first call of the day is...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Explosion at a DOD contractor company. DSI, 45% BSA full thickness burns including his airway and a flight to the burn center in San Antonio. We were the assist unit. Basically got to play but not write any paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Explosion at a DOD contractor company. DSI, 45% BSA full thickness burns including his airway and a flight to the burn center in San Antonio. We were the assist unit. Basically got to play but not write any paperwork.

Your black cloud makes mine look like drizzle.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_0175.GIF

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
this was a few days ago, but severe DKA + asthma attack + recent release from hospital noting pleurisy present. ETC02 at a whopping 7.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Nasal cannula ETC02 or intubated? Never seen an ETCO2 under 15 in a patient with a pulse

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Nasal cannula ETC02 or intubated? Never seen an ETCO2 under 15 in a patient with a pulse
Cannula, patient looked like they were going to die any second. I was just a helper, CC-P medic partner was going into his zone doing his thing.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
That's a nightmare long term management-wise in regards to intubating a patient that far into their DKA/ metabolic acidosis and requires vent management years above me and my lowly medic license. It does sound like respiratory failure though, so not much of a choice.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
requires vent management years above me and my lowly medic license. It does sound respiratory failure, though, so not much of a choice.
That was the look on his face too... he kinda got what the doc told him and was like "ooooookayyyyy lets give this a go"

Edit: HR was 115(if i remember correctly), sugar off the charts, breath like juicy fruit, pt was severely disoriented, and i personally think had acute hearing loss. but i wasn't in charge(rightfully so).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I wish we could've taken a picture with the King Vision as to exactly what we were dealing with in his airway. Anatomy was all but completely unrecognizable. Glad I was the assisting airway medic rather than the actual airway medic. I just suctioned for him and tried to help identify landmarks then the two of us talked briefly about what we needed to do to get the tube to pass the swollen shut chords once he got the bougie to pass.

100% the scariest airway I've ever seen.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Paced rhythm with runs of WCT. The Fentanyl helped a little, but I sure wish we could administer just a pinch of one of our benzo's for these patients.

Not quite symptomatic, but the pm would fail for a minute or so. I can't imagine decreasing the patients anxiety even just a smidge wouldn't help. Either way, sounds like someone is due for an upgrade of the AICD variety.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Dispatched for a stroke. Not a stroke, but a PTSD panic attack.

At least the EMS room at the hospital had schnaks.
At least in my area, I feel like stroke is the most incorrectly EMD'd response.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
At least in my area, I feel like stroke is the most incorrectly EMD'd response.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Same here. Probably because of all the campaigning for s/s of stroke have people paranoid.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We have notoriously bad emd. Calls are almost never what the original dispatch is for.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
We have notoriously bad emd. Calls are almost never what the original dispatch is for.
I'd venture to guess that this is universal with the EMD system in general. You say one word---wrong, or right---and presto! whammo! Here comes the calvary.