Flight Medic/Critical Care Route?

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
Im a 27 year old guy living in Chicago and have been a CNA in a hospital for a little over 2 years. I thought I wanted to be a nurse but I have learned bedside care is incredibly boring and the doctors for the most part are ****s. That and seeing the same patient every day for weeks at a time really wears me out. Whenever I get floated down to the ER I really have a good time, the time flies by and its new patients all the time. Lately I have really been thinking about Paramedics. But currently im making 13.50/hour as a lowly CNA. I hear the EMtTs make like 9-11$ and the paramedics make 13ish......which hardly seems worth it for the year and a half of schooling I would need to just end up making less than im making now. PS. my job would pay for any EMT/Paramedic schooling I wanted to go to.

I hear the critical care medics make WAY more as do the flight medics (hourly and call bonus wise) but does anyone know what those job prospects are like? Are they in demand? Is it stable? And what do critical care paramedics and flight medics do when there arent and critical/flight calls? Do they just go out on regular calls? Does their pay go down if its a regular call?

I really like the idea of being able to intubate, push meds without having to call a MD first, and just the general bat :censored::censored::censored::censored: craziness of code calls, PLUS I like the fact that I could be out in the van riding around or working in an ER. I know the majority of the time its not that crazy at all but I really cant see myself as a nurse or not till im older anyways. So yah anyone have opinions or thoughts on the critical care/flight medic route?

Im also not a fan of becoming a firefighter but it kinda seems like I may just have to go that route to actually make decent money. And when I say decent money I mean 45-50g/year I dont need alot of money to be happy but from what im seeing a regular paramedic making 13/hour = 24g/year = no bueno.

Also suggestions for Chicago based Ambulance services? I feel like people dont like to name names but honestly its just asking opinions!

So yah guys any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

-D

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
From a local med flight agency in my area..

For flight nurses:

Massachusetts Licensed Registered Nurse
Certified Emergency Medical Technician in Massachusetts
Minimum of 5 years of Emergency department and Intensive Care Unit experience preferred
Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in nursing
NRP, PALS, ACLS, BCLS, CEN, and CCRN certifications

For flight paramedics:

Certified Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic in Massachusetts
Minimum of 5 years EMS experience preferred
Bachelors Degree preferred
NRP, PALS, ACLS, BCLS certifications

That just shows you for example the huge amount of experience they are looking for. It's not something you can just walk into after getting your medic cert.

Start off with getting your basic and see how you like the career.

There are plenty people on the board here who do it for a living That can chime in on the specifics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommerag

What day is it?
Just remember if your getting ideas from TV on what EMS is like don't believe it.

Around here for a flight medic 3 years experience is the absolute minimum, 5 is recommended. Also need ACLS, PALS, NRP as well as few other certs. Like rwik said take your EMT-B class and see how you like that, seeing as how you need it before you can do a paramedic course. If you like it continue on then, but remember you will probably be waiting atleast 5 years if not more to become a flight medic.

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Here its 5 years of licensure not less than 3 as a Medic before you can apply to critical care school.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
thanks for the responses so far!

I know its not going to be like tv and ill have a bachelors in a couple years as it stands. I'm not trying to think I can jump into critical or flight medics more so if its a stable career for the long run? I would prefer not getting into the fire side of things, thats why I was asking about critical/flight.

Thanks guys!

Fly-write

Forum Probie
I work air ambulance.

The other comments about experience requirements are right on the money. It does take a fair amount to get and stay qualified as a flight medic.

Having said that, the flight medics I've worked with seem to really enjoy what they do and seem to think it's worth the hard work to get there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I know its not going to be like tv and ill have a bachelors in a couple years as it stands. I'm not trying to think I can jump into critical or flight medics more so if its a stable career for the long run? I would prefer not getting into the fire side of things, thats why I was asking about critical/flight.

Thanks guys!
Bottom line is that it's going to take a few years to get the requisite experience to qualify for such a gig. After that, you have to work to maintain your qualifications. That's whether you're working as a Nurse OR a Paramedic. For RN, tack on another year or so for requisite experience needed to land an ICU spot.

I'd say that if you're looking for getting into flight/critical care transport, do the RN route. That way when you're done, you'll have an easier time transitioning back into a gig that won't beat you up as much.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Bottom line is that it's going to take a few years to get the requisite experience to qualify for such a gig. After that, you have to work to maintain your qualifications. That's whether you're working as a Nurse OR a Paramedic. For RN, tack on another year or so for requisite experience needed to land an ICU spot.

