First Responder to EMT-B

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I live in Maryland. I am wondering what my options are to go from fr to emt. I would like to take a bridge course if at all possible. EMT-B is very similar to FR, just some more advanced skills, a couple of medicines, and some more hours. O, and please dont flip out and tell me to search for a thread because I did and there are none.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I live in Maryland. I am wondering what my options are to go from fr to emt. I would like to take a bridge course if at all possible. EMT-B is very similar to FR, just some more advanced skills, a couple of medicines, and some more hours. O, and please dont flip out and tell me to search for a thread because I did and there are none.
I have no heard of any First Responder to EMT-Basic programs, as most states mandate a required number of hours for EMT-Basic training. Fortunately it's not all that many hours.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I have no heard of any First Responder to EMT-Basic programs, as most states mandate a required number of hours for EMT-Basic training. Fortunately it's not all that many hours.

I have heard of a few, they count your hours from the first responders course as part of the required hours for the EMT course. However, having my first responder and now being in EMT school, I think you should just go ahead and take a full EMT course. Yes there is some review but that means you will just be that much more ahead of the game.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Can't speak for other states but I don't think there's a bridge course in Mississippi (and if there is, someone please correct me). I've never heard of one and all of the EMRs I've known who went to EMT-B class basically had to start over.

Fragger

Forum Probie
Do they call it "ECA" in Texas:unsure:?
Very similar to EMT less the ER and ambulance rotation?

Medresponse44

Forum Probie
Here in CT there is a FR to EMT-B bridge class, it is about 110 hours. Most people say just to take the regular EMT-B class and not the bridge because the cost is pretty much the same, and it never hurts to review all of the material again, especially if you are only saving a few class time hours with the bridge. The MFR class is about 85 hours here and the EMT-B class is around 160.