FTO Extended Me?

CatrionaEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hi Guys!
I was on here a month ago getting ready to start my FTO'S and wondering what it took to be a good partner. I asked you all what you like to see in your partner and how I can be a good EMT.

A little background, I'm fresh out of EMT school in May, and this is my first field job.

The company does 10 FTO days and then let you out on your own...

All week, my FTO was telling me that he didn't see any problems and expected me to complete 10 and move on without a hitch. When it came to Day 9, we had our last call of the day and it was probably my second most critical (and she wasn't super critical, so it's been a slow 9 days). He had been telling me over the course of the 10 days that I had been kind of timid around the firefighters and pt, and I needed to interject more, so I went in, asked if anyone needed a hand, and helped our medic set up a start kit. Once we got her in to the ambulance, I hooked her up to everything, got her a blanket, etc...

Since it was day 9, I was doing everything without direction.

At the beginning of the call, the medic told me to start hooking her up to the lifepak. I saw Fire already was doing so (almost done) so I asked the medic "Do you want me to just set this on the back of the gurney, since fire's got it?" - he said yes, and we moved on with the call.

At the end of the night, my EMT FTO basically told me that he thought the last call went horribly. That I fumbled too much when I asked about the monitor, and that I wasn't focused. He was going to extend me a few days past 10. I asked him why he felt this way, as I genuinely thought it had been my best call of the 10 day training so far... he went on to explain that the whole reason was based on my slight pause asking about the lifepak set up. I'm going to be honest, I almost cried. I had been trying so hard over the last few weeks to really do things right, and it bugged me that the reason I'm extended was over a 1 second question.

Now, I'm by no means a sensitive person. I take constructive criticism very well... but this just seemed really odd to me. If I had been driving a little bad, or screwing up my skills, or not navigating properly / learning my area.... then I could understand the extension... but this?

They also were frustrated with me that I couldn't lift people into the ambulance on my own. Now, I passed the physical, I can lift 75-100 lbs with some ease... but the power gurney with the lifepak on it is around 60 lbs on it's own. I'm trying to work out and gain muscle as best I can, but I'm a 5'2 115 lb girl... (NOT using that as an excuse, but my frame is pretty small) - anyone under 100 lbs I have no issue with lifting to my best ability, but if she/he is over 150 - I don't see why it's wrong to ask the medic to get on one side? Eventually I hope to be able to do this on my own... but I see other people doing a two man lift all the time??? Another small issue was they were mad at me for brushing a pt's hair when she asked me to in the hospital bay. We were standing there with nothing to do, she was embarrassed by her hair and her hands were shaking, she asked if I could fix her hair, so I got a disposable comb and brushed it for her. She thanked me and that was that... but they told me "That's not our job"... a much similar thing they told me when I expressed concern over a pt who kept defecating on herself while we were on bed delay and no one would alert a doctor or nurse so they could clean her. She ended up sitting in her own mess for 2 hours... surely we could've told someone or helped in some way??

Basically just looking for answers... and maybe some suggestions. I go back tomorrow for two more training days, and I'm at a loss for what they want from me.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's hard to give you much help with only one side of the story and not knowing how you are on scene.

Your best bet is to ask what's expected of you at the start of the shift, then ask what you could've done better after each call. Assuming you'll have the same FTO- if after these shifts they say you aren't ready, ask your supervisor for a different FTO so that you can get a different perspective on how to improve (make sure your request doesn't come off as accusatory or passing blame).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's hard to give you much help with only one side of the story and not knowing how you are on scene.

Your best bet is to ask what's expected of you at the start of the shift, then ask what you could've done better after each call. Assuming you'll have the same FTO- if after these shifts they say you aren't ready, ask your supervisor for a different FTO so that you can get a different perspective on how to improve (make sure your request doesn't come off as accusatory or passing blame).

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Next time when you're asking how a particular call went and it is a less than desirable answer for you I would suggest asking your FTO when/if that situation should come up again what would you of liked me to do instead. Ask in a sincere manner of course. Make it a learned thing and not a bummed out experience for you. I completely get your feeling too so don't think I am being insensitive to your situation. Do you have a small notebook with you? Are you writing down questions to ask after each call?

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
As far as being extended, don't be discouraged. Take it has more time to work with someone who has more experience then you. I got extended on dispatch training and my FTO said it was not because of my inability to dispatch but simply he thought I would benefit from a few more days with someone to ask questions to. I was not upset or discouraged but thankful. If you are being extended due to inabilities to perform your job, ask what you can do to improve. Don't get upset, turn it around and make yourself better. It can be tough to think like the glass is always half full but I've learned you just have to some times.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
I clean patients up if we have the time and if it's needed. There are more than a few people who will tell you that isn't their job. Taking care of people is the job. If you've got the time to do a little extra for someone, there is really no reason not to. Don't feel bad for giving a damn. But use common sense too, sometimes there are bigger priorities.

