First day on the job, Advise....

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
Just in general tips tricks and any advice

Personally I just got a conditional hire as a Basic. I came from an autopsy background so this is TOTALLY new, for example I know I need a stethaascope and uniform but thats about it.

I did a few third rides after grad and they taught me a bit also like how to "Spike a bag for the Medics"

So any advice is appreciated, Thanks

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I came from an autopsy background so this is TOTALLY new..
Definitely not totally new! This is a logical progression from what you were doing. Physicians have to spend a LOT of time dissecting cadavers in order to acquire a thorough understanding of the structure of the human bodies they will be caring for. Assuming you paid attention, you are going to have an understanding of anatomy & physiology that will give you a significant edge over EMTs (and even paramedics) who have no such experience or education. Do not look at this as something different than what you were doing. You are still caring for the human body. Keep all that structure you learned in mind as you examine and care for your patients so that you develop a true understanding of what you are seeing and doing, and I suspect you will become comfortable with your practice a lot sooner than most.

Good luck! Are you working on your paramedic degree classes yet?

OP
OP
ttoude

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
thank you I didn't really look at it that way with the posts and everything. and OH yeah the "P" is up next.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
thank you I didn't really look at it that way with the posts and everything. and OH yeah the "P" is up next.

Exellent. I hope you value your medical examiner experience, as I would kill to intern in a similar way. No pun intended.

What is your educational background, if you do not mind me asking?

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
I want to be involved in the morgue like you..........what do I need ? Thats awesome.
I tried looking up morgue technician and morgue assisstant, but I couldnt find anything about what I need, it was all about what they do.

OP
OP
ttoude

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
I want to be involved in the morgue like you..........what do I need ? Thats awesome.
I tried looking up morgue technician and morgue assisstant, but I couldnt find anything about what I need, it was all about what they do.

Sorry took so long to respond, moving this week. At the Medical Examiners office in Newark NJ. also in Albuquerque and phoenix all did not require any education or training for the Forensic morgue tech positions as of 2 years ago. not sure about other states

Lots of extra ways to make cash, Body pic-ups, crime scene clean up etc..

The only real requirement is the stomach for the job. In newark our crew was 80% female too. You have to know how take crap from the doctors too. The Forensic pathologist (Docs) range from really nice older doctors that are nice to some that are jerks to some that work really fast and are real DIRECT.

A little honesty here. It takes a serious emotional toll, borderline ptsd on a daily basis. Set up a good coping mechanism. I did it for 5 years, thats the national burn out rate for the position

hope that helps

LAS46

Forum Crew Member
First off congrats on the Job in Albuquerque... I used to live 30 South of there and was with the Valencia County Emergency Services and the Socorro County Fire Department. I think you will really enjoy it there.

If you are looking for some really good calls Valencia County is the place to go. Valencia County has one of the highest crime rates for New Mexico and is not getting any better, therefore they get some really good calls out there. If you are interested check in with Living Cross Ambulance out of Los Lunas, NM which is about 20 miles from Albuquerque.

Have fun and be safe!

:usa: