fdny emt civil service exam

pumanycqueens

Forum Probie
hey guys well i just got my emt civil service exam score which was a 70 and list number 507 does anyone know how long i have to wait for my physical i applyed last year 2012 and just got my score this month:rolleyes:

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
o

hey guys well i just got my emt civil service exam score which was a 70 and list number 507 does anyone know how long i have to wait for my physical i applyed last year 2012 and just got my score this month:rolleyes:

I just got.mine yesterday!! My list number is 87. A coworker is at the top of the last list from exam 2004 and he's starting the academy either the.end of this month or July. My list number starts the academy in.October.. they accept 150 candidates for each class and there are approx 3-4 classes per year... Good luck!

OP
OP
P

pumanycqueens

Forum Probie
I just got.mine yesterday!! My list number is 87. A coworker is at the top of the last list from exam 2004 and he's starting the academy either the.end of this month or July. My list number starts the academy in.October.. they accept 150 candidates for each class and there are approx 3-4 classes per year... Good luck!

thanks man now i guess i have to wait a year lol or less

Anjel

Forum Angel
OMG how many different threads are you going to ask the same question in?

It's been said on here a lot that you will have to wait probably a long time. You should take your medic and that will improve your chances.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic

It's been said on here a lot that you will have to wait probably a long time.

Amen.

FDNY is a government agency, so expect them to move with the speed and urgency of the government.

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant

It's been said on here a lot that you will have to wait probably a long time. You should take your medic and that will improve your chances.

There are a lot of people who are curious and anxious.. also there are a lot of people who cannot afford the medic program or even just like being an emt and would rather stick.to dealings with trauma situations than majority of medical situations..

Anjel

Forum Angel
There are a lot of people who are curious and anxious.. also there are a lot of people who cannot afford the medic program or even just like being an emt and would rather stick.to dealings with trauma situations than majority of medical situations..

Ok but you will still get the same answers responding to one thread, then taking over the forum and bringing back threads that are dead. That was my point.

But I wish you the best of luck.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

We discourage cross posting on this forum.

If I might also add that an EMT should not be sticking to dealing with "trauma situations." If you work in EMS, you are going to see more ill patients than anything else, better get comfortable with it. Not to mention that the vast majority of patients falling into the "trauma" category need little more than a splint or a bandaid, something that a 12 year old Boy Scout can do realistically.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Came in to post my usual reply to this question but Anjel did it for me. Thanks ^_^

Side note, as Tigger said, EMTs should not just to stick to trauma. You may as well classify yourself as a taxi driver who takes vitals if that is what you wish to do.

In NYC, as a medic, you will run less calls per day overall. When I was on the bus, if I was sitting at my cross street and heard some BLS unit get a call that sounded good I could just show up and put myslef on it as a higher medical authority. A BLS unit cant do that.

Shootings, accidents, stabbings and all that I just showed up to. The frequency of such will depend on where you work more than the type of unit. When I worked in harlem, every other day. In queens, every month.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Came in to post my usual reply to this question but Anjel did it for me. Thanks ^_^

Side note, as Tigger said, EMTs should not just to stick to trauma. You may as well classify yourself as a taxi driver who takes vitals if that is what you wish to do.

In NYC, as a medic, you will run less calls per day overall. When I was on the bus, if I was sitting at my cross street and heard some BLS unit get a call that sounded good I could just show up and put myslef on it as a higher medical authority. A BLS unit cant do that.

Shootings, accidents, stabbings and all that I just showed up to. The frequency of such will depend on where you work more than the type of unit. When I worked in harlem, every other day. In queens, every month.

Working in NYC as an EMT I absolutely love it! Also ypu don't hear or see thatany women like myself who really get into calls like that... I'm a trauma junkie... Depends on the person too.. some people like certain things more than others..

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Working in NYC as an EMT I absolutely love it! Also ypu don't hear or see thatany women like myself who really get into calls like that... I'm a trauma junkie... Depends on the person too.. some people like certain things more than others..

Enjoying your job is great but it is a MEDICAL profession. (Or should be anyway)

Trauma essentially entails scooping a person up and taking them to the right facility. At both the ALS and BLS level management capabilities are minimal. BLS is basically backboard and bleeding. Seen one bad one seen em all to me.

