Flexibility A Concern In Souther California

montyy

Forum Ride Along
I'm interested in getting my certification during my winter recess and obtaining a job as an EMT, but I am concerned as to how I will be scheduled. I'm a full-time premedical student, I volunteer 4-8 hours in an ER, and I'm interested in undertaking some research. I currently work 20-30 hours on top of this, but my current employer is very flexible in my scheduling.

I would hate to spend the money and time getting my certification and not be able to work because of an incompatible schedule.

Are certain companies more flexible in their scheduling in the Orange County (maybe even LA county since I volunteer out there) area than others? I would probably be limited to working about 24 hours on weekends to keep from interfering with school which is of course my main priority.

I have heard good things about CARE but I cannot seem to find a ton of information on this subject and would appreciate any insight that you could contribute.

I thank you in advance.

jam3rz

Forum Probie
Finding an EMT job is extremely competitive in Southern California.

It would be difficult enough to find a job with an open schedule, much less finding a job that is willing to work with your school schedule. Finding a job with a good 911 company such as Care would be even more difficult, as those jobs are highly sought after.

Of course, it's not impossible, but you should be aware of the situation. Many new EMT's look for months and months without finding work.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You're in one of the worst areas for EMTs to find work in if they have a flexible schedule. A lot of services will put people who can only work certain hours at the bottom of the applicant stack.

xshellyx

Forum Probie
First off, good job in wanting to get into the ems world while doing your pre-medical course work. I'm sure it will give you tons of good experience in the pre-hospital setting. I applied at Care recently, and I was told that all their new hires must be fully available at least 5 days a week, 40 hours. They hire everyone full-time, and then after 6 months to a year you may possibly have the option to go down to part-time. I got guff for needing three mornings off a week for school, and it definitely hindered my hiring process. Not saying they're a bad company, because they are one of the best. But scheduling wise, and in your situation, I don't think they'd be the right fit. I'd try other good companies in the area, such as McCormick and AMR in LA county, and Doctors in the OC.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Even when Care needed EMTs, they did not hire part timers. I worked there for 2 years and it was the same then as it seems to be now. If you need PT, look at AMR out in Riverside/San Bernardino Counties, most divisions there do hire PT.