Fixing the Issue of Frequent Fliers

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Here's an article published on EMS1 yesterday about how MedStar deals with frequent fliers and system abusers. Give it a read.

http://www.ems1.com/research-review...dy-How-an-EMS-agency-tackled-frequent-flyers/

On top of this, in the next 2-3 months, something called PSIAM will be implemented where an RN will be in the dispatch center, and any Omega level calls (IE, I have boils on my arms and other low level medical complaints) will be directed to the RN instead of instantly getting an ambulance sent.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Does it involve a 12-gauge shotgun.. Kidding kidding

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We give our frequent fliers taxi vouchers to Fort Worth... ;)

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We give our frequent fliers taxi vouchers to Fort Worth... ;)

No kidding, we have a bunch of people get off the train from Dallas, walk to the closest payphone they see, and call 911. They "heard bad things about Parkland since it's a county hospital"... so go to another county hospital...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
What about just charging punitive fees for rampant abusers? Or does that contravene local/state/federal rules?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What about just charging punitive fees for rampant abusers? Or does that contravene local/state/federal rules?

I would be hesitant to actually punish system abusers. They key to fixing the problem is to be proactive, and the article/study that Linuss published is a prime example of that.

Many system abusers are still legitimately sick patients, we would never want to discourage anyone from calling EMS when they actually need it for they fear they may be fined. Even though their fears may be misplaced, one cannot expect that many of these patient (who are often under-educated) to be able to understand what is "fineable" ride and what isn't unless they are taught. And if you're going to go through the trouble of teaching, the APP program looks like a good solution.