Gay in EMS?

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Since you asked "in the rest of the world", well...

We have a lot of gays and lesbians in the service, but then again we also have a lot of this and that. My point is that ones sexual preference (whatever it is) should have no influence on anyone else, as long as you do not try and "enforce" it them.

I have some great friends that batting for the other side and vice versa, and we all respect each other, hell we joke about it more than anything else!!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm heartened reading this.

I've seen more EMS folks get into trouble heterosexually. And, since sexuality is not always openly advertised even today, sportsfans, you are surronded by folks who are gay and you don't even know it, the true but untestable measure of the ridiculousness of that sort of prejudice.
I served with gay folk...let me rephrase that. I was aware that some folks I served with in the military were gay, I don't know how may others may have been because it wasn't my business, but no one got into trouble due to it except one...he died of AIDS. I'd have gone to war with them, no trouble.
And, no, I AM hetero male. (photos not available despite requests...);)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, I feel it is wrong. As a Christian my values is that is of that too, now; with that saying there is a lot of things that I believe is wrong as well, such as cheating on your spouse, having an unhealthy lifestyle, not helping your fellow man, and so on.

Does this mean I am going to treat any person worse or to shun and criticize them? No. It means, it is against my values and with such I will not condone their lifestyle. Because of my faith and attempt to practice what I believe, means I treat everyone with respect, love, kindness that each person is entitled to and deserves.

Being in EMS, as well as healthcare I too have "gay" friends, and partners in EMS that were homosexual and even transgendered. They knew my views and stance, but I have never "bashed" anyone. Alike my own personal life, I do not discuss "private details" that are only for my mate and myself, I respectfully do not want to hear or discuss such events with anyone else gay or straight. I do not brag about my own sexuality, my sexual life, my desires, etc. I just respect the same from everyone else, no matter straight or gay.

I know it may be a rarity, but I really do believe when one places the uniform on they are no longer gay, female, male, Black, White, Hispanic, short, tall and so on. They are representing the profession. I want that individual to be performing their job, skills, and have the knowledge and talent to do so; really that is why we are there.

Too many people fail to understand one can disagree with other persons views or lifestyle but still respect each other. It is not that hard to agree to disagree, and still treat each other civil and with dignity.

R/r 911

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
[snip]I'm not trying to stir up a fuss, but as a gay man working in EMS, I wanted to know if what I've seen in Washington was the norm, or if it was just a happy coincidence.
I'm not sure I'd say it's a happy coincidence, however, after running for a while back in the DC area and now running out in SW Ohio, I'd say it's more an issue of where you live. I ran with several gay guys and one lesbian (that I knew of) when I was back in DC. Unfortunately, the ONE lesbian I knew of out here got fired. They made up some BS excuse of 'budget cuts' or some crap like that, but IMO, they didn't like her because she was openly bisexual and dating a woman. So they fired her and the three people that STRONGLY supported her. Gays and lesbians out here in the midwest are, overall, considerably more closested about their sexual preferences and it's because this area is considerably more. . . . . . .bass ackwar . . . . . I mean, conservative. Discrimination and bigotry are, unfortunately, alive and well out here in the midwest.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Funniest quote on the topic I ever heard was in an interview with the late Molly Ivins, a syndicated columnist. She said... "In west Texas, the gays stay in the closet, not because of being gay, but because they're afraid people will think they are democrats"

mikie

Forum Lurker
I know it may be a rarity, but I really do believe when one places the uniform on they are no longer gay, female, male, Black, White, Hispanic, short, tall and so on. They are representing the profession. I want that individual to be performing their job, skills, and have the knowledge and talent to do so; really that is why we are there.

Couldn't have said it better. I keep my personal life outside of the dept and when the tones hit, we have training or anything FD/EMS related function- it's about who we are as professionals (per se........volunteers (like myself) are included).

