Gift for nursing student

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
My niece started nursing school this week and I'd like to get her something. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a decent scope. Is there anything that is really helpful for a new nursing student?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My niece started nursing school this week and I'd like to get her something. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a decent scope. Is there anything that is really helpful for a new nursing student?

A PDA or other handhold device is also super helpful. Parking passes for the hospital, or gift cards for the cafeteria also helpful.

The stethoscope would be pretty long lasting, though.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

She's not a coffee drinker or I load her up with star bucks gift cards.

crazycajun

Forum Captain

Get her a Kindle from Amazon and she can download any book she needs for class, or any book she wants for reference. After school she can still use it for those boring nights at the nurses station. She can also get books from other users for free.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Get her a Kindle from Amazon and she can download any book she needs for class, or any book she wants for reference. After school she can still use it for those boring nights at the nurses station. She can also get books from other users for free.

Ooo I like that idea thanks.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'd consider a stethoscope.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Kindle isn't a bad idea, but I think it is probably hit or miss. Some people love e-readers and others really don't. If she doesn't already have one, you can't go from with getting a decent (but not overly fancy) scope. I received my first scope (a Littmann Classic II SE) as a gift 6.5 years ago and it has come with me all through my training, job, and further education.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'm going to go with a nice basic Littmann and maybe save the kindle idea for her graduation lol

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I would get her a Doctor as a gift. I would tatto him with her name cause people like to steak doctors. :eek:

I would get her an I-pad with a couple of medical applications on it.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'm going to go with a nice basic Littmann and maybe save the kindle idea for her graduation lol

Check out Ultra scopes They cost very little and work VERY well! They also have the option to have her name engraved in it, and with the hand painted bells, it's super easy to tell it out of the crowd or around someones neck!

It's also been said, and from my experience, that it's better than a littman :)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Any good stethoscope would be a wonderful gift. It doesn't have to be expensive... just not a cheap, nearly disposable one. And I absolutely second (or third) the recommendation to get the steth engraved. They very easily can walk away if you put them down somewhere...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
While we're on the subject.. Any gift ideas for the nursing school grad who already has a steth? My best friend just graduated, moved into her first place and got a new dog so I owe her like 8 gifts.

Sent from my Behold II using Tapatalk

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
While we're on the subject.. Any gift ideas for the nursing school grad who already has a steth? My best friend just graduated, moved into her first place and got a new dog so I owe her like 8 gifts.

Buy her some nice resume paper, dog food / treats / toys, and / or a printer if she doesn't have one!!! Those things will totally help her while trying to find a job!

crazycajun

Forum Captain

I would still recommend the Kindle from Amazon.

PHRNJAK

Forum Ride Along

When my sister in law graduated we got her a Vera Bradley bag, lunch box, and pencil case. they are nice gifts, sturdy, and come in handy. size of bag we got her would fit in a locker, also from working in hospitals the bag must be the open type (no zippers) I liked the bags so much, my mom got me the same thing for christmas. still use them years later.

just an idea:)

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I like the ultra scope idea. They are certainly unique.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ikea gift certificate. Supper out for two* somewhere really nice.

Some things to use outside the grind and remind her she's still a person, not a "STOOO-dent". Kindle sounds good, multi-use, buy some good headphones or buds or whatever for it (they also play music and videos, right?). Also, a way to buy some excellent shoes for clinical.

*supper for two.....not with you, Uncle BBG!!!

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I really like the look of the Ultrascopes. Has anyone besides Exodus had any experience with them? Not that I don't trust you Exodus I just want to get a few more reviews.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I really like the look of the Ultrascopes. Has anyone besides Exodus had any experience with them? Not that I don't trust you Exodus I just want to get a few more reviews.

Someone else from this forum recommended it to me. If you search for it i am sure it will come up.