First Day!

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
My first day was great. Walked in, was showed around. Not even 10 minutes in we got a call for a fall. So I was heading to the back to jump in; but was thrown the keys and said "Driver, you ready". Mind you I have never drove an ambulance before. I have drove truck w/a horse trailer, but that is it. So we made it out there ALIVE which is always good. Went in, help assisted the lady back to bed, she went AMA. Did my first report. Got back checked our trucks. There's 4 of them, 2 van ambulance, 1 big (LOL) ambulance, and 1 Tahoe. So checked all of them. Filled out my tax stuff. Then we got another call for chest pain. So drove to that call.

BY THE WAY I WAS THE ONLY EMT ON, AS SOMEONE HAD CALLED IN.

Transported the patient to the hospital. I drove, didn't know where the hospital was, but found it fine. Then got back washed all the vehicles. Cooked some cookies for the fire house Santa that night. Did some house chores. Found myself a locker, and a mail box. Assigned my self a radio. Then watched a movie and went to bed on the couch. (I had forgot to bring bed sheets and a cover an pillow)! OH an I had forgot to bring food...LOL Got one call in the middle of the night for fire, but we waited and we were called off. Then went back to sleep. Woke up to breakfast. Was about to leave, but asked if I wanted to stay another 24 or however long I could stay. I had to run home for four hours, then came back in at noon and stayed until 6pm. I checked the trucks again by myself this time, was shown the supply room, Helped the boss with some office work. Then went on a transfer, and then went home!!!

Overall it went WONDERFUL and I enjoyed it a lot!!! Going back Tues for another 24!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
welcome to the fray

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
You washed AND checked out all the units? Geez, I'd love to have you for a partner...:lol:

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
You washed AND checked out all the units? Geez, I'd love to have you for a partner...:lol:

LOL...and I even did laundry as well on my first day!! I think I am really going to love it!
Still excited!!

-By the way, I do believe I need to go to "exclamation mark rehab ;)"

AND THANKS EVERYONE!

TexasEMS_Paramedic

Forum Ride Along
Congrats on your first day!! I cant believe you checked all the units by yourself.. hahaha that is the go-get-it-ness we need more of in this field!! Hope your next shift is great

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You were driving 10 minutes after walking in the door? Did you get any driver training? Please tell me you didn't drive that rig priority. Did you get any information or instruction on "what you were checking out" in the rigs? Do you know what to look for? Is there a standard inventory with requirements and expiry dates? Did you check the ALS gear too? Did they give you a full run down of expectations and requirements for new employees?

I think it's great that you're jumping right in to your new career, but "10 minutes in and I was driving" just serves as another example of the woefully inadequate level of education our EMTs receive after the initial 150 hour class. Most of the larger private EMS agencies will have at least a week or two of orientation and training prior to just throwing you out on a rig. At bare minimum, a new EMT should be proficient in driving code and non code response, mapping, report writing, hospital procedures (where they are and how to get in and give report!) and the companies SOPs.

Congrats on your new job...but I hope you're getting good, solid training along the way.

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
You were driving 10 minutes after walking in the door? Did you get any driver training? Please tell me you didn't drive that rig priority. Did you get any information or instruction on "what you were checking out" in the rigs? Do you know what to look for? Is there a standard inventory with requirements and expiry dates? Did you check the ALS gear too? Did they give you a full run down of expectations and requirements for new employees?

I think it's great that you're jumping right in to your new career, but "10 minutes in and I was driving" just serves as another example of the woefully inadequate level of education our EMTs receive after the initial 150 hour class. Most of the larger private EMS agencies will have at least a week or two of orientation and training prior to just throwing you out on a rig. At bare minimum, a new EMT should be proficient in driving code and non code response, mapping, report writing, hospital procedures (where they are and how to get in and give report!) and the companies SOPs.

Congrats on your new job...but I hope you're getting good, solid training along the way.

My first truck check was with a medic, they have a list and all the cabinets are lettered as well as on the list. So for example; Cabinet "A" has (1) Adult BVM __ (1) Ped. BVM __, (1) Combituded __ (6) Adult NRB __.......and so on.

But no I had no prior driving instructions or course before I drove the rig. I'd rather not say if I drove code or not, as I know where that conversations goes on this forum. SO I am not saying whether I did or didn't.
I didn't know how to take report from the Nurses, but was instructed to, and did! I got what I needed. Just explained to them that I was new and needed report on the patient. The drugs I checked with a medic, and the exp. dates I was shown on the first rig where to check them. I did spend about an hour in the rig by myself taking stuff out, putting them back. Asking questions on things I didn't know what they were, or what they were used for.
I was suppose to follow another EMT, but he called in sick.
I did however do all this in 31 hours. As 31 hours consisted of my first day.

zmedic

Forum Captain
It's not your fault but man, can you imagine what a lawyer would do to your company in court if you got in a wreck? "So, you allowed this employee with no emergency driving training to drive a patient lights and siren, in spite of the availablity of EVOC classes, knowing the increased risk associated with emergent driving?"

