Finally got a conditional job offer!! in CA!!!!

Joe

Forum Captain
Well after giving up on being an EMT in Ca i recieved a call for an interview with amr. they offered me a job which of course i took. i am suposed to start orientation on Nov 14! so freaking happy! anyway got a question for the guys that work 24's. i notice they pay you significantly less for those shifts. does it even out to a decent wage at the end of the month? lets say the will pay 12 an hr for a 12 hr shift but only 9 for a 24 hr shift. are they pretty much going to be the same amt of money? also it says i have to do some agility lifting stuff. whats that all about? anyway thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Forum Captain
Thanks! It's like winning the lotto out here haha

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes the pay does equal out.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Th pay should equal out. The way it works here is that you get OT after you break 40 hours per week, I get at least 80 hours of OT a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18G

Paramedic
Why are your services worth less when working 24hrs consecutively versus two separate 12hr shifts?

I'm not following how the pay is going to "even out" so perhaps I'm missing something. One person working all 12's is making $3 more per hour.

California sounds like a whole 'nother world. But congrats on the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
Why are your services worth less when working 24hrs consecutively versus two separate 12hr shifts?

I'm not following how the pay is going to "even out" so perhaps I'm missing something. One person working all 12's is making $3 more per hour.

I am assuming they make OT after working so many hours straight. So working a 12 they must not hit the amount of hours required to pay OT but working a 24 they do making it in the end the same amount on the paycheck. That is just my guess any way.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Forum Captain

ca is a whole nother world for sure! and thanks! im guessing that they pay you less because you will be sleeping at some point during the night so they pay you less and hope you never sleep haha.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Well let's say that someone works four 12 hour shifts a week, that will be a total of 48 hours/week, 192 hours/month, and a total of 32 hours of OT each month. So it someone is making around $11.00 per hour on a 12 hour shift they'll get around $2,288/month before taxes.

Now, if someone works a schedule like mine (24 on, 48 off) that's 10 shifts a month, a total of 240 hours, 80 of which is OT. Let's say for example that that person makes $8.50 per hour, they'll make around $2,380/month before taxes. So really, it does even out depending on how the pay and shift schedule is.

Just because we're not making the same per hour doesn't mean that our services are worth less, you have to look at the big picture here. The reason they're paying less is because you're working more and therefore making more OT based upon your shift schedule.

18G

Paramedic
Well let's say that someone works four 12 hour shifts a week, that will be a total of 48 hours/week, 192 hours/month, and a total of 32 hours of OT each month. So it someone is making around $11.00 per hour on a 12 hour shift they'll get around $2,288/month before taxes.

Now, if someone works a schedule like mine (24 on, 48 off) that's 10 shifts a month, a total of 240 hours, 80 of which is OT. Let's say for example that that person makes $8.50 per hour, they'll make around $2,380/month before taxes. So really, it does even out depending on how the pay and shift schedule is.

Just because we're not making the same per hour doesn't mean that our services are worth less, you have to look at the big picture here. The reason they're paying less is because you're working more and therefore making more OT based upon your shift schedule.

eh... I disagree. Sure, it may come out close but how is that even remotely fair? The person making $8.50/hr has to work many more hours to equal out to the person making $11.00/hr. $8.50 versus $11.00. Anyway you look at it someone is working for less money and the only way to compensate is to work more hours. To me that sucks big time!

And the whole reasoning of, "let's pay em less because they will be sleeping" doesn't fly and is pretty BS. Your still on-duty ready to respond, your away from your family, possibly paying child care so you can work, and it's still mentally and physically draining. I sleep crappy at the station.

I guess I should consider myself lucky to get paid an extra $3/hr to work overnight and $4/hr extra if it's a weekend overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The pay comes out to equal for both 24s and 12s. For 24 hours shifts you get alot of Overtime/Double Time so the pay comes out to be the exact same on your paycheck for the same amount of hours.

If they paid 24 hour shifts at the 12 hour rate then everyone would want the 24 hour shifts because you would be making bank. But it doesn't work like that.

The only difference is with one shift you are stuck on duty for 12 hours and the other shift you are stuck on for 24 hours.

For 12 hour shifts you work for example sun, mon, tues, and every other weds. For 24 hour shift you work only 2 or 3 days out of the week.