Also, look into nursing. Better pay, typically less physically demanding from a brute strength perspective, and you can often bridge from RN to paramedic or even sometimes just challenge the exam if you still want to run EMS. Something to think about and it gives you more options. Always be ready to do something else, you never know what the future brings.

I moved from working as a graphic artist to EMS due to a layoff (I had gotten my EMT card 6 months before I was laid off). I went from IT systems administration to the design and print field before that just to try something new. If I were to lose my job tomorrow (injury, layoff, etc), I still have certs and experience that allows me to do computer & networking, design & print, and emergency medical services. Options are always nice.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Op, aren't you the same gal who asked about buying your FTO(s) food? Did you?! This could have proved to be a fatal mistake!...kidding.

Honestly? It's EMT, calm down. It isn't a residency, or even a full paramedic internship.
Everyone else above me has given much better advice in more articulate and "compassionate" ways, I'm sure.

That being said, I thought I had already mentioned this, but here ir goes again...
Quit trying so hard. Some FTO's don't mesh with your personality, and vice versa; se la víe.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know why fumbling a bit on that would be a huge deal. That's an easy one to get used to.

The lifts I can see being kind of frustrating, but you are right in the sense that it is easy to have a partner help. Not any drastic ways you can change that immediately.

As far as brushing someone, who gives a ****? The majority of this job isn't saving lives, it is little things like that. Don't stop doing that just because someone else can't be bothered.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
As far as brushing someone, who gives a ****?
IMG_0002.JPG

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Unless you're misrepresenting the story, it sounds like your FTO has his own issues (hero complex, or maybe just burnt out). Like others said, if he fails you, it should go better with another FTO.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
All loaded gurney lifts with the power pro cots should be 2 man lifts. That's the reason of having them, using them like manual gurneys does next to nothing to reduce injuries. Most lift injuries are caused from kinetic lifts such as lifting a patient over a railing and pulling to the gurney, or lifting the gurney and walking forward to load the gurney. End of story.

If your FTO has a problem with you actually empathizing and caring for the patient as long as their not critical, then I'm pretty sure that they are not the issue.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
All loaded gurney lifts with the power pro cots should be 2 man lifts. That's the reason of having them, using them like manual gurneys does next to nothing to reduce injuries. Most lift injuries are caused from kinetic lifts such as lifting a patient over a railing and pulling to the gurney, or lifting the gurney and walking forward to load the gurney. End of story.
This^^^, op.
Unless you're misrepresenting the story, it sounds like your FTO has his own issues (hero complex, or maybe just burnt out). Like others said, if he fails you, it should go better with another FTO.
And this^^^. My guess is the op will either be passed by said FTO, and/ or passed on to someone else. I can understand being concerned when you're new, young, and green, but as a former trainer even I knew the majority of EMT's I trained would be ok because there really isn't a whole lot that goes into this job once you get the hang of it. A lot of it will come over time, and I can't imagine EMT-B training going more than a few weeks at most.

FWIW, our company's mandatory minimum training for all new hires be it EMT, or cross-county (licensed) paramedics is 5 weeks; there have been a few exceptions.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Honestly OP, I would take the extra days almost as a blessing.
As a few have mentioned, in the grand scheme of things, nine or ten days is a drop in the bucket. The agency I have been with for a number of years now runs all recruits (who are already certified btw) through an 8 week "academy" that works out to be roughly 4 weeks classroom and 4 weeks field. Class time is first and covers lifting in various scenarios, important skill/equipment review and "tactics" such as some verbal judo, basic self defense maneuvers and legal stuff/policies. After all that, and the 4 weeks of ride time in a busy urban system, myself and most of my fellow recruits still felt nervous for our first days on our own... Relax, take your time, you'll get there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CatrionaEMT

CatrionaEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thank you all for your replies. I was extended for one extra day after I talked to a supervisor and my FTO. I explained my concerns, and once I brought it up - he re-thought the decision. I did this in a very nice way too - not *****y.

I guess I was getting extremely upset by the "extension" because I had already been through 4 weeks of orientation full time, and then full time shifts for training FTO. I got this job in August, and started orientation/training in September. This was after I failed the first physical, hired a personal trainer, went to the gym every day for 3 weeks and passed it the second time. I wanted this job. I was getting itchy to be doing the job already out on my own...

But, this particular FTO, was a little hard to get along with. The paramedic stuck up for me, and even asked if I'd be willing to take over the FTO's shift when he leaves for vacation in December. So, that gave me a boost that he thought I was doing well with the job.

My main goal is Paramedic, and after I explore that for a little while - I want to go into Cardiology, but I wanted to see the backgrounds of the patients and what goes into getting them to the hospital before I jumped into med school. I also love the trauma side of things.

Thanks to all of you for the opinions and encouraging words :D

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Sound more like either your FTO, or maybe your system, has institutional problems.

If i ever caught one of my employees giving another employee grief for asking for help lifting or brushing a patients hair, they'd be in my office. Safe lifting and moving, safe driving, and comfort care are the thing i value very much and try to instill in my people. And i have zero tolerance for anyone who feels differently