I'm expecting...if Schaefer really does lose the Pomona EOA I wonder how that'd affect their Monrovia contract?
Sorry bud. Don't think McCormick has enough resources for Pomona. Seeing as care runs in at times for coverage. Lol

scenesafety

Forum Ride Along
okay so Schaefer just posted an ad on craigslist TODAY for open paramedic positions in Pomona, so im assuming you probably heard wrong.

emt life wont let me post the link but check for yourselfs...

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
I would think AMR would be the natural choice. They have everything else both immediately east and west of P Town.
AMR would make a lot more sense. Seeing as CARE does have ALS up North. Alabama I believe? Wouldn't be surprised if they got into the ALS action.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
okay so Schaefer just posted an ad on craigslist TODAY for open paramedic positions in Pomona, so im assuming you probably heard wrong.

emt life wont let me post the link but check for yourselfs...
Never stated I was correct.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry bud. Don't think McCormick has enough resources for Pomona. Seeing as care runs in at times for coverage. Lol
Lol didn't seriously expect them to do so (but one can wish...namely for the commute hahaha :) ) As of right now, no we really don't, however assuming the hypothetical that we do take over any additional EOA (Pomona or other) I doubt it'd be too much trouble to hire enough staff to fill the extra shifts....of course there's other logistical hurdles such as stations and radio comms and whatnot. However hypotheticals asside I haven't heard anything official from management about the EOA bids, but I fully expect to maintain both our 2 EOA's, they might bid on Care's current one that's next to ours, but no one has really talked about it one way or the other at our level, so if I had to guess management probably expects to maintain our status quo (our 2 EOA's in the South Bay and Malibu/Calabassas without losing or gaining anything). Though next time a Supe visits my station I can ask if they've heard any rumblings about that

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Lol didn't seriously expect them to do so (but one can wish...namely for the commute hahaha :) ) As of right now, no we really don't, however assuming the hypothetical that we do take over any additional EOA (Pomona or other) I doubt it'd be too much trouble to hire enough staff to fill the extra shifts....of course there's other logistical hurdles such as stations and radio comms and whatnot. However hypotheticals asside I haven't heard anything official from management about the EOA bids, but I fully expect to maintain both our 2 EOA's, they might bid on Care's current one that's next to ours, but no one has really talked about it one way or the other at our level, so if I had to guess management probably expects to maintain our status quo (our 2 EOA's in the South Bay and Malibu/Calabassas without losing or gaining anything). Though next time a Supe visits my station I can ask if they've heard any rumblings about that
we shall see

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hurry up and wait lol (though hopefully by the time new EOA contracts go into effect I'll be one of those darn IAFF guys who don't worry too much about EOA's :p

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
The craigslist ad could actually be validating what was said. Remember Pomona is LA County where private medics main role is in the IFT setting. Anything out of that is treated as BLS unless given permission by fire to preform a ALS skill. Fire normally rides with BLS crew in LaCo if ALS is needed.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
McCormick isn't bulletproof. Redondo Beach is looking to dump them and do their own transports and the Torrance City Coucil directed city staff to prepare another RFP for ambulance transport services after the state Fair Political Practices Commision fined McCormick's president for making illegal campaign contributions to Mayor Furey who was the deciding vote in the decision to award them the contract...