Firefighter/Paramedic???

Whatawaste9218

Forum Probie
Hi I am interested in Firefighting as a career. I am curious to what the differences are between Firefighter and Firefighter/Medic?

Does the Firefighter fight fires and do basic EMT work while the Firefighter/Paramedic does mostly basic to proficient EMT work and help put put fires when needed?

Please give any info you can thanks

Also what is a better way to get hired on as a Firefighter? Associates in Fire Science or Paramedic license?

Thanks , any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hi I am interested in Firefighting as a career. I am curious to what the differences are between Firefighter and Firefighter/Medic?

Does the Firefighter fight fires and do basic EMT work while the Firefighter/Paramedic does mostly basic to proficient EMT work and help put put fires when needed?

Please give any info you can thanks

Also what is a better way to get hired on as a Firefighter? Associates in Fire Science or Paramedic license?

Thanks , any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

It depends if you are a firefighter in an ambulance or a firefighter on an engine and also your location. For my location at least fire/medics are on the engine. They fight fires and respond to all the normal calls. They do everything the normal firefighter does. But on medical calls they are incharge of patient care. They use their medic skills until the ambulance crew arrives.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Looking at your posting history, you may wanna consider posting your questions at a firefighter forum like http://www.firehouse.com/forums/ or something. You already asked a question similar to this (http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=23642) and it seemed like overwhelmingly people told you that Paramedics would be more valuable, however, they were saying that about FF1 and FF2, but there was one poster that said AS also.

This. I would work on getting your EMT then Paramedic first if that is truly what you want to do. When you get a job on an ambulance, you can take a Fire Science class here and there if you want. I did the total opposite and feel like I wasted so much time, because there are far more Fire department tests that require a Paramedic license than tests that require a FF1 IMO.

Somebody also shared a link that's related.

http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=21265&highlight=fire+science

Your going to start ruffling feathers making duplicate threads boss.

Anyhow to reiterate what it seems like the active members of forums have been saying, get you paramedics, but and associate wouldn't be bad, bachelor would be better.

Anyhow... I know these don't seem to be answering your question directly (logically though, you would think the answer would be same e.g. "should I get my paramedics first or AS?" and people replying "A lot of FD require you to have your Paramedics, and they'll pay for your AS after you are hired" or "Should I get my paramedics or FF1?" and they reply "A lot of FD require you to have your Paramedics, they'll train you to FF1 on their own", etc....).

To add more to this, you'll find a list of great resources for your question here: http://www.google.com/search?q=para..._gc.r_pw.&fp=a91b69f6bd0a7737&biw=958&bih=694

One of the first couple of links in that I thought was almost an exact replica of what you were asking, however, it's from 2002, but I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to find more than one per year 2002->present.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-43449.html

Naturally, in the end, it's up to the FD you are looking at! I HIGHLY recommend that you contact them, look at their websites, whatever, to find out what qualifications they are looking for.

This leads me to the next part of your question... will you be operating as a firefighter, an EMT, or paramedic mostly? Or just one or the other? Well, naturally, in the end, it's up to the FD you are looking at! I highly recommended that you contact them, look at their websites, wahtever, to find out what do they do. Honestly, it varies per department. Seems like the general trend is Paramedics/Firefighters that does dual role, but since they aren't as many fires, they usually do mostly EMS calls rather than Fire calls. Some departments like I believe San Fransisco (example department) does it separately so they have firefighters and EMS (so firefighters do fire, EMS does EMS).

Honestly, it was no problem doing the research for you. Goodluck with the baby, the military, paramedics, firefighting, and the degree all together. ;)

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
Really depends on where your located and how the department runs things. In regards to my area, the Fire Department runs the show. They run their own medic trucks and provide all the ALS skills in the city. Aside from the medic trucks the department runs, each Engine has at least one medic with ALS equipment. Where I live, the Paramedic position is considered a promotion and one must first be a Firefighter for at least 3 years before testing for the Medic position. However, If you have your Medic cert prior to getting onto the department that just makes you more valuable. Not only will you get a paid promotion quicker, but you'll be able to put your skills to use.

I know ALOT of people are going to say "Don't get your medic patch just because you want to be a firefighter," but the truth is, if you plan on making a career in the fire department you are likely going to end up with only a few paid promotions above entry level fire fighter: Engineer, Medic, or Fire Investigator.

Take into consideration more than 80% of the calls are medical in nature and you should be able to see how beneficial having that patch can be In both your chances of getting hired and your overall contribution to patient care.

If you have the time money and resources, do it!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If your hearts not in medicine, don'g get your medic to get an FD job. Your coworkers, service, and most importantly, your patients will thank you.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Houston and it's 16 week zero to Paramedic, yes, they exude greatness ....

Mate if you want to be a hose monkey bugger off to the hose monkey forum and ask the Firey's .... if you want to be an Ambulance Officer, ask here.