Florida to Washington State

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
I have a Florida State EMT-B and Paramedic license. I want to move to Washington State and continue working in the EMS field. My EMT National expired and I'm in the process of renewing. So what do I need to transfer over to Washington and work as a EMT and Paramedic? Someone gave me a website that was really not clear..hard to understand. If anyone knows I appreciate it.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know but interesting post.

Me myself...I am CNA and RN. I just renewed my CNA however so I am seeking jobs as well for either CNA or RN.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
"Proof of valid EMS certification from another state or national certifying agency
approved by the department.

Paramedic applicants: proof of successful completion of a paramedic program.
Submit a copy of a course completion certificate, letter, or transcripts from the
paramedic training program. Applicants completing training after June 30, 1996,
must have completed a paramedic program accredited by a national accrediting
organization approved by the department.

Accredited programs may be found at
http://www.caahep.org/
Applicants must have passed a Department of Health approved certification
examination for the level of certification. The score is valid for twelve months
from the date of the examination. After twelve months, a passing score on a
department-approved certification examination is required. Applicants will have
three attempts within twelve months from the first examination date to pass the
examination. After three unsuccessful attempts or twelve months, the applicant
must complete an approved initial EMS course to reapply for certification."

I would say call the DOH regarding the exam.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
So, here's the deal. As you already found out, you MUST be affiliated with an agency BEFORE you're able to be certified. That means a job, as there are very few, if any, volunteer paramedic positions available. (Jefferson County District 3, maybe)

Once you're affiliated you're on the way to your cert. WA does initial testing with NR, but doesn't require you to keep it. (Or they didn't when I left a few years ago)

Getting your cert is a long, somewhat convoluted procedure, but mostly painless. The DOH is helpful when you get them on the phone.

I suggest Olympic Ambulance in Bremerton as a start point. They're close to Seattle, they hire medics for IFT and the pay is decent. That will at least get you a WA cert and in the door.

OP
OP
D

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
So, here's the deal. As you already found out, you MUST be affiliated with an agency BEFORE you're able to be certified. That means a job, as there are very few, if any, volunteer paramedic positions available. (Jefferson County District 3, maybe)

Once you're affiliated you're on the way to your cert. WA does initial testing with NR, but doesn't require you to keep it. (Or they didn't when I left a few years ago)

Getting your cert is a long, somewhat convoluted procedure, but mostly painless. The DOH is helpful when you get them on the phone.

I suggest Olympic Ambulance in Bremerton as a start point. They're close to Seattle, they hire medics for IFT and the pay is decent. That will at least get you a WA cert and in the door.

I'm working for a private ambulance company at the moment. I was hoping to get a transfer to Seattle/Tacoma area. So if that goes through than I will have affiliation. I'll look into the company that you mentioned as well. My lease is up in May. I'm hoping to move in May. Do you think this is enough time to get the paperwork done? I'm completing the refresher to renew my National EMT.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm working for a private ambulance company at the moment. I was hoping to get a transfer to Seattle/Tacoma area. So if that goes through than I will have affiliation. I'll look into the company that you mentioned as well. My lease is up in May. I'm hoping to move in May. Do you think this is enough time to get the paperwork done? I'm completing the refresher to renew my National EMT.

You actually have to be affiliated with an agency in Washington State.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

IF you're talking about AMR, transferring to the WA state operations is rather easy, as they will help you get your state card. I'm not sure what other ambulance companies operate up there and in other states, so I'm betting the Evil Empire is the one you're talking about

OP
OP
D

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
Who is the Evil Empire? I used to work with AMR. But I'm working with American Ambulance...Falck. I heard they have a division in the Pacific Northwest.

NomadicMedic

I didn't think Falck NW was employing Paramedics. Has that changed? If so, it'll just be IFT.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
I didn't think Falck NW was employing Paramedics. Has that changed? If so, it'll just be IFT.

Based on their application page, they're hiring paramedics for Pierce County. I didn't know they had any presence down there.

PotatoMedic

My understanding is they have a rig or two down in pierce county.

OP
OP
D

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
Florida has some of the highest standards, but so does Washington. I hope that having a National license and getting a transfer will be enough. To start off at least. I really want a change of scenery and I liked Washington. My wife wants to go there too. I have until May to make it happen somehow.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Florida has some of the highest standards, but so does Washington. I hope that having a National license and getting a transfer will be enough. To start off at least. I really want a change of scenery and I liked Washington. My wife wants to go there too. I have until May to make it happen somehow.

I hope you're joking about high standards... The FL state test was a joke. I thought registry was much harder

NomadicMedic

And just so you are fully aware, the ONLY way to make a decent living as a paramedic in Washington state is to work as a fire medic or with King County Medic One. Period.

PotatoMedic

And just so you are fully aware, the ONLY way to make a decent living as a paramedic in Washington state is to work as a fire medic or with King County Medic One. Period.

And that is why, as much as it is going to kill me, I want to move out of the state.

OP
OP
D

dalmain

Forum Crew Member

It's not exactly great in Florida either. You can't really make a decent living as a paramedic in Florida unless you're working for one of the major fire departments and it's incredibly difficult to get in. Way too much competition and politics. I visited Seattle this past October and was impressed with the place. My wife has a friend that lives there as well. I'm looking for change and a better place to raise my family. As a EMT or Paramedic I may not make much but I hope it's enough that I can provide shelter and food for my family. Heck I'll get a second job even. Hopefully in time I can find something better. I heard Seattle Fire was going to re open in March. I'm just dying to get out of Florida and it's not the best place to raise kids where I currently live.

NomadicMedic

I loved Seattle, and would have loved to stay... But there are MANY better choices that are more affordable and provide better opportunities for an EMS career and subsequent advancement. Competition for fire jobs in Washington is ridiculous. Easily 300+ applicants for each opening. The paramedic openings are just as bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
I heard Seattle Fire was going to re open in March.

You missed the window for this round of hiring; they did written tests last month and the first round of oral boards starts in a week or two.

And even if you manage to get hired, you'll still have to work for at least a few years as a firefighter/emt, then start testing for paramedic positions, go back through paramedic school....

PotatoMedic

you could keep an eye out for KCMO. Have to go through medic school again but you would go straight to being a medic and not have to deal with all the firefighting stuff.

OP
OP
D

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
KCMO. Medic One? King county is south of Seattle right? Seattle is Pierce? I heard that Falck has a division in Fife, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. That area seems to be more affordable than Seattle. How long is the paramedic program in Washington State? My school in Florida was nearly a year and a half and I would not want to go to school for that long again for something I've done already. Oh, and 300 people for one position is nothing compared to the 1,000's or more you have going for a few positions at the major fire departments in Florida.

DMedic, what are some of the better choices out there that you speak off?