FP-C without a class...

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Just got access to the ResQ shop's review course so I will be starting on that over the next few days. Plan on taking the CFRN after that. Anyone else take the course?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Just got access to the ResQ shop's review course so I will be starting on that over the next few days. Plan on taking the CFRN after that. Anyone else take the course?

Have buddies who have used Will's videos and claimed they are excellent. I have to do my FP-C renewal before March :(

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I also just started using them. alobg with Back to Basics, the ACE SAT and the FP-C Comprehensive study guide.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I still stand by Orchid's book, I just couldn't get into the Will Wingfield one.

I think if you've been doing it for some time, and/ or see your fair share of calls pertinent to most scenarios that you're presented with during these exams, winging it probably works.

This isn't meant to be discouraging, but then again I am still fairly new to the environment.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Just took and passed the CFRN. I would highly recommend the Wingfield course, the information was excellent.
congrats :D!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Talking with our on coming crew this morning made me realize, perhaps some of those interested in critical care or flight don't know exactly where to begin when it comes to getting their foot in the door, studying for these exams, and not to mention the ever so important networking.

So here are a few of the big names in critical care conferences. There are tons others that are out there that are also helpful. I just remember being overwhelmed, and intimidated in the beginning as well. Good luck to any, and all interested...

https://www.ampa.org/

http://aams.org/education-meetings/

http://www.emsworldexpo.com/critical-care

http://astna.org/?page=CCTMC

Last edited:

8jimi8

CFRN
can you do it? What resources did you use?

(As an aside, FIRST POST!)

I watched the ACE Prep videos and took notes on all of the reported feedback items (yellow and red). I also skimmed over Kyle Faudree's Flight Paramedic Certification A comprehensive Study Guide. I did not take a course. Passed first try. If anyone wants a copy of my typed notes or a link to the guide shoot me an email and i'll send you a link to both. A class is not necessary if you look over this material and feel comfortable with it. I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on testing, if you are fresh out of school with no experience.

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
Here is a thumbnail of the books I used for the FP-C, CCP-C, CTRN, and CFRN. I have never taken a review class, nor have I re-certified by CME. If you read enough of these books, and do enough practice MCQs with detailed rationales, you will do well on the exam.

View attachment 3002

Which of these books do you recommend for studying for the CCP-C exam?

8jimi8

CFRN
Back To Basics by Orchid Lopez.
Kyle Faudree's FPC A Comprehensive Review. If I was to redo it for the first time that is all i would use.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Take aways from this thread.

1. Spend lots of money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yes, and the ACE SAT.
TBCH, I'm not a big fan of Wingfield's book. Between BTB, Creighton's course, and my OTJ critical care training it's piecing together fairly well. I tried the ACE SAT book, and just could not get into his methodologies, but to be fair my head was filled to the brim with stuff I had just reviewed at/ with Creighton.

Going back and forth between Orchid's, and Wingfield's books isn't something that I personally would advocate for without a good grasp of critical care field, and/ or in-hospital knowledge.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks to a member here and one of the flight medics at our HEMS service I have enough PDF copies and videos to keep me going for a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I do NOT feel like I could even remotely think about winging it.

You take the test yet? I just recerted by exam two days ago. Crammed for about an hour before the test and 30 minutes the night prior and had no trouble passing it for the 3rd recert time.... Each time I tell myself "I will never do that again and I am going to do a better job at tracking my CE's", then 4 years comes along and I am at the testing computer again lol.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
No. Keep putting it off. I get nervous before I sign up and say,"I'll do it next week".