Fire Department single role EMT/Paramedics

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sweet, I'm scheduled for both the Ambulance Operator and the Firefighter Recruit written tests for the City of Glendale!

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you have to go through the Fire Recruit Acadamey as a A/O? or is this like the entry level position where you can promote to FF/EMT or FF/P?

I know the FDNY has that lateral transfer exam that apparently the FF's frown upon.

I think its a good idea in a way but it can also backfire. if being a A/O is easier to get on the Fire side of the job. Pt. care may start to be of lower standard as you'll get fire fighter guys who want to be firefighters just getting on the box to get in.

islandmedic

Forum Probie
Sweet, I'm scheduled for both the Ambulance Operator and the Firefighter Recruit written tests for the City of Glendale!

Is your AO test on the 13th? If so, see you there!

brian328

Forum Crew Member
Do you have to go through the Fire Recruit Acadamey as a A/O? or is this like the entry level position where you can promote to FF/EMT or FF/P?

I know the FDNY has that lateral transfer exam that apparently the FF's frown upon.

I think its a good idea in a way but it can also backfire. if being a A/O is easier to get on the Fire side of the job. Pt. care may start to be of lower standard as you'll get fire fighter guys who want to be firefighters just getting on the box to get in.

no fire academy needed for A/O (but it is preferred). you can not promote from this position, but departments usually hire from their A/O program because they are familiar with the way the department runs, area, etc. of course you would still have to test, interview, etc, but odds are you are going to know somebody on your interview panel..

i don't think the A/O program will lower the standard of care. there are plenty of departments that use it with great success. most of the guys that get these A/O jobs are pretty motivated from what i have seen. i would think patient care would be equal or greater than department standards as an A/O because the firefighters/medics will see first hand how you deal with patients and that can affect your future hiring with the dept as a FF/medic.

terrible one

Always wandering
if being a A/O is easier to get on the Fire side of the job. Pt. care may start to be of lower standard as you'll get fire fighter guys who want to be firefighters just getting on the box to get in.

That already happens in SoCal. A large number of FDs require a paramedic license just to apply, therefore you have a large number of applicants that could care less about medical care but use it as an entry to the fire service. I wonder if they realize fire incidents are decreasing every year and medical calls are increasing? So most of their time will be spent attending to patients they tried dismissing once they received that Maltese cross.

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
no fire academy needed for A/O (but it is preferred). you can not promote from this position, but departments usually hire from their A/O program because they are familiar with the way the department runs, area, etc. of course you would still have to test, interview, etc, but odds are you are going to know somebody on your interview panel..

To clarify, Glendale in particular will allow promotions from their AO program, however, only 30% of the total number of hires can be from the promotional list. Being on the promotional list allows you to jump straight into the chief's oral interview.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
To clarify, Glendale in particular will allow promotions from their AO program, however, only 30% of the total number of hires can be from the promotional list. Being on the promotional list allows you to jump straight into the chief's oral interview.

Cooli was not aware of that. Thats not a commong thing though is it?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
That already happens in SoCal. A large number of FDs require a paramedic license just to apply, therefore you have a large number of applicants that could care less about medical care but use it as an entry to the fire service. I wonder if they realize fire incidents are decreasing every year and medical calls are increasing? So most of their time will be spent attending to patients they tried dismissing once they received that Maltese cross.

That's where my issue is Most firefighters can successfully function as a EMR, or EMT without no further training.

If your gonna be in a combination dept. with Fire Based EMS. then yes rotations to the box should happen regularly and that should be part of the job description

There are firefighters that are great firefighters that have no interest in the medical side of things. And that's fine. Let them be great firefighters. As there as medics who have no interest in fire. Which again is fine. Let them be medics.

From what I seen around the areas I've been too, Being on the box is almost a punishment for some depts. and others have their FF/P rotate for a 90 day rotation on the bus. So 3 months out of the year you spend on those skills. Not a efficient EMS system. I have a friend who is a FF/P and he says flat out he takes PRN shifts where I work just to keep his skills up.