I'd say that if you're looking for getting into flight/critical care transport, do the RN route. That way when you're done, you'll have an easier time transitioning back into a gig that won't beat you up as much.

Also be aware that often, if you work a flight program, you are going to be spending the majority of your time doing Critical-Care level transports, rather then scene responses. I know many services like to see critical care experience either from transport or clinicals- and work in-hospital.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
My main goal is ER

Wether im there are a paramedic or a nurse first doesnt matter. My plan is to have both licenses. I know its adding more time in the long run but if my job is willing to pay for both I dont see a reason why not plus it will give me the POV from all ends of the spectrum. Not to mention versatility when looking for jobs seeing as ill be trained in multiple areas. Ive already got and been working as a CNA for 2 1/2 years im starting my EMT program at malcolm x in june and will be done mid july and go from there.

Though a critical care nurse or flight nurse seems real appealing to me as well. Ill jsut have to see what fits best. Im definitely not afraid of school and all things science and body related is super fascinating to me.

You guys on the boards have been AWESOME! Even had a couple people private me and let me have at them with some other questions!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just remember if your getting ideas from TV on what EMS is like don't believe it.

Mother, Jugs, and Speed.

The most accurate depiction of US EMS ever. Still true to this day.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
see.....

i thought it was going to be more like a cross between airplane and bringing in the dead......dangmaybe i better re-think things....

Veneficus

Forum Chief
i thought it was going to be more like a cross between airplane and bringing in the dead......dangmaybe i better re-think things....

Given the fly at all costs mentality driven by the oversaturation of private air ambulance providers in the US.

MJ&S is your best bet.

and pay close attention to the propaganda and bribes pushed on ground providers to engage air medical services.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
propoganda and bribes....

meaning they are unsafe to be in? thats why they have to propegate and bribe said people?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
meaning they are unsafe to be in? thats why they have to propegate and bribe said people?

No, the companies put out all kinds of propaganda like basing the decision to call on mechanism alone, disproven "golden hour" nonsense, etc.

They are also paying for/providing continuing "education" which is basically a bribe because the providers come to "trust" the organization.

They send food and toys to providers just like pharm companies used to do for doctors.

My favorite line of bull these companies put out is: "call us soon, we would rather be cancelled than not be engaged early."

Veneficus

Forum Chief
ugh seems like you cant get away from greed no matter where you go aye?

It is not the economic costs that bother me. Yes, they are out of control, but that is easily rectified by cutting reimbursement.

What does bother me is the people getting killed because of wreckless operations in the desperation to get reimbursed or actually turn a profit.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
sheesh

if only it ended there! its coming from every angle. prescription drug costs/ co pay cards/ ambulance abusers/ insurance fraud/ supply theft/ pushing unneeded meds+procedures+equipment/ lawsuites/ the list is never ending.

I heard a show on NPR the other day about how some of the big drug companies are trying to give pay incentives to doctors for telling patients to use X medication over another.

I mean :censored::censored::censored::censored: just today we had 4 admits positive for C-Dif do you guys know how much vancomysin costs??!? Close to 14,000$! <------for the antibiotics and hospital stay. (Not to mention a couple quick fecal transplants can fix it right up for almost nothing) According to the consumers union website. Whatever im just rambling now.

that is all.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The human cost of HEMS has been incredibly high in the US since inception, partly I believe, because of it's "Dustoff" roots and unwillingness to admit they're now basically a passenger service.

I wonder how much better the EMS system in the US would be if the reimbursement spent on inappropriate HEMS trips was redirected towards reimbursing well educated providers in response cars to back up paramedics (similar to overseas HEMS models at night).

Fly-write

Forum Probie
Veneficus,

I agree with everything you mentioned below. Everything you said is true to varying degrees. Having said that, HEMS does genuinely help a certain percentage of patients. No system is perfect, ground or air.

Did you have a bad experience with an air medical company or provider? Just curious.

Fly-write

No, the companies put out all kinds of propaganda like basing the decision to call on mechanism alone, disproven "golden hour" nonsense, etc.

They are also paying for/providing continuing "education" which is basically a bribe because the providers come to "trust" the organization.

They send food and toys to providers just like pharm companies used to do for doctors.

My favorite line of bull these companies put out is: "call us soon, we would rather be cancelled than not be engaged early."

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Fly-write, I can't speak for Veneficus, but I know speaking as a former HEMS medic I've grown tired of wondering if I have friends dead everytime I hear about an aircraft crashing.