First Ever Shift?

Thatoneguy1313

Forum Probie
So I have my first ever EMS shift on Saturday, 24 hour shift. I've worked standby at events but haven't dealt with anything more than a very small cut on the forehead. The service I am running with has average 2-3 calls a day, and from working standby, not much happens when I am around.

I don't want to be that newbie right off the bat, so I ask, what do you usually bring on shift? What do you carry on you? What can I expect? I am planning on bringing my gear I have (obviously), but past that I don't know. I figure I am going to be spending lots of time the first month or so learning operations, driving, rig checks, etc so I am guessing I am not going to have a whole lot of free time while on shift to study or whatnot.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, I'm an EMT-B

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
The first real, paying EMS dept I joined required everyone to complete a 4 hour orientation and an EVOC course prior to them being permitted to run calls. After that, there really wasn't much more formal training, except for tips from some of the more experienced guys. As for what to bring: basic hygene items, atleast one spare uniform, phone charger, snacks, and a tablet or laptop to give you something to do. Thats about it.

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
definitely second the snacks and a drink...preferably water/sports drink, if its hot...you're gonna want it at some point.

Biggest thing is bring an open mind and be willing to learn...that attitude alone will get you a long ways, from my experience...

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
This probably sounds counter-intuitive, but the less you bring, the better. Show up with a buff belt full of gear, and you'll be more easily identified as the FNG.

Also understand that everyone starts as a newbie, and with that comes some kidding. Don't obsess over it; just smile and take it. Look for opportunities to help with stuff that has to get done but nobody wants to do. Say little, listen a lot. It's not so different from being new at any other group activity.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Less really is more. All I cary at work is my pocket knife, phone, keys, pen, penlight and wallet. I'm not into the whole ricky rescue thing. In 4 years of doing this I've realized what I need and what I don't need.

Since you're the FNG don't be afraid to ask questions. Especially if you don't know a piece of equipment or how to do something. Nothing aggravates me more then when a EMT student or new hire doesn't know where something is or how to do something when the medic asks on a call. If you don't know speak up, most people are more than willing to help you out and show you something.

If you're at a station for this 24 I'd bring a sleeping bag, pillow and a sheet. Also the normal toiletries and spare uniforms. I primarily work 12's and I bring a backpack with me. It has all the necessary survival items. Snacks, tablet, book, travel pillow, and my companies OGL's and policy and procedure (they never get taken out, just nice to have at work I guess).

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as what to carry on you, less is more. For me:
Right hip pocket: Wallet and pocket knife
Left pocket: Cell phone, ID
Right cargo pocket: small maglite, 2 pens
Left rear pocket: Keys
Right rear pocket: an extra set of gloves
Belt: Pager and radio.

You don't need every tool imaginable on your belt.

As far as what to take with you to the shift:

Keep in your car but have handy: Extra set of clothes, rain jacket, towel and basic shower stuff (if not provided by the station)
Take in a gym bag into the station with you: Anything you want for sleeping in or working out in (for me I take in a pair of gym shorts, and a pillow and blanket since the station ones are uncomfortable to me), as well as something to keep you occupied (book, ipad etc). Packing a lunch or at the bare minimum some snacks and water would be recommended. If you are going to be in the same truck all day, I'd just stick a bottle of water in the console.

Good luck!

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't work out of a station, but I bring whatever I usually need for the 14-16 hours I will be working. Pen, notepad (sometimes), shears, Stethoscope, bp cuffs (have to bring my own when on bls truck), phone, and wallet. Everything else is in my backpack, which has water, books if I get a chance to study, a snack if I make one, and extra snacks/drinks I pick of from ems rooms in case I don't get much of a chance to stop and eat. Notice there is a trend with snacks that are portable. However I would be less worried about that at a 3 a day call volume.