Flight Medics??

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Ok.. so our dept has an opening for a paramedic on our helicopter operations.
I submitted an application and went and had a meeting with the supervisor over the program last week. I definitely think im up for the challange on the medical aspect of things, I have 12 years experience in the field with lots of trauma experience from Detroit and Flint and a good amount of medical experience as well as some of what I call "ghetto CCT" experience... basically where they give you a pump, a vent, call you a CCT truck and expect you to take drips that you've never heard of... (looking bad.. yeah bad idea.. at the time i didnt know better)

The thing that concerns me is flying. I have a really bad fear of flying in fixed wing or commercial jets... but for some reason the idea of flying in a helicopter doesnt scare me in the least. Our helicopter right now is a BO105, we also has a BO145 but that crashed in august of 2009, and we are currently waiitng on our administration to find a suitable replacement. The crash was due to pilot error based on the preliminary NTSB report, no maintainance is no a concern of mine.. the program has some pretty strict rules about flying, when and where, etc. The heli that crashed has full ILS capability, autopilot, and dual engines, the replacement will have the same plus night vision goggles, the current one is VFR only and no autopilot.

more or less i just want those of you out there who fly or have flown to share some of their experiences and antecdotes with me about flying, fears or concerns and how you overcame those.

I am meeting with both the medics that were in the crash in aug, one quit the helicopter the other was back on board less than a month later. I want to get their perspectives on things as well.

Thanks in advance guys!

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
There are two important aspects here....the first one being night vision goggles. I can't believe we ever used to fly without them. Second, you must make sure that the agency you work for promotes the idea of you voicing your opinion at all times whenever you feel it's necessary. Most HEMS do this but there are still those (especially ones tied to an FD) that still have that whole "you're new here, shut your mouth" attitudes. That is the attitude that wil get you killed. So, NVGs and open communication are the most important.

IFR vs VFR means nothing regarding safety. IFR is simply limited to flying in clear skies and not flying in the clouds. 99% of all HEMS utilized VFR only helicopters. Hope this helps!

spikestac211

Forum Probie
IFR vs VFR means nothing regarding safety. IFR is simply limited to flying in clear skies and not flying in the clouds. 99% of all HEMS utilized VFR only helicopters.

Just to clarify what was probably a typo-

IFR = instrument
VFR = visual

A large amount of general flying accidents happen due to IFR... low vis, ceiling, icing, generally crappy weather. We lost a state trooper helicopter a bit ago in IFR. Fully capable pilots and equipment but the weather got the best of them. By and large, flying IFR is NOT inherently more "dangerous", but accidents do happen and it is a great deal more challenging.

To the OP, what in particular makes you afraid of flying? Feeling nauseated or scared that you're gonna crash? If the former, they make little wrist bands and things that go behind your ear to "help" (supposedly) or you can just bring a barf bag. Just prepare yourself to get tossed around and beat up once in a while. It comes with the territory (I'm not a flight medic, just a regular career pilot).

Last edited by a moderator:

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member

IFR = instrument
VFR = visual

Yes, I meant that VFR is is visual. I only mentioned it because another poster mentioned that this is an important factor. i don't think that it is, especially in the HEMS world. To the OP, all this means is that the pilot and the aircraft are certified to fly in little to zero visiblity. Doesn't make things any safer or less safe.

Like i said,,,,NVGs and communiation between crew members...

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

IFR = instrument
VFR = visual

A large amount of general flying accidents happen due to IFR... low vis, ceiling, icing, generally crappy weather. We lost a state trooper helicopter a bit ago in IFR. Fully capable pilots and equipment but the weather got the best of them. By and large, flying IFR is NOT inherently more "dangerous", but accidents do happen and it is a great deal more challenging.

I think what you actually mean is that general flying accidents happen due to instrument meteorological conditions (IMC). IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) would be required if flight would involve flying in IMC. Of course this would require a pilot with IFR certification. I should note the IFR flight is just not for IMC. My ground school instructor was a major airline pilot and his airline required all landings to be conducted using IFR even if VFR conditions were present.

Last edited by a moderator:

spikestac211

Forum Probie
I think what you actually mean is that general flying accidents happen due to instrument meteorological conditions (IMC). IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) would be required if flight would involve flying in IMC. Of course this would require a pilot with IFR certification. I should note the IFR flight is just not for IMC. My ground school instructor was a major airline pilot and his airline required all landings to be conducted using IFR even if VFR conditions were present.

Just keepin' it simple. IFR is just the flight plan, IMC are the conditions. I file an IFR plan for about 90% of my flights and only about 20% actually involve flying in the clouds!

OP
OP
FLEMTP

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Find out if you run dual or single pilot, IFR or VFR

We run single pilot.. always have..

Our helicopter that crashed was IFR, the current one is VFR only. The next one they purchase to replace it is going to be IFR, and they will be implementing night vision goggles soon from what I understand.

My biggest fear is the actual flying part. I do not get motion sick, I've just never flown in a helicopter, and I know that there has been a big increase in aeromedical accidents in the past few years. I also dont know what to expect as far as the sensations, the way a helicopter moves, etc. I am familiar with fixed wing and have a fairly extensive knowledge of fixed wing principles of flight, etc... Rotor aircraft are totally new to me.

I do not know if they are open to people's objections to certain missions. I know some agencies use the rule of "3 to go, 1 to say no" to determine if a mission is flown or not. I will be meeting tomorrow with one of the medics that just left the flight division for various reasons to get his take on things and find out why he left. I also will be meeting with a second medic who is still in the flight division and intends to stay there and really enjoys what he does. He is also a fearful flyer, so I hope he can give me some pointers.

Thanks so far for your replies guys. Every bit of information helps!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
One concern about helicopters in Florida is the water landings as the crew from the 2009 crash may tell you. Resisting the urge to get out of a sinking helicopter until it rolls or the blades stop can be nerve wracking. Fortunately I have not had the pleasure but the training for that should be extensive. The other issue is the emotional struggle you might have if you are transporting a child or neonate that may have to be left behind. Of course, that will include adult patients as well.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
One concern about helicopters in Florida is the water landings...

To paraphrase George Carlin, that sounds supiciously like crashing into the water to me.

On a more serious note, I can't imagine how devastating it would be to have to leave a patient behind, especially a small child. Years of therapy? I think so.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
As to flt safety, two pilots and two engines are better. Both pilots and the helicopter are IFR rated and all our pilots have 3 - 5 thousand hours experience as a minimum. Thats what we run here. Also the pilots have the say on whether they run a mission or not. They are not told what the mission is only that they have a request to fly from point A - B. If they don't like the weather or forcast, they don't fly. They also do not do night scene landings. They will only land at Transport Canada approved helipads at night. This means the pts go by ground to a to an approved helipad or the nearest hospital. All our hospitals have a helipad. Even the small ones.
Perhaps a bit restrictive compared to some operations, but no crashes either.

Just something to think about.

You will have to try a few flights to see if you like flying in a helicopter.