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Enjoying your job is great but it is a MEDICAL profession. (Or should be anyway)

Trauma essentially entails scooping a person up and taking them to the right facility. At both the ALS and BLS level management capabilities are minimal. BLS is basically backboard and bleeding. Seen one bad one seen em all to me.

Then why do you sound so bored? I could do a call over and over again and still love what I do.. why? Because I love helping people. Your statement you seen one.bad one and seen them all makes it sound like its a blah job you could really care less... Hpnestly... Howuch do you love doing what you do?.... No, seriously.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Then why do you sound so bored? I could do a call over and over again and still love what I do.. why? Because I love helping people. Your statement you seen one.bad one and seen them all makes it sound like its a blah job you could really care less... Hpnestly... Howuch do you love doing what you do?.... No, seriously.

It was a job for me. I'm past the phase of excitement when you are new and eager.

Never said I don't enjoy EMS. It's tattooed on my arm.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

I am just going to assume you mean to say "that many women" and I don't think that is true.

From EMTs to Surgeons, there are probably more women in trauma than men.

It is a traditionally a surgical disease and for many, the lure of surgery is an obvious abnormality and the instant gratification of physically doing something to alter it.

But the more you come to understand trauma, the less instantly gratifying it becomes.

Even the most successful surgical procedures are worth nothing without the follow on intensive care or rehabilitation.

Both the mechanisms and understanding of trauma are molecular and touch every system of the body.

If you don't like medicine, I offer you my loyal assurance that you will quickly come to hate trauma.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It was a job for me. I'm past the phase of excitement when you are new and eager.

Never said I don't enjoy EMS. It's tattooed on my arm.

I think most of us feel this way. After a while, the calls all kind of blend together. Chest pain, vomiting, diff breather... Lather, rinse, repeat.

As far as trauma calls go, in most cases the best thing you can do is get the patient to a place where they can get a surgeon to stop the bleeding. That means, scoop and drive.

It takes a particularly hairy call, like a bad, difficult airway, to get me excited. :)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Don't get him wrong. We all start out enthusiastic. I started out with Hunter Ambulance in Inwood. When I got on at North Shore, I was happy just to get into 911 after six months of IFT. I didn't care if I was running toe pain jobs, just that I was doing 911. After a while, doing non-acute sick jobs, a ton of board and collar jobs, minor injuries and such, I decided to become a medic. This was both for more money, and also to do more for the patients. I originally intended to be a FNDY EMS medic, and maybe go backdoor into FDNY, and keep the NS job per-diem.

It was at about that time, four years on the street, that I no longer wanted to sit on street corners, and that FDNY EMS doesn't pay all that well. Really, the calls, even the good ones, become routine after a while. Average EMS burnout is 7-10 years. After some years on the job, many of us desire a career ladder, variability with our job functions, and more money that what's typical in EMS. At North Shore, some of us left south for flight medic jobs. Others got hired by FDNY as ff's. Six of us left for firemedic jobs in Fairfax. Some got medical degrees such as nursing, or PA, and left EMS. The ones that got Emergency Management degrees promoted out of EMS into better positions within the health system.

You'll see, after 5 years in the streets, you'll start to think differently. This is typical in EMS

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Don't get him wrong. We all start out enthusiastic. I started out with Hunter Ambulance in Inwood. When I got on at North Shore, I was happy just to get into 911 after six months of IFT. I didn't care if I was running toe pain jobs, just that I was doing 911. After a while, doing non-acute sick jobs, a ton of board and collar jobs, minor injuries and such, I decided to become a medic. This was both for more money, and also to do more for the patients. I originally intended to be a FNDY EMS medic, and maybe go backdoor into FDNY, and keep the NS job per-diem.

It was at about that time, four years on the street, that I no longer wanted to sit on street corners, and that FDNY EMS doesn't pay all that well. Really, the calls, even the good ones, become routine after a while. Average EMS burnout is 7-10 years. After some years on the job, many of us desire a career ladder, variability with our job functions, and more money that what's typical in EMS. At North Shore, some of us left south for flight medic jobs. Others got hired by FDNY as ff's. Six of us left for firemedic jobs in Fairfax. Some got medical degrees such as nursing, or PA, and left EMS. The ones that got Emergency Management degrees promoted out of EMS into better positions within the health system.

