Firefighter Rehab

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
Were looking into purchasing a Firefighter Rehab unit to be used primarely in large FD operations I.E. Brush fires/Structure fires. Just looking for opinions on them... staffing and equipment wise as well as general thoughts on the idea. In our area, there is only one current truck that is designed for it. I think it would benefit all of our firefighters to have an additional truck or 2 designed for specifically them as well as displaced families from fires.

I would also like to know what the rest of you do for Fire Dept incidents, 1 BLS truck? several BLS trucks? an ALS truck? or nothing at all?

Thanks

LAS46

Forum Crew Member
Are you looking for a truck that you can have your personnel sit or stand in, something like a rescue unit, or are you looking for something like a brush unit?

:usa:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you positive that this isn't already being done by another organization? In many areas, the Red Cross or Salvation Army provide such services, except for the medical personnel. Seems a lot of smaller, less worldly departments simply do not know about them, or tend to forget. You wouldn't want to waste precious funding and resources duplicating an effort that is already being done.

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
We're looking for something that you can sit and stand in, maybe like an old ambulance so you have the A/C in the summer and heat in the winter.

LAS46

Forum Crew Member
Check out this link

http://www.e-one.com/products.htm?lineID=1&typeID=18&id=43

it is a light walk-in unit and has lots of storage.

If you are looking for personnel to do rehab for a fire scene then the local EMS or Red Cross are there for that. If you need the contact information for Red Cross, please let me know and I can get that for you as I am the Director of Communications for Red Cross Colorado.

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
Are you positive that this isn't already being done by another organization? In many areas, the Red Cross or Salvation Army provide such services, except for the medical personnel. Seems a lot of smaller, less worldly departments simply do not know about them, or tend to forget. You wouldn't want to waste precious funding and resources duplicating an effort that is already being done.

The Red Cross does provide us a TON of help with personnell along with beverages and sandwiches etc for both FF's and victims. The problem is that they have to assemble a crew and it takes generally an hour or 2 before they get there. We wanted something that we can deploy at the time of dispatch and get the supplies there quickly and then work with the Red Cross when they get there.

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
Check out this link

http://www.e-one.com/products.htm?lineID=1&typeID=18&id=43

it is a light walk-in unit and has lots of storage.

If you are looking for personnel to do rehab for a fire scene then the local EMS or Red Cross are there for that. If you need the contact information for Red Cross, please let me know and I can get that for you as I am the Director of Communications for Red Cross Colorado.

Thank you much for the info. We can provide the EMS personnell as well for it so I think we can really provide a great thing if we can swing buying a truck.

LAS46

Forum Crew Member
Thank you much for the info. We can provide the EMS personnell as well for it so I think we can really provide a great thing if we can swing buying a truck.

Well I hope that the information I sent you on that E-ONE truck will help you get on your way with providing better service to your department and community. If I can help in any other way please let me know, and feel free to send me a private message to ask me a question any time.

Good Luck!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There was an article in JEMS a few months ago (maybe even last summer!) that discussed personnel and equipment requirements.
Consider checking that out.

What are other's EMS requirements for fire standbys? Treat and release?

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
There was an article in JEMS a few months ago (maybe even last summer!) that discussed personnel and equipment requirements.
Consider checking that out.

What are other's EMS requirements for fire standbys? Treat and release?

what we do is make every FF go through rehab (yeah, sometimes it's a project unto itself) and get a set of vitals as well as their names and dept name and if you don't meet a certain range of vitals you are to sit out for 15 mins and vitals are then re-assessed. Once they meet the criteria to go back in, they are released.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What are your vitals ranges for treat v. release? Do you require them to drink a certain ammount of fluid? Require rest time associated with bottle change? Max time in structure?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in thresholds...

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
What are your vitals ranges for treat v. release? Do you require them to drink a certain ammount of fluid? Require rest time associated with bottle change? Max time in structure?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in thresholds...

I'm not sure the exact numbers but I believe pulse has to be less than 110 and BP less than 150 systolic. Pulse Ox also has to be in the 95-100 percent range. Respirations also have to be in the normal 12-20 as well. As far as drinking water, we do require them to drink 1 bottle with more preferred depending on the heat and humidity of the day. We do get many arguments over "my BP is normally high" and "my pulse is normally high" all the time so you have to be smart about it. You can usually get a good idea just by looking at the individual if they need to sit out longer when given the above mentioned excuses.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Just buy an Ice Cream Truck stocked with those Ninja Turtle ice creams that I used to love as a kid; the FF's would love it! If you want to ensure that the FF's stay put long enough to met the "vitals requirements" than put a flat screen in it with a dvd player and just put Backdraft or Ladder 49 on continuous loop. You will have to beat the FF's off with a wet hose and take away the ice cream to get them back to the fire. ^_^

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Bean counter time

What are your insurance, OSHA and NFPA standards?

If you are going to wing it on the cheap, get those white plastic medium duty tents, a misting unit, fans, and bring ice galore and water water water...maybe some powdered Gatorade or Splenda stuff to mask the taste. Could keep most of it in a trailer, drop-on module (like a camper shell with a floor) or palletized loadout for such events.

If you have need for it, don't neglect cold weather treatment too.
Oh, and maybe two units, one for each gender?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have an evaluation of all firefighting personnel after they go through their first bottle of air or when they exit a burning structure. All vitals must be wnl in order to return. Any unable to meet that standard is set in a rehab area away from the fireground with their bunker gear off, water, and observation.

Asking Red Cross or other non medical agency to do that is unacceptable. They do set up food, water etc, and bring nice sandwiches. They are nice to have, but definitely not rehab.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
No doughnuts and beer? These are FIREFIGHTERS right?

;)..........

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
We have our rescue, and 2 Engines. Our rescue is an ALS rig (along with low angle,swift water rescue, even have foam lol). That is what we rehab in, and run medicals in. They are great multifunctional, but if you need to keep it on the cheap end. Like stated some tents,fans,ice and water.