first thread :P

Sera

Forum Probie
Alright so I just joined this site. seems pretty interesting :)
I start the EMT course next week full time (i'm actually a bit excited)
Just a small question.. is there anything I should do now (i have all my books etc) to prepare for next week? Also.. I've been working as a lifeguard for a few years now.. just wondering if any of the training I have taken so far will help me out at all?

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
What all training did you have as a lifeguard? You can start reading some chapters if you want. Always helped me to read the chapter a couple of times before we went over it. Make sure you ask questions when you dont understand something. If your local EMS service dont mind then start hanging out over there...you'll pick up alot of info. just from listening to them, and most of them wont mind all answering your questions.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome.

Some of the stuff that is taught for basic lifeguarding classes is VERY useful.... in fact, I don't think I've met an EMT who knew how to backboard someone in water unless they had some lifeguard training (either red cross or Boy Scouts).

Basing off of what I've seen with the Boy Scout lifeguard program (as difficult, or more so than the Red Cross is supposed to be)... Basic first aid, CPR, and spinal immobilization are all big parts of the EMT job.

You shouldn't have too much trouble.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome to the forum! :p Good luck in your class, I hope you do well. Given the skills you already have, I'm guessing you'll do just fine. Browsing through your book might be helpful, prior to your class. Please let us know how you are doing! Take care!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!!

As mentioned above, readinhg the chapter(s) before going into the class usually helps, and going on ride alongs or even volunteering with a dept/agency will help you understand what you are learning as well.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Welcome to our little family. You should have little trouble with the EMT class if you have been a lifegaurd for a several years, just remember the ABC's and you should do quite well. Good luck and again, welcome.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Welcome, welcome. Everyone else has covered things pretty well, but just remember to ask any questions that might pop up throughout class and be as active a student as possible. Remember, there are no stupid questions...well, almost. :p Good luck and keep us updated.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to the site... as everyone else has stated, you really shouldn't have any problems in your EMT class.. if you do, post the questions here, and we'll try to help you out!

OP
OP
Sera

Sera

Forum Probie
divinewind_007 said:
What all training did you have as a lifeguard? You can start reading some chapters if you want. Always helped me to read the chapter a couple of times before we went over it. Make sure you ask questions when you dont understand something. If your local EMS service dont mind then start hanging out over there...you'll pick up alot of info. just from listening to them, and most of them wont mind all answering your questions.

a lot of lifeguard training consisted of spinals.. i can't even tell you how many staff meetings we had where we have to each practice deep water spinals. That and of course all the 1st aid/CPR stuff.. recognizing the symptoms of your victim and dealing with it right away. We'd practice all sorts of different situations (heart attacks, wounds, public relations, non swimmers/drowning)
I always loved not knowing what kind of situation I would have to deal with.. and then once it happened knowing what to do was such a good feeling. I love having that knowledge and can't wait to learn what all of you guys know =)
Thanks for all of the tips/advice! From what I've heard its pretty intense.. people tell me that the hardest part is your practicum hours.. actually getting out there and doing it. Hopefully I won't have too much of a problem, I've always been kind of a shy person so I hope that won't hold me back!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As I said... the water rescue training mingh help you... I've always been concerned about having to respond to a water accident and board someone in the water.... I KNOW that most EMT's don't have that training.

FF894

Forum Captain
Welcome to the site, I am new here as well! B)