First EMT Class

Weiliipatch

Forum Ride Along
Just got back from my first EMT class and although they are four hour classes it was AWESOME! My instructor is very nice and easy to understand and willing to help whenever needed. He even left us with his personal cell phone and said he was available 24/7 if we needed it. Im so happy right now that my turn finally came up on the waiting list and I was admitted!!!!

NorthCoastChick

Forum Probie
Rock On

A great EMT instructor is the foundation for a long and happy career in EMS. I speak from experience. I passed my EMT-1 class with help from my instructor and he is now one of my favorite medic partners at the company. Good luck with everything!!

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
Congrats. I have a year or two to go until I can even do EMT-Basic classes.

Ditchmedic

Forum Probie
Any instructor who cares for his/her students will go the extra mile. I've had both good and bad, and make sure my students can get ahold of me if they have questions. Sounds like you are in good hands, good luck.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Congrats. I have a year or two to go until I can even do EMT-Basic classes.

You can take EMT class at 16 in NJ, which is where I see you're from. If you're younger than that, I'd suggest looking at the local volunteer squads to see if any have a cadet corps. You can't ride an ambulance if you're under 16, but you can take first responder training and such.

Of course, I'm assuming it's an age issue and not something else, so this might be totally useless advice. ;) If it is, sorry. :p

firedog3700

Forum Probie
Bravo

Best of luck to you. One of the greatest feelings in the world is passing the Registry exam.

Start practicing taking vitals.

If you are in a National Registry state, start memorizing the medical and trauma skills sheets.

Best of luck, and drop me a note if I can help.

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
You can take EMT class at 16 in NJ, which is where I see you're from. If you're younger than that, I'd suggest looking at the local volunteer squads to see if any have a cadet corps. You can't ride an ambulance if you're under 16, but you can take first responder training and such.

Of course, I'm assuming it's an age issue and not something else, so this might be totally useless advice. ;) If it is, sorry. :p

Serously? Think you'd be able to help me find the class? I'm entering a school club in Roxbury, which is calle d"Sports medicine",, which consists of Volentary hours at local Hospitals, and such, plus it is also a chance to get CPR Certifications, and other fun stuff.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Serously? Think you'd be able to help me find the class? I'm entering a school club in Roxbury, which is calle d"Sports medicine",, which consists of Volentary hours at local Hospitals, and such, plus it is also a chance to get CPR Certifications, and other fun stuff.

Check http://www.njoemscert.com for information on the available EMT basic courses. You have to be 16 on the first day of the class. Their interface is a little wonky, if you ask me, but if you search for EMT Basic courses, you'll see the ones that are out there. Also, if you're under 18, you will, of course, have to have your parents sign off on the class forms.

You do have to create an account to log into that site, but you need to do that anyway, since you need an OEMS number to get credit for your classes.

As for a first responder course, check out the local Red Cross, or volunteer ambulance companies who have cadet programs. I did mine full time at the New Jersey Health and Safety Institute, which is every year for two weeks in June, and is run by the Red Cross.

Really, for all the hating on volunteers around here, I'd still say the way to go for you is to look for a cadet program. You might not get to become an EMT right away, but you can learn a lot, and when it is time for you to start EMT classes, the training fund will pay for it, which saves you a few hundred bucks.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

No offense to anybody, but I don't think that people 16 or under have any business being in EMS.

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
congrads on you're first class, you will learn alot. have fun and be safe

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No offense to anybody, but I don't think that people 16 or under have any business being in EMS.

"No offense to anybody, but I" don't think anyone that's still an EMT student should be dictating who should and should not be in an EMT class or in the EMS field.

Last edited by a moderator: