Feedback please

Rescue0ne

Forum Probie
Although I am relatively new to EMTLife, I am NOT new, at all, to online EMS forums.

In the past few years, it seems to have become customary to award + or - points to someone's post, depending on content, opinion, etc. I'm wondering, however, about this reply to one of my posts. I gave my opinion on something, then the replier to MY post states that my post wasn't really helpful, but offers an opinion of her own. I didn't make an issue of it at the time, because to do so would have been pointless in itself, but as I was reading the old thread concerning "bad partners", I couldn't help wondering why she posted what she did.

emtlife.com/showpost.php?p=266056&postcount=40

What's the point of this?
She didn't say why she thought my post wasn't helpful.
Was she trying to assist me in composing better forum posts?
Did she feel my opinion was worthless in it's own right, and felt compelled to let me know?

I certainly hope it was not the latter. I've been in EMS 25 years, and a medic for 21. I never consider another EMS provider's opinion to be useless, regardless of the source. You never know where a good idea will originate.

What I'm looking for, is other providers' opinions on this matter of forum etiquette. Why do YOU think she posted what she did.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If that was from a recent post send her a Private Message if it's bothering you. People have their own opinions on how things should be handled. The best thing that you can do is ask her.

OP
OP
R

Rescue0ne

Forum Probie
Ok then.

I just messaged her, with a request to view this thread.

What I actually want is an opinion on what others may think her intentions may have been by posting that. I know what MY thoughts are on the matter, I'm interested in the thoughts of other forum dwellers on this matter. This isn't meant to become inflammatory, etc. I've seen inflammatory on here, and at the City. This is nothing like that.

Many of us post on these forum(s), some are seeking advice, others are seeking to GIVE advice, while others just want to enjoy the virtual company of their peers. However, since she didn't privately message ME and let me know there was no point to my post, I didn't privately message HER and ask why.

If you feel like offering an opinion on the original post to this thread, please do so. If you feel like it would be pointless, or inflammatory, to do so, then don't. Regardless, I await your thoughts.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
She is probably like most users on here. If they don't agree with someones post they aren't going to message them. I have disagreed with peoples post and they have disagreed with mine as well and I have never got a message about why. She didn't message you because it probably wasn't an issue to her. As for your original question, in my opinion the reason she didn't agree with what you said was because she has a different view point on what you suggested.

OP
OP
R

Rescue0ne

Forum Probie
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

It seems to me that since alot of folks on here are such sticklers for spelling and grammar, they would also be sticklers for pointless thread posts, example: a post telling someone that their post was pointless.

That's just MY thoughts on the matter. Lord knows that some of these threads are long enough without flotsam and jetsam taking up bytes.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm curious as to why a post that is three months old is now subject to this scrutiny. Wouldn't it have been better to address it at that time, instead of now, especially since the member that posted it hasn't logged into the forum since January?

OP
OP
R

Rescue0ne

Forum Probie
I didn't make an issue of it at the time, because to do so would have been pointless in itself, but as I was reading the old thread concerning "bad partners", I couldn't help wondering why she posted what she did.

I only really read into it today.

If it's that big a deal, then please, if you have mod authority, go ahead and delete the thread. I didn't realize educated professionals that we are, would have issues with the reasoning behind my quest for understanding.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Intending no disrespect,

I think there are much better threads here to read into.

Surely somebody of your experience and education could find something more meaningful to look into for understanding that the post of a relatively new EMT?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
We're a Forum, not a Seance!

:)
I just messaged her, with a request to view this thread.

What I actually want is an opinion on what others may think her intentions may have been by posting that.

...and others' opinions have zero bearing on what is the truth. She's the ONLY one who knows.

Please contribute to current history rather than focus on past slights, perceived or otherwise, and we look forward to your involvement.

OP
OP
R

Rescue0ne

Forum Probie
Intending no disrespect,

I think there are much better threads here to read into.

Surely somebody of your experience and education could find something more meaningful to look into for understanding that the post of a relatively new EMT?

None taken at all, Veneficus. You are absolutely right, there are indeed.

Was she a new EMT? I honestly had not noticed this.

I only noticed, just today, that she had responded in the fashion that she did, and I did not want to bump that thread, as it was collecting social security, and would have been off-topic at that.

My intention was, not to call issue to what she typed, but rather why she typed it. No matter. I'll call endex to this. If anyone with the ability to delete, feels like deleting this thread, please wear it out. On to other things!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like they were saying that an EMT with just a driver wasn't helpful... hence why the highlighted JUST THAT PART.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like they were saying that an EMT with just a driver wasn't helpful... hence why the highlighted JUST THAT PART.

Thats exactly what I thought.

Not helpful that there was just a driver.But not a terrible situation.

Then she goes on to say that maybe the OP would like that.