You'll see, after 5 years in the streets, you'll start to think differently. This is typical in EMS

I hear you.. I guess everyone is different... I'm doing this 7 years on the streets just not FDNY.. I guess it depends on the individual... I look forward to another 20 years lol maybe I'm.just crazy haha

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I hear you.. I guess everyone is different... I'm doing this 7 years on the streets just not FDNY.. I guess it depends on the individual... I look forward to another 20 years lol maybe I'm.just crazy haha

There are some lifers that enjoy working full-time EMS for 25+ years. More power to them. At least in the Greater New York area, medic pay is almost as much as a nurse, and it's the quickest way to make a modest middle class income without having to go to college.

It's just that there's too many things that can cause you to end your EMS career prematurely. Injuries are probably #1, followed by sub-par pay. Lack of a career ladder ties in to pay, since you've got nowhere to go once you top out in pay. EMS organizations are notoriously clicky, and supervisor positions are relatively rare. #3 is probably the mundane nature of the job. You're doing the same thing, every single day. Sure, the call types vary, but you're doing pretty much the same thing day in and day out. Eventually the good traumas and good medicals don't give you the same buzz. Job security needs to be mentioned as well. Most places will throw you right under the bus and also ask you to resign if something goes wrong on a job.

This is why you see a lot of people in EMS take civil service tests for other organizations such as police, fire, or sanitation. Especially fire.

Take me for example. I used to work for North Shore-LIJ as an EMT for three years, and two as a medic. I was already getting tired of the routine, bored really. So, I started a new career as a firefighter/paramedic in Virginia. I still get to ride an ambulance, but I can also ride a fire engine on other days. There are also different areas and functions of the department that you can get into. There's Technical Rescue (on Heavy Rescues), Hazmat (also with Heavy Rescues), Investigations with the Fire Marshall's office (you get to go through the police academy as well), EMS training division, the fire academy, as a Peer Fitness Trainer with our Wel-Fit division, or in Communications. With the typical EMS department, there's field EMT, field medic, maybe critical care medic, dispatch, and maybe support services. That's not much variety over the course of 25-35 years.

Command structure: In NYC EMS (FDNY and voluntary combined) per battalion, how many units are there, typically? How many Conditions Bosses, and how many Captains per field units? We have seven Battalions, 41 ALS ambulances, fourteen EMS Lieutenants (ride the bus), and seven EMS Captains (one per Battalion). So, for rank, that's one gold badge per every two field units. For every four field providers, there's an Officer position. I like those numbers.

Our career ladder is typical of a fire service: Firefighter(EMT or medic), Technician (me), Master Technician (can skip), Lieutenant, Captain I, Captain II, BC, DC, AC, Fire Chief.

As you get older, these types of things become more important for some people. When I started in EMS, even when I first got out of medic school, NYC EMS was all I wanted to do. Then a guy I used to work with came up from Fairfax, told me how much they get paid, that they work ten days a month, have a great career ladder, generous pension with DROP, respond from stations, sleep in an actual bed, showers, a day room, full kitchen, a gym, several computers, hot dinners cooked by a shift member, etc. I was deep in the process for FDNY EMS at the time for medic (spring 2006), and almost immediately lost interest.

I do miss the streets, though. I wouldn't mind driving up once a month and doing 2-3 tours back to back. It's more fun when you're per diem. I'm bored of EMS down here. There's 5-6 people on most jobs, and most jobs are VOMIT - Vitals, O2, Monitor, IV, Transport. The ironic thing is that we have much more liberal protocols than NYC does, but we don't have the need to use them all that often, because we're an all-ALS system :angry: I believe we have better protocols because we have only one provider for the entire county (ourselves), not the municipal provider, plus a bunch of voluntary hospitals and privates to worry about, with differing hiring standards, QA/QI, etc.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Command structure: In NYC EMS (FDNY and voluntary combined) per battalion, how many units are there, typically? How many Conditions Bosses, and how many Captains per field units? We have seven Battalions, 41 ALS ambulances, fourteen EMS Lieutenants (ride the bus), and seven EMS Captains (one per Battalion). So, for rank, that's one gold badge per every two field units. For every four field providers, there's an Officer position. I like those numbers.

Those are outstanding numbers! I don't think I have ever heard of such a chief to indian ratio in any form of EMS anywhere.

RookieEmt

Forum Probie
I got a score of 70 also. My list # is 1097. I guess that means I'll be waiting for a GOOD while. I never worked in EMS before. Do they care? I'm taking other Civil Service exams & training for other things also.