From medic to rn

dcolbert3

Forum Crew Member
Anyone here done the bridge course after getting their medic to Rn?

I'm looking into it and just wanted to hear from some people who have done it.

Thanks!

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
If your plan is to be a nurse, why are you going to medic school? Considering time invested and depending on your goals it might be better to just go ahead and go to nursing school.

To answer your question though, all of the medics I know who are now nurses had to do a lot of work to figure out schooling on a rotating schedule. This can be very difficult to work out. The ones who have done it are some of the best medics I know though (they're all ICU nurses too, for what it's worth.)

Summit

Critical Crazy
It is more money/time efficient, not to mention easier, to bridge RN->paramedic than paramedic->RN. Either way, it is a long road.

The more important question: Which do you really want to be, or do you really want to be both?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I know some guys who work for fire departments and got their RN through a bridge program. On their off days they make a ton of money working an 8 or 12 as a traveling/substitute RN. Its definitely not a bad deal, especially if your department is willing to do tuition reimbursement. This is the program they went through I am actually contemplating the same thing.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I am currently in a bridge program through a local community college. The course work is an absolute breeze, but the schedule itself is tough. Working full time and having a family makes it a challenge, yet doable.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm going through a "traditional" RN program. California has a very few programs that will give credit for paramedic licensure. The one I looked at only "saved" about one semester, compared to their traditional program. I would have to say that it all really depends upon the bridge program you're looking to get into. The traditional brick & mortar programs that have clinicals that run concurrent with the corresponding didactic stuff is far more readily accepted for reciprocal licensure/license endorsement in the rest of the states.

If I'd realized earlier what I was going to do as a career, I'd have gone RN to Medic rather than Medic then RN.

HN8404

Forum Probie
what degree level?

With the bridge program from medic to RN what degree level are most schools offering?

Are they only offering an associates in nursing or are there programs that offer a bachelors in nursing when signing up?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
IMO I think with your current degree and the time your spending doing this, you might as well just spend a 6-12 months longer and knock out your PA with a Masters :)

I'm going through a "traditional" RN program. California has a very few programs that will give credit for paramedic licensure.

Summit

Critical Crazy
With the bridge program from medic to RN what degree level are most schools offering?

Are they only offering an associates in nursing or are there programs that offer a bachelors in nursing when signing up?

Some are BSN (and these programs usually only save you a semester or, usually, a fraction of a semester in credit). Most are ADN and save a fraction of a semester up to two semesters.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
IMO I think with your current degree and the time your spending doing this, you might as well just spend a 6-12 months longer and knock out your PA with a Masters :)
Well, I did consider that... and realized I might just be better off knocking myself out. :rofl:

JNLEMT

Forum Ride Along
Reasons for EMT-P to RN bridge path

Taking a stab at replying for the OP...

In my state, anyway, one has to take a good year of prerequisites for any nursing program. After that, you have only 25 of every 700 applicants are accepted, so that even A+ students can end up in the entrance lottery. Then it will take another year before you even start the program. There are very few, if any, part-time programs, but if you can find one, they are 3-4 years.

Non-degree paramedic programs are quick entry for EMTs, start twice per year, take 2 years part-time and then you can do Excelsior's bridge program on your own schedule, for 6 months - 18 months, depending on whether you have any previous college. (It can take just 6 months if you are a good study and have core college credits already).

In addition to all that, you have two qualifications when you are done, not just one.

If your plan is to be a nurse, why are you going to medic school? Considering time invested and depending on your goals it might be better to just go ahead and go to nursing school.

To answer your question though, all of the medics I know who are now nurses had to do a lot of work to figure out schooling on a rotating schedule. This can be very difficult to work out. The ones who have done it are some of the best medics I know though (they're all ICU nurses too, for what it's worth.)

Summit

Critical Crazy
Excelsior...

Non-degree paramedic programs are quick entry for EMTs, start twice per year, take 2 years part-time and then you can do Excelsior's bridge program on your own schedule, for 6 months - 18 months, depending on whether you have any previous college. (It can take just 6 months if you are a good study and have core college credits already).

Excelsior is a suspect program because it is ENTIRELY ONLINE and has ZERO CLINICALS. For this reason, several states outright refuse to grant RN licenses to Excelsior graduates, EVER, and many states won't grant a license without hundreds or thousands of clinicals (that the student, not Excelsior, is responsible for arranging (good luck!)) and/or months or years of practice as an RN in another state. In all these instances, an applicant is reviewed on a case by case basis by the BON for RN licensing.

The Excelsior program was not designed as a shortcut into nursing. The Excelsior program was designed as an alternate pathway for those with many years of experience in the medical field. For some of these people, it works out. However, completion times can be very long, completion rates low, and employability difficult, even for those with experience. Many people try to use it as a shortcut and get an even ruder awakening.

There is an oversupply of new RNs and competition by schools for clinical placements. Guess who will be hired, the ADN with no clinicals, or ANY OTHER CANDIDATE.

