Gold Cross Ambulance Strike

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
Is there any new news after this last session with the mediator?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This past weekend my US Army Reserve unit was conducting Airborne Operations in the desert near El Centro (Blackhawk jumps! Yay!!) and we had a Gold Cross ambulance on stand by. I asked the Medic about the strike (didn't get much of a chance to talk to the EMT) but he (the medic) said that he had just got hired within the last couple weeks and didn't know much about the strike, but said he thought they had recently reached a settlement. No other details provided.

On the second day, their ambulance broke down. It was a (relatively) newer looking Sprinter van. They were just idling in the desert (it was hot, 90-100° both days w/ really high humidity due to the passing thunderstorms), and yet apparently the fan belt just up and failed. They had to tow the rig and bring in a replacement. The crew did comment that the belt probably hadn't had any maintenance since the van was bought.

Just a bit of insight into why maybe they are/were striking if rigs are routinely breaking down just posting.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are still staffing units to go and cover the area. I have no new info on the strike aside from that.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
Still on?

I am reading still on strike.

I mean think about the service area. They already have other companies serving so this isn't like NYC when they shut down the whole city because of a transit strike.

This is a good idea and a free world so you can strike if you want to!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Don't know if I already posted this but some of their EMTs and Medics who were on strike returned to work because they needed a paycheck. It makes it near impossible to stay on strike for a long time if you have bills to pay and people to feed.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Don't know if I already posted this but some of their EMTs and Medics who were on strike returned to work because they needed a paycheck. It makes it near impossible to stay on strike for a long time if you have bills to pay and people to feed.

We picked up a couple people from Gold Cross and also lost a couple people going to Gold Cross