FOAMed Video - Naloxone Pharmacology

Paramedic Resource

Forum Crew Member
Hey all!

Back again with a requested video, how did I do? Disagree with any of the presented data?

Anyone have a source for the peak of duration for any of Naloxone's routes? I couldn't find anything

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't mean this in any bad way, but my opinion of the video was "It was fine."

What is your target audience? The information provided is pretty basic and would be best for maybe an EMT or aspiring paramedic student.

I think there could've been opportunity to go into more detail into the physiology, especially for the last point for precautions. I hate teaching new paramedics to be careful when administering Narcan because of the "come up swinging" effect. This is really only true if you dose too heavy or too quickly, and we should focus on teaching how to administer it properly.

Also, and maybe this is of too little use to include, but when I did my own personal detailed drug profiles, I like to include uncommon uses and other trivial things. For Narcan, for example, there has been some study of using it in the treatment of sepsis.