Caveat Emptor

Last edited by a moderator:

JNLEMT

Forum Ride Along
Actually

There's a critical shortage of nurses where I live. And Excelsior nursing graduates are automatically eligible to sit for the boards (in most states). Excelsior requires a certain number of clinical working hours in healthcare before you can even apply, so that Excelsior grads have just as many clinical hours as someone who just finished an accelerated full-time, one-year BSN program around here.

However, in our area there are hospitals who accept student nurses from any school, including Excelsior, for clinical practice (volunteer), so that's what smart Excelsior nursing students do.

Summit

Critical Crazy
There's a critical shortage of nurses where I live. And Excelsior nursing graduates are automatically eligible to sit for the boards (in most states). Excelsior requires a certain number of clinical working hours in healthcare before you can even apply, so that Excelsior grads have just as many clinical hours as someone who just finished an accelerated full-time, one-year BSN program around here.

However, in our area there are hospitals who accept student nurses from any school, including Excelsior, for clinical practice (volunteer), so that's what smart Excelsior nursing students do.

Does it look good to go to a school were more than 25% of the states won't give you a license after graduation? Any other school is going to have REAL NURSING clinicals and licensing in any state. It sounds like shortcuts and mediocrity.

I'll just say that you appear to be misinformed... being a volunteer at a hospital is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like clinical rotations with regard to scope, precepting, education, opportunity, and learning. Non-nursing experience is not considered nursing clinical or nursing experience by hiring managers or any other nursing academic instution. There may be trasnferrable skills, but it is NOT the same. That is why so many states won't license Excelsior grads.

As far as there being a shortage in your area, well, you know your area, but do you know that because you've actually looked at how many new graduate positions are available and how difficult new graduate job searches are? Or did you hear that there is a nursing shortage from some news story, nursing school, or hospital worker who doesn't know the difference between shortages of experienced nurses and new nurses?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Excelsior is certainly not for everyone, but for some it is an excellent option.

Does it look good to go to a school were more than 25% of the states won't give you a license after graduation?

Well, how it "looks" is subjective of course, but there are many who are impressed by the self-discipline and motivation required to do the program. It's not easy at all.

25% sounds like a lot, but there are 37 states that have no additional licensure requirements for Excelsior grads. And most of the ones that do have additional requirements are pretty minimal; only a few have truly onerous additional requirements.

Only 1 state won't license Excelsior grads at all, and that state is....surprise, surprise.....Kalifornia.

Excelsior is a suspect program because it is ENTIRELY ONLINE and has ZERO CLINICALS.
In my experience, Excelsior new grads are, on average, more mature, much more experienced, and at least as intelligent and competent as the new grads from traditional RN programs. The majority are LPN's who have years of nursing experience before even starting the program. Most of the rest are RRT's or EMT-Ps, and the balance is made up of other experienced healthcare professionals.

Last I saw, Excelsior's nursing program had an above-average first-attempt board pass rate and no higher evidence of adverse outcomes than other new grads.

So the few BON's who refuse to acknowledge Excelsior degrees do not do so because Excelsior grads are unsafe. Knowing BON's the way that I do, I suspect the anti-Excelsior BON's stance is a spiteful reaction to their lack of direct control over the program.

Any other school is going to have REAL NURSING clinicals and licensing in any state. It sounds like shortcuts and mediocrity.

That's because any other nursing school doesn't require documented clinical experience and a rigorous clinical exam at the end that has something like a 25% first-attempt pass rate.

The "real nursing clinical" done in many nursing schools is 90% BS. I think a combination of accepting previous "real" clinical experience and a rigorous clinical exam is an effective, innovative, and time-efficient approach.

JNLEMT

Forum Ride Along
Excelsior 2

It's not "just" a volunteer position. It is a student nursing program.

A friend of mine just went from zero clinical/medical education and experience to a BSN in 15 months. If you feel that is the "real deal" whereas 24 months of EMT and paramedic school, followed by a year or so more for an RN, then another year for the BSN is a short cut, we will have to agree to disagree.

The very thing I like about the less traditional route is that there is more room for clinical experience when you don't have to travel to class.

That said, there is an EMT-P to RN program in Kansas that involves clinicals. I was considering that one as an alternative because of that.

Does it look good to go to a school were more than 25% of the states won't give you a license after graduation? Any other school is going to have REAL NURSING clinicals and licensing in any state. It sounds like shortcuts and mediocrity.

I'll just say that you appear to be misinformed... being a volunteer at a hospital is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like clinical rotations with regard to scope, precepting, education, opportunity, and learning. Non-nursing experience is not considered nursing clinical or nursing experience by hiring managers or any other nursing academic instution. There may be trasnferrable skills, but it is NOT the same. That is why so many states won't license Excelsior grads.

As far as there being a shortage in your area, well, you know your area, but do you know that because you've actually looked at how many new graduate positions are available and how difficult new graduate job searches are? Or did you hear that there is a nursing shortage from some news story, nursing school, or hospital worker who doesn't know the difference between shortages of experienced nurses and new nurses?

