First Call

namaste1967

Forum Crew Member
My actual paper license from the state arrived in the mail on 11-1 which also happened to be my 1st scheduled shift. My very first call of the night, I started as driver and got a priorty 1 call for chest pain. Lights and sirens! What a rush!!!
The call turned out to be a guy all doped up on pain killers that was pulled over by the PD and c/o pain in his ribs..........he just didn't want to go to jail!
So, not a major call but it was exciting!

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
You just completely reminded of my "first call" as an EMT student, lights and sirens to nursing home, geriatric woman complaining of chest pain.

I was hooked after that, not so much for the L/S, but more for the rush of the call and helping a little old lady. My first ride time and I was allowed to give NTG under the supervision of my instructor after surprisingly having done all my vitals correctly. I was a nervous wreck but somehow I made it through the call.

I cant wait until I get my first real call as an EMT, that should be a whole new level of rush.

Good luck in your new job/career as an EMT! B)

-CP

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ahh... an acute allergy to handcuffs.

jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
My first call was an MI on a chartered fishing "party boat"... about 2 days after I was sworn into the department. :)

squid

Forum Lieutenant
Oh... don't remind me.... the winter I became an EMT we had all this freezing rain, and my first calls were 6 MVAs within a couple weeks (a lot for our department) right down the highway from me. Every time I ended up either first on scene or alone at one end of the incident, since the fire station was in the other direction. At the very first one, I crested the wet hill, the road turned to black ice, and I managed to come to a sliding stop just a few feet before the car involved in the accident...

TexasMedic

Forum Crew Member
My first call when I was just a student intern was pregnate women w/ abm pain. We got there lights and siren, walk in and shes claims shes claims the baby is coming. My incharge looks at me and says " you ever delivered a baby". I was shocked (in a good way) my first call ever, and I was going to bring a baby into the world. Fortunetly the baby wasn't crowning so we could get her to the hospital in time.

This call was at 8 in the morning and the day didn't slow down at all. One of the best days of life. Im totally hooked now.

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
Keep in mind that chest pain could be a very real symptom. Withdrawal, overdose, etc. can cause this. It isn't necessarily the fear of jail, although it very well could've been/probably was.

Congrats on your first run. Glad you enjoyed it.

OP
OP
N

namaste1967

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Nov 3 2005, 04:12 PM
Is it possible to have chest pain in reaction to stress, but not necessarily an MI??? :unsure:
I say yes....................

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Nov 3 2005, 04:12 PM
Is it possible to have chest pain in reaction to stress, but not necessarily an MI??? :unsure:
If not, then I've had about 20 MI's. :eek: :lol:

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Speakin of which (sorry to hijack tha thread)

Every day almost I will be sitting there calm as a cat, and I will feel pain when I breathe, sometimes its upon inhalation sometimes its on exhalation. But it is in my left chest, just below my breast. I will inhale but only to a certain point then its painful and the same on exhalation. I never really panic or get shortness of breath, but after about 10 mins it goes away, sometimes it goes on for 30 mins. Is anything I should be worried about as this has been happening since I was 16?? Ive also noticed decreased blood flow to extremities because they stay cold all of the time even in the summer.

If these are little MIs I better reserve me a bed in the morgue! :lol: But seriously what do you think it is?

-CP

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
Could be angina. Since 16 eh? That is weird. I'm 17 now, I had the same problem last year (when I was 16). It sounds exactly the same for both us.

Take 81 mg of aspirin a day.

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
And yes, stress can cause chest pain, in the form of a panic attack. I believe it can be caused by superficial muscles (not the heart), but don't quote me on that. It couldn't hurt to see a doctor though.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Nov 3 2005, 07:38 AM
Ahh... an acute allergy to handcuffs.

jon
Miranda Angina

or

Incarceritis

OP
OP
N

namaste1967

Forum Crew Member
don't forget........I didn't post the whole story. When we got on scene he was c/o pain in his ribs from an accident 4 yrs ago...........that's why he took 3 vicodin and 4 somma with some bud light in the afternoon. He denied any chest pain on scene and while en route to the er, he stated that he was "ok, just let me out."

I agree w/Jon........an acute allergy to hand cuffs! :D

squid

Forum Lieutenant
I had and occasionally have a sharp pain in my chest -- right side actually, just off the sternum -- that my doc says is a pulled muscle. Got it when I was maybe 18 -- years ago -- and it still comes back occasionally. You'd think it would get better, but it's so very hard to completely rest one's chest muscles for some funny reason. I just keep breathing in and out, no matter what I do. :) But if yours was a pulled muscle, you could probably correlate it to some heavy activity or banging yourself up on something.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by namaste1967@Nov 4 2005, 04:33 AM
don't forget........I didn't post the whole story. When we got on scene he was c/o pain in his ribs from an accident 4 yrs ago...........that's why he took 3 vicodin and 4 somma with some bud light in the afternoon. He denied any chest pain on scene and while en route to the er, he stated that he was "ok, just let me out."

I agree w/Jon........an acute allergy to hand cuffs! :D
Anyone who takes 3 vicodin, 4 soma's and a beer together is taking it for "fun". No one in thier right mind would take that combo (or that many) and no doctor would EVER prescribe it.