Field Guides

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Any recommendations as far as field guides go... brand-wise and such? I'm about to complete my EMT-B course, but I will soon be heading off to nursing school so I'm thinking it would be best to just spring for an ALS version.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
InforMED are by far the superior guides in my opinion. Their BLS guide has a wealth of ALS in it as well, with some nifty symptom checkers, anatomy, common and not so common Rx and what they do, everything BLS, some ALS such as ACLS, defib, simple EKGs, lead placements, emergency medications, intubation.

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
InforMED are by far the superior guides in my opinion. Their BLS guide has a wealth of ALS in it as well, with some nifty symptom checkers, anatomy, common and not so common Rx and what they do, everything BLS, some ALS such as ACLS, defib, simple EKGs, lead placements, emergency medications, intubation.

Yes, I have an "Informed" Field. ACLS version as well. VERY VERY HANDY!
And simple to navigate.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Lucid, Informed also makes a nursing field guide that is pretty thorough. Definitely worth checking out. Bare in mind that nursing and EMS are from two completely different schools of thought, so an EMS field guide in nursing school might not be as beneficial as you might want.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
The field guides can certainly be handy and do not cost that much. If you have a Palm Pilot or similar you might want to get a drug program. One of our local ER Docs recommended "Pepid" to me and I like it a lot. A friend in class has Epocrates which he likes a lot. Pepid gives a 2 week free trial with no restrictions to try it out. Just something else to think about.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
epocrates is an awesome program. And if you have an Iphone they are releasing epocrates for iphone next month

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
epocrates is an awesome program. And if you have an Iphone they are releasing epocrates for iphone next month

Yay Epocrates for iphone!

Ahem....I use a BLS/Intermediate version that has a yellow cover, I also throw an ALS version in my backpack just in case I need something from it. The yellow one is really nice.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Any recommendations as far as field guides go... brand-wise and such? I'm about to complete my EMT-B course, but I will soon be heading off to nursing school so I'm thinking it would be best to just spring for an ALS version.

I carry the 16th ed. Informed ALS EMS field guide.

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
I run with the Infomed Yellow (BLS) one up here, with plenty of little notes from myself taped in with medical tape near the back. (All of our drug protocols, to be specific).

I'm probably going to pop for the ALS one just for reading material though, I really LOVE these guides.

EDIT: Speaking of neat field guides, I found a medical dictionary for my Nokia 6301 (works on all Symbian60/40 phones I think?). Either way, it's a .jar file and you have to be able to copy it via a card reader (it won't install via bluetooth)

Has anyone else found any neat medical apps other than epocrates? (I've got a crapload of textbooks (sports med, cardiac, pedi, etc...) in PDB format, sports med, etc... but not so much in the way of actual reference or applications...)

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
I run with the Infomed Yellow (BLS) one up here, with plenty of little notes from myself taped in with medical tape near the back. (All of our drug protocols, to be specific).

What drug protocols do you have as an EMR? Where do you work?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
they are all good guides, i just hope that you don't need a EMT-B field guide...cause it would probably be a pop-up book.:p

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
What drug protocols do you have as an EMR? Where do you work?

We run with Symptom Relief drugs (Epi/ASA/Nitro/Ventolin/Glucagon), as well as a few "Event Drugs" (Benadryl/Gravol/Tylenol)