From medic to rn

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
We have a 15 month accelerated program at my school as well. You must have a bachelor degree in another field as well as all nursing prereqs done before starting the program.

I just don't get it... why not complete a masters degree instead of collecting multiple undergraduate degrees? Its not moving forward IMO. Better yet why not become a higher level provider like a PA in almost the same amount of time? To each there own I suppose.....

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I just don't get it... why not complete a masters degree instead of collecting multiple undergraduate degrees? Its not moving forward IMO. Better yet why not become a higher level provider like a PA in almost the same amount of time? To each there own I suppose.....

Many of the people in the program got bachelors in stagnant career fields and could not find adequate jobs for their level of education and thought healthcare would be a better career path. I know there were a lot of psychology majors in the last class.

For a person who has never worked in the health care field jumping right into a PA program may not be ideal. Especially those who have degrees in a totally unrelated field.

Also, for a person who just spent 4 years in college accumulating debt and is now under or unemployed that extra year of schooling and no work may not be feasible.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Also, for a person who just spent 4 years in college accumulating debt and is now under or unemployed that extra year of schooling and no work may not be feasible.

This.

Plus, many PA programs require science (physics, o-chem) or volunteer time pre-reqs that many second-degree students don't have, which means adds to the additional time that the PA program would require.

And of course not everyone wants to be a PA. There are some really good jobs in nursing.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
This.

Plus, many PA programs require science (physics, o-chem) or volunteer time pre-reqs that many second-degree students don't have, which means adds to the additional time that the PA program would require.

And of course not everyone wants to be a PA. There are some really good jobs in nursing.

But we are talking about someone with an undergraduate degree already, why keep collecting different undergraduate degree's?

A BSN requires most of the same science pre-rec's as many PA programs correct? (A&P 1,2,3, Organic Chem, bio, ect.)

Some of the post above suggest going back to school for well over a year, almost 2 years in some cases for RN even if you have a bachelors.

In terms of volunteer time I believe for most PA programs its documented patient care hours. You can document and use your time as an EMT or Paramedic.

If nursing is your passion and you would rather take orders from a PA, commit almost the same amount of time and money for your education to complete another undergraduate degree instead of a masters/PA(within months of the same time... not years) more power to you.

or check my post under the employment section about the EMS research fellowship. The NREMT will pay for your masters and PhD!!!

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
If nursing is your passion and you would rather take orders from a PA, commit almost the same amount of time and money for your education to complete another undergraduate degree instead of a masters/PA(within months of the same time... not years) more power to you.

It is all relative and personal preference. The nursing profession has a lot to offer especially as a nurse practioner. I personally would pick ACNP/CRNA over PA. Also the hospitalist PAs here do not really make that much. There are a few float pool staff nurses who around the same amount.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
It is all relative and personal preference. The nursing profession has a lot to offer especially as a nurse practioner. I personally would pick ACNP/CRNA over PA. Also the hospitalist PAs here do not really make that much. There are a few float pool staff nurses who around the same amount.

And how many more years would that be? Person allready has a 4 year degree in another field. Now we are saying they go for 1-2 years past the worthless undergraduate degree in question to earn the the BSN and RN? 2+ or more for NP after the 1 or 2 from BSN. Hell, just go to Medical school now. M.D. right?

Summit

Critical Crazy
ABSN v PA
1. These are different jobs. Different people want to do different jobs and different jobs need different types of people.

2. There are different levels of commitment, cost, and rigor in each of these curricula. PA (and direct entry NP) programs are typically more comptetive, expensive, and longer than a 12 month ABSN.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
But we are talking about someone with an undergraduate degree already, why keep collecting different undergraduate degree's?
I wouldn't quite call getting a second degree "collecting" degrees.....maybe if it was a 3rd or 4th degree.

A BSN requires most of the same science pre-rec's as many PA programs correct? (A&P 1,2,3, Organic Chem, bio, ect.)
No.

I've never seen a BSN program that required o-chem. There may be some, but it's not the norm. Also, physics is required of many PA programs, and I've never seen that required of a BSN program.

Taking the pre-reqs for PA school could potentially add a full year, depending on specifically which courses you already have vs. specifically which courses are required by the programs vs what the course calendar and sequence is at the school where you are taking them.

Bottom line is that depending on the individual's specific situation, it could potentially take 1.5 or 2 years longer - twice as long - to do a PA program vs. RN.

And how many more years would that be? Person allready has a 4 year degree in another field. Now we are saying they go for 1-2 years past the worthless undergraduate degree in question to earn the the BSN and RN? 2+ or more for NP after the 1 or 2 from BSN. Hell, just go to Medical school now. M.D. right?

There are some important things that you are not considering.

First, if you have no job, the 1-2 year difference between an ABSN program and a PA program may be a very big deal.

Second, if you already have a ton of student loan debt, that extra year or two of school can also be a very big deal. Don't forget that grad credits generally cost quite a bit more than undergrad.

So if you factor in an extra 1-2 year's tuition at the potentially much higher graduate rate, plus the extra year or two of no income, you could be a looking at a MAJOR difference financially.

The other thing you aren't thinking about is that many hospitals will pay for most or all of a graduate program in nursing, and because many APN programs are part-time, you can continue to work and bring in a full- or part-time salary during grad school. Something that is tough or impossible to do they way most PA programs are structured.

So even if someone with a BS did want to be a PA, they may find it much more cost effective to get the BSN and then go to school for their APN for free.

Not sure why you are trying so hard to denigrate the choices of others.

As I just laid out, it's not necessarily the same amount of time and money....in fact the difference can be very substantial.

And as was already explained, not everyone wants to be a PA.

I've never really had any interest in being a PA.

I've had a great career as a flight nurse and as an EMS educator, both things I could not have done as a PA (and where, FWIW, I never took as single order from a PA).

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't really agree, but as I said "more power to you" whatever floats your boat, different strokes for different folks, and all those other corny expressions. I would just encourage people to look at all their options.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't really agree, but as I said "more power to you" whatever floats your boat, different strokes for different folks, and all those other corny expressions. I would just encourage people to look at all their options.

Interesting, coming from someone who keeps denigrating the choices of others.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Well I am sorry if it came across that way. It was not my intention to unfairly criticize one choice over the other. I just have my opinion on the matter, which happens to be a pretty strong one. I thought for discussions sake we could look at other viable options here that could provide a better opportunity for some individuals.
I also think if we all had the same opinion on this forum, it would be a pretty boring place for discussions.