getting hired as a new Medic in NYC

O 2

Forum Probie
Are there any services that have a history of hiring new medics in NYC that don't take a while to get hired on?

I'd be open to Jersey City, but I really do want to stay in the NYC system. I am going to go to Laguardia.

I have 4 yrs experience as an EMT-I & ED Tech.

Thanks!

P.S. what do new medics start at in NYC?

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I'm not sure, I had considered FDNY myself, but they do have a waiting list. I look forward to finding out what type of answers you get... :)

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I'm not sure, I had considered FDNY myself, but they do have a waiting list. I look forward to finding out what type of answers you get... :)

Also remember that FDNY doesn't hire people as medics right away. You have to work for them for a while before you can get "promoted" to ALS.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Also remember that FDNY doesn't hire people as medics right away. You have to work for them for a while before you can get "promoted" to ALS.

How so? Before I reconsidered, I was going through their process to be hired as a paramedic. I think the "promotion" you're referring to is from EMT or medic to firefighter. It's commonly known as going backdoor, as in going to the top of the hiring list for FF, over everyone else, so long as you just pass their entrance exam.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Are there any services that have a history of hiring new medics in NYC that don't take a while to get hired on?

I'd be open to Jersey City, but I really do want to stay in the NYC system. I am going to go to Laguardia.

I have 4 yrs experience as an EMT-I & ED Tech.

Thanks!

P.S. what do new medics start at in NYC?

By saying that you're going to LaGuardia, do you mean that you're currently in medic school? If so, I'd apply to FDNY EMS right now, along with the hospitals of your choosing. I know that my old employer, North Shore LIJ (not to be confused with the IFT company North Shore Ambulance) will hire with no experience. Anywhere you go you'll likely be waiting a while to be hired. I strongly recommend that you enter and complete as much of the hiring process you can for both FDNY EMS and the hospitals, even as an EMT. That way, it'll save time when you upgrade your application status to paramedic. You may already have the background, physical, psych, etc finished. Do all that while in school, while time is not of the essence.

Even if you're already a medic, I recommend getting on all the hiring lists, take all the tests and civil service exams that you can. It's not as easy to get hired as it was for me just a few short years ago. You have to wait your turn, unless you get lucky.

FDNY EMS has their salary posted on their site. When I left NYC in '07, medics in the hospitals started from 22-25/hr, and topped out from 30-35/hr, depending on where you worked. Privates, 19-22/hr.