Getting my EMT training in Cali, wondering about education playing into getting a job

jessalace

Forum Ride Along
I'm planning on moving to California next year, so I've been looking into EMT programs and job outlook. At this point in time, I'm fixing to take my first ems class.. and I'm also a freshman in college, working on an associates degree. So I've been wondering... if I have my associates with my EMT certification, will that really help me by much? Could me putting off my degree, and just having EMT certification kill my chance at attaining a job? I've heard finding medical jobs in California is rough.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
No need for any degree to go with getting your emt cert. Most employers don't care what education you have, just that you have the required certs. Go for a degree for yourself. Being a emt is not a long term career. Even being a paramedic may not be long term depending on where you work.

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
Having college education always helps. Is it needed for an EMT job? no, but does it look good? Of course!

What do you plan on getting your degree in?

Why not do both? Thats what I did. I am currently working on my associates degree, and I just finished EMT school. I am gonna work while I finish my degree, and that education is only gonna help later on, be it getting a job or promoting into a new position. You can't go wrong with furthering your education, and it will only help you.

You can get an EMT job in California without a degree, but it always helps to go to college too if you can.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I just have my EMT card. No degree or anything and I got hired just fine down here. But like FuManChu says it definitely looks good on a resume and will probably help you out further down the road in your career.

I got hired on to my current company with a bachelor's degree and my EMT certification. Roughly 50% of the orientation class I went in with have either an associate's or bachelor's degree.

Is a college degree needed, probably not. Does it help, you bet!

Last edited by a moderator: