First day! Tips please :)

indres91a

Forum Ride Along
Hello all! New to the site, new to the job! I start in a few days at an IFT company, and was wondering if any of you could give me some helpful tips. That would be awesome!

Also, how should i go dressed? I read in my paper work that i buy my uniform from them, then after a probational period im reimbursed, so, should i wait until i actually start?

Thanks! :D

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
As far as the uniform issue goes, I would give them a call ASAP and direct any questions about the company directly to them. They'll be able to answer questions of that nature much better than we will.

Your first day on the job make you are respectful to everyone, and pay attention to what the more experienced employees have to say. They may have some useful tips and tricks for you.

SkaMedic

Forum Probie
The state of California labor law requires that if the company logo or name is on the uniform then the company must provide the uniform free of charge. Strange that they are making you pay for it right away and I have never heard of an ambulance company doing this.

I understand that this is your first job and jobs are hard to come by these days but perhaps you should take this as a clue that maybe they aren't doing things right. You should know your rights in this business to avoid being taken advantage of. Believe me, a lot of these companies will do it.

The law also requires that the company pay for the upkeep of the uniforms by either paying for dry cleaning service or giving you 1 hour pay per week for uniform upkeep. Most people don't know that but if you ask your HR person, they will either include the money in your check or give you the name of a dry cleaner close to your station that they contract with.

As far as what you should wear...I teach the orientations at the company I work for now and I recommend that you dress professionally, leave your cell phone in your car, bring a pen and notebook to take notes. Good luck with the new job.

OP
OP
I

indres91a

Forum Ride Along
Sweet, thanks guys, i did end up calling and turns out they do give me the uniform and pay for all the dry cleaning haha, and thanks for the tips, i'll make sure to take notes ;)

ethomas4

Forum Crew Member
when i see new people on the job, what ever job it is, I see they are more successful if they are willing to learn. so be very open and learn things, never ever be afraid to say "i dont know." thats how you learn.

the guys and gals that think they know everything dont do so well.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Good thing to do at first; spend as much time as you can in the back of the truck: request a truck check sheet, and go through it multiple times in your first few days/weeks to learn where everything is in the truck.
Then spend time sitting in the truck, mentally going through a run/patient where you may need something: example: fracture, where is all the splinting material and linens that you may need in a hurry. Resp Distress; where is airway stuff. Etc

Always jump in and do shift duties; if you see someone doing something along the lines of cleaning; HELP THEM; even if you are not asked. Either the trucks or at the station.

Learn your area: get a map out, listen to the radio; if another truck is dispatched somewhere; find it on the map, find the closest hospitals and figure out multiple ways to get there: which way do you go if the freeway/ highway is closed.

When you are driving and posted somewhere; find out if you can drive to all the hospitals and ECF's in your area; when you know that area, see if you can get posted in a new area; and do the same thing.

chardwan

Forum Probie
agree heartily with ethomas4... be open and eager to learn what it takes to do the job well and be successful.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
+1 with john.

Especially if you are somewhere where there is a station, even if it's not your job, help out with the station duties. Be willing to cover for someone if they are going to be late for 10 minutes ot need to leave 10 minutes early. We have to have each other's backs in this profession, and when you do something for someone else, they'll remember it and pay you back later.

At one of the firehouses I'm at, there was a gentleman in medic school and everytime I was on after he was, I came in a half hour early to cover for him to make sure he could get to his class on time. Sure, it meant I had to get my *** out of bed 30 minutes earlier, but I could take naps if I got tired and there wasn't really any reason not to. He's remembered this and to this day, if I need to find a replacement for any reason, he'll either find someone for me or take it himself, even if he needs to call in a sitter. I've had incoming crew members clean off the snow on my car for me, probably because I always help out with station duties even though it is not in my job description to do so.

If you're working at a typical firehouse, you become best friends and brothers even, with the guys you work with, so make sure you start off on the right foot.

Good Luck at your new job!