Going to be staged at a bike ride this weekend. I have a few questions!

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Okay so I'm a volunteer EMT-B for a fully paid station. There is a bike ride coming up in a couple days that I will be staged at with another volunteer on our own ambulance. I feel confident with my skills as an EMT, but this will be the first time I will be in charge (I'm only 19 :blink:) lol.

If we get any, what kind of chief complaints should I expect? I've never done a sporting event like this before and am not sure what to expect. Any advice would be great.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Muscle cramps, dehydration, dizziness, headaches. Abrasions etc.

Have plenty of water, cold packs, band aids, saline rinse, , gauze , sunblock , coban and if you can get permission from medical director, Advil .

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Muscle cramps, dehydration, dizziness, headaches. Abrasions etc.

Have plenty of water, cold packs, band aids, saline rinse, , gauze , sunblock , coban and if you can get permission from medical director, Advil .

Also a potential for some interesting trauma.In our area we had a flyout this past year for head lac w/ altered loc at one, and the year before a basal skull fracture.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Anything from dehydration to cardiac arrest. Anything can happen especially at bike races.

IslandTime

Forum Crew Member
We did a mini triathlon two weekends ago. We treated 3 bee stings, if you include the dog with a stung paw, one fatigued and probably dehydrated, one tumble that resulted in abrasions and a minor laceration, and one other minor that escapes me. All in all it was a fun day in the sun. Oh yeah, and yours truly should have been using sunblock. Ouch, I know better.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I've yet to see anything beyond bad road rash at a bike race. However, you should be prepared for anything from a small cut to a cardiac arrest.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Which marathon was it at that they had a cardiac arrest recently that ended up having a great outcome? Recently is a loose term, think months.

We had one in 2012 where a younger girl, mid 20s, dropped 50 yards before the finish line. Had a sudden cardiac arrest, never was defibrillated though...happened right in front of the unit and the medic doing CPR is a big dude, 250+ and like 6'6" at least. I think his compressions mad some sort of precordial thump sort of affect. The ER docs didn't believe them that she was pulseless but the two medics on scene have 25 years of experience combined and all the test showed evidence of a cardiac arrest. I guess she was awake and talking in the unit on the way to the ER.

Sorry, that was a huge tangent. Definitely lots of ice packs, water, 50/50 sports drink/water mix, band-aids, disinfectant, sunscreen and sunglasses.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
Do you know where on the course you will be posting? Is there cell phone coverage over the whole course, or will there be HAM radio SAG support?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Got medical direction and protocols?