Say for example I have a complete homophobe or anti-Semitic patient....it might 'bother me,' but it would take nothing away from my patient care or professionalism.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I know it may be a rarity, but I really do believe when one places the uniform on they are no longer gay, female, male, Black, White, Hispanic, short, tall and so on. They are representing the profession. I want that individual to be performing their job, skills, and have the knowledge and talent to do so; really that is why we are there. R/r 911
This get's tossed around a lot, but, kind of have to wonder how many of the people who say it really believe it and actually practise it. (not pointing any fingers at you, your's was just the most recent time it was said)

I only bring it up because there are lots of similar sayings out there, from the "everyone who I work with is my brother" (despite the numerous people who get stabbed in the back by coworkers) to "I'll do anything for my partner" (except when it's something that would cause real hardship to them) that get tossed around and never get backed up with actions. It's real easy to say something, but to actually live up to it is a lot harder, and, unfortunately, it's a part of EMS, Fire, and the Police culture to say things like this, while at the same time, many people just pay lip-service to it without doing anything.

Don't really know where I'm going with it. Just wondering.

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I think the people to ask this question would be the patients......The ambulance service as well as hospitals in my area will not hire people with visible tattoos or multiple body piercings because they say it just projects a negative appearence to the public. I agree that people working in EMS should be presentable and behave in a manner that is acceptable to the public so they do not hesitate to call when they need help.

I really think this may be an area that all businesses are afraid not to hire someone, because a lot of openly gay people are very bold and verbal about gay rights and such.

I do not have any tats or piercings and I am not gay but I think it is wrong not to hire people with tats and piercings because some people do not think that there appearence is acceptable and overlook gays because they are afraid of recourse.

I know a lot of elderly and religious people that wouldn't want either of the groups that I mentioned taking care of them.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I know a lot of elderly and religious people that wouldn't want either of the groups that I mentioned taking care of them.

Oooooh! My crystal ball sees a fire storm of posts coming from this comment!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

OK... I'll start.

Tattoo's, piercings, etc are physical marks on the body... and are visible (unless covered)... Sexual orientation is "inside"... as far as the patient is concerned... keep it "don't ask, DON'T TELL" period. The patient doesn't need to know. It doesn't matter, as long as you are competent. Now is a bigot asks... well, I don't know. Maybe you can have a smartass answer ready... I guess I didn't think about that part.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I think the people to ask this question would be the patients......The ambulance service as well as hospitals in my area will not hire people with visible tattoos or multiple body piercings because they say it just projects a negative appearence to the public. I agree that people working in EMS should be presentable and behave in a manner that is acceptable to the public so they do not hesitate to call when they need help.

I really think this may be an area that all businesses are afraid not to hire someone, because a lot of openly gay people are very bold and verbal about gay rights and such.

I do not have any tats or piercings and I am not gay but I think it is wrong not to hire people with tats and piercings because some people do not think that there appearance is acceptable and overlook gays because they are afraid of recourse.

i have 7 tattoos and two piercings. Four tatts are on my forearms. i have yet to encounter a patient that i could not strike up a great conversation based on my tattoos. i usually get "so what does that one mean" or grandma going "i have one to...see". my appearance in no way shape or form denotes my abilities. granted i always wear a suit to the interview so that they cannot tell but none the less. I wear the suit to show them my character before they have a chance to judge me off my tattoos, that way when they do see that i have them they usually say, "wow, I'd of never guessed.

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
OK... I'll start.

Tattoo's, piercings, etc are physical marks on the body... and are visible (unless covered)... Sexual orientation is "inside"... as far as the patient is concerned... keep it "don't ask, DON'T TELL" period. The patient doesn't need to know. It doesn't matter, as long as you are competent. Now is a bigot asks... well, I don't know. Maybe you can have a smartass answer ready... I guess I didn't think about that part.

I guess I should have said "visibley gay" some people call them "flaming". That, is visible and some men or women might be leary of calling a ambulance.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I know what you are talking about... but can you really tell? Espicially if the person is wearing the same uniform everyone else is, and only asking you "patient care related" questions?

The patient might get a feeling... but I highly doubt they would say anything, or even ask... because that would be beyond gauche.

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I live in the deep south and this may be wrong and I don't completely agree with it, but men are expected to act like men and women are supposed to act like women, and anything out of the norm is questionable. The same kind of opinion goes for a lot of other social behaviors.

I have been in the military and been to lots of places and I have seen the different opinions in different regions so I am pretty much oblivious to most things. But its not about me and my views....its all about the patient.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I live in the deep south and this may be wrong and I don't completely agree with it, but men are expected to act like men and women are supposed to act like women, and anything out of the norm is questionable. The same kind of opinion goes for a lot of other social behaviors.