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
My first day was great. Walked in, was showed around. Not even 10 minutes in we got a call for a fall. So I was heading to the back to jump in; but was thrown the keys and said "Driver, you ready". Mind you I have never drove an ambulance before. I have drove truck w/a horse trailer, but that is it. So we made it out there ALIVE which is always good. Went in, help assisted the lady back to bed, she went AMA. Did my first report. Got back checked our trucks. There's 4 of them, 2 van ambulance, 1 big (LOL) ambulance, and 1 Tahoe. So checked all of them. Filled out my tax stuff. Then we got another call for chest pain. So drove to that call.

BY THE WAY I WAS THE ONLY EMT ON, AS SOMEONE HAD CALLED IN.

Transported the patient to the hospital. I drove, didn't know where the hospital was, but found it fine. Then got back washed all the vehicles. Cooked some cookies for the fire house Santa that night. Did some house chores. Found myself a locker, and a mail box. Assigned my self a radio. Then watched a movie and went to bed on the couch. (I had forgot to bring bed sheets and a cover an pillow)! OH an I had forgot to bring food...LOL Got one call in the middle of the night for fire, but we waited and we were called off. Then went back to sleep. Woke up to breakfast. Was about to leave, but asked if I wanted to stay another 24 or however long I could stay. I had to run home for four hours, then came back in at noon and stayed until 6pm. I checked the trucks again by myself this time, was shown the supply room, Helped the boss with some office work. Then went on a transfer, and then went home!!!

Overall it went WONDERFUL and I enjoyed it a lot!!! Going back Tues for another 24!! ;)

THats amazing!! i hope i can jump into the fray like that too!! except the fact that i wouldnt mind some driver traning, because i deff am not the best driver ever

im excited, i really hope i can get a job!!!!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in Mississippi we have to take those EVOC classes and get a EMS driver "license". Its good to take even though it may not be required where you are. My first call as a basic was for altered mental status. We got there and the paramedic did a half *** stroke assessment then we started her on fluids because her BGL was high around 300 or so. All he did was arm drift for stroke assessment, guess that is better than no assessment at all. In class we test 10 out of the 12 cranial nerves, takes less than 90 seconds.

Now my first clinical call as a basic student was for no breathing, got there and man had been dead for several hours :(

Last edited by a moderator:

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm glad that the OP was able to get right into stuff, but...

Is there no FTO process at most companies these days? I remember at least 48 hours of paramedic ride time at my newest venture, and this was after orientation. Paramedics without experience was assigned to many more hours. And even those hours are short compared to many companies' FTO programs that I know of.

Even after having EVOC yearly for 5 years, when I switched companies they made me do it again, and then only gave me non-emergency no-patient driving status for a month, then slowly started giving me additional driving privileges.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm glad that the OP was able to get right into stuff, but...

Is there no FTO process at most companies these days? I remember at least 48 hours of paramedic ride time at my newest venture, and this was after orientation. Paramedics without experience was assigned to many more hours. And even those hours are short compared to many companies' FTO programs that I know of.

Even after having EVOC yearly for 5 years, when I switched companies they made me do it again, and then only gave me non-emergency no-patient driving status for a month, then slowly started giving me additional driving privileges.

Exactly the point I was making above. Training is the only way for Ambulance Companies to attenuate the liability that comes with new EMS unit drivers. That the OP didn't get ANY EVOC/EVAP training prior to driving a unit on a priority response makes me question how compliant this agency is with other training.

JOSH

Forum Probie
Congrats there country EMT-b gurl got ya a job .Also so like you had a pretty busy first day

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I am a little disturbed about the complete lack of driving instruction given. The OP states she doesn't want to say whether she drove lights and sirens or not. Fair enough, but seeing as her 2nd call was for a "chest pain", I can only assume that she did at some point.

Not having a go at the OP, as it is not her problem, but the company she works for is asking for a major lawsuit, if that is their standard of training.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I am a little disturbed about the complete lack of driving instruction given. The OP states she doesn't want to say whether she drove lights and sirens or not. Fair enough, but seeing as her 2nd call was for a "chest pain", I can only assume that she did at some point.

Not having a go at the OP, as it is not her problem, but the company she works for is asking for a major lawsuit, if that is their standard of training.

Plus One!! Absolutely NO preceptorship/orientation???? Glad I'm not the only one who sees a problem with this.