Fired! Interview help from EMS admin

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
I got fired from my job a Paramedic in a city and county service I was at for 2 years after a nurse complained on me over a radio report where the ER misunderstood something I said and requested for me to start an IO in which I did not do because it was not indicated.
I have an interview for the neighboring county on Thursday and I am unsure of what to say. Anyone on her in an admin position? Would you guys hire a medic who was previously fired? I really feel like my old *** hole boss ruined my career. Is there any hope for my career other than working in private EMS?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know how relevant it is, but I'd like to hear more about this call that got you fired.

Yeah, I'm personally trying to avoid asking about it, but am definitely curious.

Just from a general standpoint for any job, its getting to the interview that is the hard part. If you can explain your actions that got you fired, then what you did for remediation, and why it won't happen again, and be confident and truthful about it let alone convincing, then you shouldn't have an issue. But who's to say they won't call your previous employers to ask about you before even replying to your e-mail? Its a tough spot.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, I'm personally trying to avoid asking about it, but am definitely curious.

Just from a general standpoint for any job, its getting to the interview that is the hard part. If you can explain your actions that got you fired, then what you did for remediation, and why it won't happen again, and be confident and truthful about it let alone convincing, then you shouldn't have an issue. But who's to say they won't call your previous employers to ask about you before even replying to your e-mail? Its a tough spot.

That would open the previous employer to a lawsuit, so most prospective employers won't ask, and most past employers won't tell.
http://work.chron.com/hr-allowed-ask-previous-employers-22431.html

OP
OP
medicaltransient

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
Of course I will use them as a reference and just tell the truth. Have any of you guys ever been fired or known someone who has before and recovered to land a successful career?

John E

Forum Captain
If you were fired improperly or over a misunderstanding did you fight it?

How exactly did a nurse get a paramedic fired?

Did she file a formal complaint against you that was adjudicated by your employer?

What is the connection between this nurse and your "old boss"?

Last edited by a moderator:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
You asked, so I'll offer this: Having just read your post, I'd wonder if any males born 5/12/86, who came looking for work at my agency anytime soon, might be calling me their next "******* boss." I'd ask such candidates about that IO incident, but I'd probably be more concerned about their ability to get along with others.

Be careful what you post on social media.

kal0220

Forum Probie
Well, mgr22, you might want to go back and reread what he posted. He said nothing bad about you at all. That was someone else who said *********

Last edited:
OP
OP
medicaltransient

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
You asked, so I'll offer this: Having just read your post, I'd wonder if any males born 5/12/86, who came looking for work at my agency anytime soon, might be calling me their next "******* boss." I'd ask such candidates about that IO incident, but I'd probably be more concerned about their ability to get along with others.

Be careful what you post on social media.
Thanks for your advice and I hope you have an amicable relationship with your employees.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Getting fired is tough but can be overcome, even with so much competition. Your job is to figure out how to turn it into a positive. In short, you need to learn something from this other than that your old boss was an a**hole.

Look at the situation and ask yourself 3 things:
- what happened (honestly)?
- what can I learn from this?
- how will I be different going forward?

You will need to convey the answer to all these questions to prospective employers and do it humbly. Do not make excuses; nobody wants to hear them.

While you may have gotten a raw deal, there are still mistakes that you can own. After all, if you had done everything right, you would not be in this position.

The best thing for you to do is find another job (even an IFT) where you can start establishing a new solid track record; it's easier to get a job when you have a job. Time and distance from the event will help but you really need to take your lumps and strengthen the areas you were found lacking.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Whether or not you were "rightly" terminated, you were still terminated and have to show contrition. Even if you don't think there is something you can learn from it, figure something out. That's going to come in an interview and you need to have a solid answer.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've done a bunch of hiring and been fired before.

Tell the truth, even if it's unflattering.

I don't give a crap about your side of the events, they're likely distorted anyway.

What did you learn from the event.

I'm betting there were more factors than one isolated complaint. Either you made a boneheaded error in personal interaction or there's much more at play than you're letting on. The biggest impediment to your continued employment anywhere is going to most likely be you.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if you don't think there is something you can learn from it, figure something out.
If you don't think there is anything to be learned, I would venture to say you were fired for attitude as opposed to anything clinical.

Attitude is the toughest area to demonstrate positive change.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you don't think there is anything to be learned, I would venture to say you were fired for attitude as opposed to anything clinical.

Attitude is the toughest area to demonstrate positive change.
While generally I agree with that, there are times that things happen outside of your control. I was forced to transfer from my shift to an operation 90 miles away at my old job so someone that was friends with the boss could "work on the 911 ambulance." I was forced to quit as a result. I'm not sure what there was to learn there, besides that companies that have a bad reputation often deserve it.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
While generally I agree with that, there are times that things happen outside of your control. I was forced to transfer from my shift to an operation 90 miles away at my old job so someone that was friends with the boss could "work on the 911 ambulance." I was forced to quit as a result. I'm not sure what there was to learn there, besides that companies that have a bad reputation often deserve it.
This does not sound like one of those times.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This does not sound like one of those times.
True enough. Often times when people get fired for seemingly trivial offenses there is a lot more to the story as I am sure we all know.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
True enough. Often times when people get fired for seemingly trivial offenses there is a lot more to the story as I am sure we all know.
Agreed. More often than not, it's how the given employee reacts to corrective measures or scrutiny resulting from the trivial offense.

No room for egos.

John E

Forum Captain
Well, mgr22, you might want to go back and reread what he posted. He said nothing bad about you at all. That was someone else who said *** hole.

Ah no, you might want to go back and reread what the OP wrote and then reread what mgr22 wrote.

Mgr22, you make an excellent point. So many people seem to be unaware that even those ******* bosses know how to access online forums. And Facebook, and Twitter, and Instagram, and...

zzyzx

Forum Captain
In the state that I work in, california, your old employer is not allowed to tell anyone if you were fired or not. However, your potential new employer might be able to ask a question like "is he rehireable? Would you rehire him?" Regardless, many HR people know each other and will give each other the straight dope off record.