I have been in the military and been to lots of places and I have seen the different opinions in different regions so I am pretty much oblivious to most things. But its not about me and my views....its all about the patient.

The "men should act like men" ideology is RAPIDLY dissolving. Almost universally, everywhere, we have the general public and media openly embracing those who traditionally were the "scum" of society. One only has to turn on the TV and see at least a few gay/lesbian couples an hour on the larger networks. As the medical professionals most of us aspire to be, we should take the AMA and APA's position on the matter while we are at work serving as medical professionals. For those that do not know, the American Medical Association, and the American Psychological Association's offical stance on the matter concludes that Homosexuality is no longer considered a mental disorder, and that gays and lesbians probably have little or no choice in being "gay". At home/church/whatever, I don't care, but at work act like a medical professional.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The "men should act like men" ideology is RAPIDLY dissolving. Almost universally, everywhere, we have the general public and media openly embracing those who traditionally were the "scum" of society. One only has to turn on the TV and see at least a few gay/lesbian couples an hour on the larger networks. As the medical professionals most of us aspire to be, we should take the AMA and APA's position on the matter while we are at work serving as medical professionals. For those that do not know, the American Medical Association, and the American Psychological Association's offical stance on the matter concludes that Homosexuality is no longer considered a mental disorder, and that gays and lesbians probably have little or no choice in being "gay". At home/church/whatever, I don't care, but at work act like a medical professional.

Well put Daedalus! It's a matter of professionalism. If your appearance is lycra and flip flops with the tat of a rainbow colored unicorn visible in the low neckline of your blouse, it shouldn't matter what your gender or sexual orientation is, you are being inappropriate.

As for the comment about 'flaming' that is a very slippery slope. An effeminate male or a masculine female, very well may be heterosexual in sexual orientation. I personally have met many of both the above both in EMS and out.

The problem I have with the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy is that this still limits the right of homosexual partners to openly display affection. For example, when I visit my husband on shift, or drop him off outside the station at the start of shift, it's perfectly acceptable for us to exchange a brief hug or kiss goodbye. How many of you would be comfortable with a homosexual couple engaging in the same exchange? I'm not talking about a juicy tongue wrestling display, but a simple exchange of affection.

To me, its absolutely immaterial. I pick my friends based on their intelligence and personality, not their sexual orientation. The bridal shower for my first marriage was hosted by a gay couple I had known for years and I'm hosting a shower for a lesbian friend who is having a commitment ceremony this summer. My sons have openly homosexual friends of both genders and just like the heterosexual friends,as long as they are intelligent, well behaved and don't leave their beer bottles in the driveway, they are welcome.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Maybe you can have a smartass answer ready... I guess I didn't think about that part.

Hmm...I wonder what would have happend if some one else had said that. Probaly another lecture on forum rules.

Hastings

Noobie
Hmm...I wonder what would have happend if some one else had said that. Probaly another lecture on forum rules.

What do you mean? I think that's actually a solid suggestion. I have to do the same thing when patients question me about my age, since I have youthful looks. It works.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant

This has nothing to do with your geographcal locale. This is not directed towards you, but I get sick of the "Southern", or " Bible Belt" is different culture. I am a native Texan. I have a family cattle ranch in South Texas. I have grown up in Houston, the 4th largest City in the U.S. in an upper middle class area. I have a college education.

... Point is geographical location has nothing to do with ignorance, prejudice, pre concieved notion, or meaness.

As A southerner, a Texan, a devout republican, a devout catholic, and An Openly Gay FF/ Medic I have not had a problem with people at work because of my sexual orientation.

Religious views, socio economic status, sexual orientation, color, creed, etc. Has NO basis on who we are as people. We didnt chose who we are, or anything about us. We are all made in the image of a higher being. Those of us who wear the uniform be it FF/Medic/ or Leo all have the same job to do, and are a part of our own special little family that outsiders dont understand.

My sexual orientation has NOTHING to do with my job. I can put a fire out, and work a code just as well as a heterosexual. If you dont make it a huge issue, it wont be a huge issue. The people you work with should love you just as much as the next person, and if they want to treat you badly because of your sexual orientation, or any other reason for that matter; you probably sholdn't be spending your time with them in the first place.