From Illinois to Texas

joeboo

Forum Probie
Hey everyone,

I'm getting into EMS, and will be taking all my classes and testing in Illinois. Being originally from Texas, I would one day like to relocate back to the promise land(Texas of course):)
Just wondering how my license and schooling will be accepted down there. If at all??

Thanks guys

Jab

8jimi8

CFRN
nremt.org i tried to find the exact page so i could link it for you, but i realized that you could look too. I can't remember right off if Illinois is in our group, but i'm pretty sure that Texas is in the largest group of reciprocal license agreement states.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Get your NREMT, apply for reciprocity, pay the state their money, and you're done.

Don Gwinn

Forum Probie
Sooo . . . if I might want to go to Texas at some point, I'd be better off taking the NREMT than the Illinois state test? I've been wondering about that. I looked into Tennessee, and it didn't seem like there was any advantage to the NREMT over Illinois state.

I don't know for certain that I'll be relocating, but it's a possibility. I don't know where, other than that I'd like to go to one of a few southern states (I would be moving for cultural/political reasons, but my wife has decreed that we shall not move to any other state with Illinois winters.)

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
In IL you will have to take the state test no matter what. You can still take the NREMT but you will have to take the state test also.

Don Gwinn

Forum Probie
That's simple enough. It was presented to us as a choice, with the NREMT being discouraged because it was supposed to be so much more difficult than the state exam, but I fear no written exam.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you ever have ANY inkling of moving to most any other part of the country, it would behoove you to do the NREMT... personal views on the test aside.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I was told that we had to take the IL state test and that we can take the NREMT if we want.. I am going to just not right now :)