JNLEMT

Forum Ride Along
Ps

There are too many LPNs for the number of job openings here, an even number of RNs, not enough BSNs, MSNs, APRNs, according to labor stats.

It's not "just" a volunteer position. It is a student nursing program.

A friend of mine just went from zero clinical/medical education and experience to a BSN in 15 months. If you feel that is the "real deal" whereas 24 months of EMT and paramedic school, followed by a year or so more for an RN, then another year for the BSN is a short cut, we will have to agree to disagree.

The very thing I like about the less traditional route is that there is more room for clinical experience when you don't have to travel to class.

That said, there is an EMT-P to RN program in Kansas that involves clinicals. I was considering that one as an alternative because of that.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

We have a 15 month accelerated program at my school as well. You must have a bachelor degree in another field as well as all nursing prereqs done before starting the program. They take the exact same classes and complete the same amount of clinical hours that I did in my 2 year program however it is condensed and accelerated on a different schedule. They had class pretty much all day every day for 15 months. I would not consider it a short cut at all. That being said I would never do the accelerated since many of my friends said it was miserable.

And in most places that 24 months of EMT/Paramedic school is a joke and has no relevance to nursing school. All of the information taught is usually retaught in nursing school on a much more comprehensive level.

Well, how it "looks" is subjective of course, but there are many who are impressed by the self-discipline and motivation required to do the program. It's not easy at all.
ents are pretty minimal; only a few have truly onerous additional requirements.

I have heard the opposite by a few people, one of which is on the admission commission for a CRNA school. Their rationale was that anyone can get good grades doing one class at a time but it does not prove they will be able to handle a full graduate course load. However that is just an opinion

I do have a friend who went the Medic - excelsior - online RN-BSN, route who is having a very hard time getting into CRNA school. Obviously there are tons of factors that go into it but I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Again just a guess not a fact.

The "real nursing clinical" done in many nursing schools is 90% BS. I think a combination of accepting previous "real" clinical experience and a rigorous clinical exam is an effective, innovative, and time-efficient approach.

I wouldn't say 90% of my clincals were BS. The first semester definitely was; we basically paid thousands of dollars to do a tech job for a semester and learned very little about nursing. But after that I feel that all my clinicals were exceptional and beneficial.

JNLEMT

Forum Ride Along
Well, I can't speak for every school or experience or student, but my friend's zero-to-BSN program was academically grueling and yet, when we talk shop, she feels very anxiety-stricken that she doesn't know how to draw blood or read an EKG. She feels her BSN was more about chemistry and terminology and theory than actual practical and hands-on experience, whereas a paramedic education and experience really throws you into the mix. So... again, can't speak for everyone. I can only research, compare and talk to those I know about their experiences.

And in most places that 24 months of EMT/Paramedic school is a joke and has no relevance to nursing school. All of the information taught is usually retaught in nursing school on a much more comprehensive level.

I have heard the opposite by a few people, one of which is on the admission commission for a CRNA school. Their rationale was that anyone can get good grades doing one class at a time but it does not prove they will be able to handle a full graduate course load. However that is just an opinion

I do have a friend who went the Medic - excelsior - online RN-BSN, route who is having a very hard time getting into CRNA school. Obviously there are tons of factors that go into it but I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Again just a guess not a fact.

I wouldn't say 90% of my clincals were BS. The first semester definitely was; we basically paid thousands of dollars to do a tech job for a semester and learned very little about nursing. But after that I feel that all my clinicals were exceptional and beneficial.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Indeed there are accelerated BSN programs that range from 12-18 months. Understand that these programs are 5-7 days a week and there may only be 1-2 week long breaks in the whole program. They all have bachelors degrees and all prereqs (usually with stellar GPAs) before entering and get a BSN at the end with the same amount of class and clinical as a traditional BSN.

Excelsior may require a year of clinical practice, but one can do an EMT boot camp, a 4 month medic program, and spend a year on an IFT truck. Then one could spend 4-5 years taking one self-paced course at a time to earn an associates degree.

Actually, a year on an IFT truck is probably not bad prep for nursing school. The point is that Excelsior wasn't designed as a destination pathway to nursing for those still contemplating how to participate in healthcare above the EMT/CNA level. It was designed for those experienced LPN/RRT/Medics/Corpsmen wanting to transition to nursing.

Same here... I'd say my first 120 hours of clinical were "BS"... the following 1400+ hours of clinical were educational, and the majority were directly relevant to my current position.

----------------------------

There are many seasoned medics who want a change in their career. Excelsior serve these people, but there is a price. There is a subset of experienced provider students can gain much from Excelsior. They often have HUGE HURDLES beyond simply being able to do all their studying on their own, even in states without the additional requirement. If you ask me, bragging about the CPNE, a 3-day sim-lab practical that is easy to fail, is not a major selling point to employers. Paramedics pass the NREMT final practicals, but they still had clinicals.