Generic Forms

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi all,

So I'm currently working on partnering with my old HS to do standby for sporting events. Because I went to a small private school, they never felt it necessary to pay AMR to do standbys. Instead, a trainer or Doctor of one of the students would be there... but not always. In order to meet my hour requirement for Medic school, I figured this would be a good outlet to help get a few hours here and there.

Assuming that the Atheltic Director is ok with my staging the events, I would need a generic "PT Info" form as well as a "Authorization to treat a minor" form. anyone got any ideas or links?

Any help is appreciated! :)

**edit - I've looked around google and haven't found anything yet

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Congratulations on your new endeavor. Consider checking out the website of Page, Wolfberg and Wirth (a fairly well known EMS law firm), and their document library at
http://www.pwwemslaw.com/content.aspx?id=264
I dont know of any authorization to treat a minor forms.. but that may come from the registration documents that may be on file at the nurse's office at the school. I know I cite this a lot, but check out the NCEMSF PCR library for some interesting PCRs for collegiate standby organizations.
http://www.ncemsf.org/resources/pcr/

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't have much to add regarding generic forms, but consider the following:

Who will you be working for when you are doing this?

Who will provide the equipment?

Who will provide medical direction/control when the doctor isn't there?

Who will is providing insurance for you?

emp430

Forum Probie
Are you being labeled as first aide, first responder, or just assisting what on duty medical they have? You may have to do an actual PCR.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
to address the above listed concerns:

Equipment - I have most my own... with exception to AED/Backboard/c-collars and some more expensive stuff... I do however have a small O2 tank and then necessary components

Insurance - I have my own insurance as well as the fact that the school is going to blanket policy me on theirs. Im not sure how... but they're gonna explain that later.

Medical Direction - worse come to worse and its life threatining, a 911 rig is located about 0.5 miles away from the school. I can always go that route if its critical. Most of my job will be Pt assessment, O2 therapy, Ice therapy, Tape, laceration dressing, and worst case... broken bones. aside from that... I'm operating strictly based on standing orders as per SB County

I'm "labeled" as an EMT. They have trainers there... and he also has 3 years exp as a FF/EMT

So a generic PCR would be helpful :p

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm operating strictly based on standing orders as per SB County

You can't operate under the county's standing orders unless you are working for a licensed Emergency Medical Services at the time of care... If you are working for the school, they would have to get licensed as an EMS provider, or you'd have to have a medical director sign off on your protocols.

And, if you're acting as an EMT under the county's protocols, you would definitely need to have anything they require in their equipment list. I assume that includes collars, backboard, suction, defibrillator, etc.

Who's going to fill your oxygen bottle without a prescription or other form of doctor's order?

And consider that your worst case is definitely not broken bones... Have you seen all the news stories about young athletes and cardiac arrest? While it's statistically not all that likely, you should be prepared for much worse than broken bones.

All of that being said, it sounds like the school is going to protect you if anything bad happens. However, make sure they are clear on their policy and give you a copy of it. If it just refers to you as a privately contracted EMT with your own equipment, you could still be liable for not having the right equipment and things like that.

Obviously I'm not a lawyer, and I'm also not trying to say you're doing anything wrong. I just have a lot of experience with special event coverage while working independently, for a paid service, as a volunteer, and as a manager of such a service; and don't want you to get caught up in some legal trouble over something silly.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Redcrossemt - thank you for the input. I appreciate your concerns, reccomendations, and feeling on the matter. As you have more experience on doing standby's, It helps a lot!

The O2 I am getting from a friend who works at the hospital. I have given him a doctors orders sheet that allows me to pick it up whenever needed.

I am planning on getting a used backboard/c-collar for possible C-spine injuries during football season next year. As for the AED... well... my wife wants us to just get one because she thinks it could be useful to keep in the car. Something with a ECG monitor would be nice to have (Not like a powerpak though).

and thanks for the links!!! Those are the best i've found so far!

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Redcrossemt - thank you for the input. I appreciate your concerns, reccomendations, and feeling on the matter. As you have more experience on doing standby's, It helps a lot!

The O2 I am getting from a friend who works at the hospital. I have given him a doctors orders sheet that allows me to pick it up whenever needed.

I am planning on getting a used backboard/c-collar for possible C-spine injuries during football season next year. As for the AED... well... my wife wants us to just get one because she thinks it could be useful to keep in the car. Something with a ECG monitor would be nice to have (Not like a powerpak though).

and thanks for the links!!! Those are the best i've found so far!

AEDs are awfully expensive to just put one in the car, not to mention temperature and maintenance concerns. Does the school have an AED in the building you can bring out to the field? It depends on the conference or whatever, but most high schools around here actually have ambulance standbys, or at least a trainer/EMT with an AED on the field.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
AEDs are awfully expensive to just put one in the car, not to mention temperature and maintenance concerns. Does the school have an AED in the building you can bring out to the field? It depends on the conference or whatever, but most high schools around here actually have ambulance standbys, or at least a trainer/EMT with an AED on the field.

I don't think the school has one. I'll double check.

As for the one to keep in the car, I think that if you purchase one "out of pocket", insurance can reimburse you for having one (i'm not 100% sure on that).

I'll also check with the trainer to see if they provide one. My hunch is no, but ya never know. like I said before... there is an ALS rig about0.5 miles away... so early CPR with O2 should be enough. They'd make it there probably in under 1 minute. So no AED is not a huge loss..... unless they're on another call :(

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Hi all,

So I'm currently working on partnering with my old HS to do standby for sporting events. Because I went to a small private school, they never felt it necessary to pay AMR to do standbys. Instead, a trainer or Doctor of one of the students would be there... but not always. In order to meet my hour requirement for Medic school, I figured this would be a good outlet to help get a few hours here and there.

Assuming that the Atheltic Director is ok with my staging the events, I would need a generic "PT Info" form as well as a "Authorization to treat a minor" form. anyone got any ideas or links?

Any help is appreciated! :)

**edit - I've looked around google and haven't found anything yet
If you're going to do things that aren't typically within EMT scope of practice, you're going to have to function outside the EMS system, and go under the same kind of arrangement that the school uses for their trainer. IOW: a closed medical system. Ask the trainer how he/she handles that. Check with the school you're looking to attend as a medic school and see if they'll accept the time spent doing that kind of work as required experience.