FDNY EMS Candidates

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
Understood. But I will sure put in my time and make a great EMT. Im excited to be an EMT one day but long term goal is definately firefighter.. thats all. thanks for ur help and replies

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Understood. But I will sure put in my time and make a great EMT. Im excited to be an EMT one day but long term goal is definately firefighter.. thats all. thanks for ur help and replies

I don't blame you, they make way more and have a better job, I'd thought about it my self, but I rather become a LT or a rescue medic. Keep in mind, what I said, don't mention anything about becoming a FF during academy or your meeting with a investigator. Not even your xo workers. Just keep shush until the promotional comes your way and take it. You'll have to work harder to be accepted by your ff piers but it'll be worth it haha. I know a couple medics who became ffs and while they had a tougher time fitting in, they are great ffs now

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Also, the promotional is given a little before the open competitive is given to the public, they hire first from within

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
I don't blame you, they make way more and have a better job, I'd thought about it my self, but I rather become a LT or a rescue medic. Keep in mind, what I said, don't mention anything about becoming a FF during academy or your meeting with a investigator. Not even your xo workers. Just keep shush until the promotional comes your way and take it. You'll have to work harder to be accepted by your ff piers but it'll be worth it haha. I know a couple medics who became ffs and while they had a tougher time fitting in, they are great ffs now

Thanks a lot. Im thinking of starting Medic classes in September.. 2 years of classes is so long tho! 4 months of EMT feels like a long time haha. Good luck. Hopefully you dont disappear from this thread when you get into the academy in Oct.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Thanks a lot. Im thinking of starting Medic classes in September.. 2 years of classes is so long tho! 4 months of EMT feels like a long time haha. Good luck. Hopefully you dont disappear from this thread when you get into the academy in Oct.

Of course not, been on here for a while, at first I was the 1 asking questions and now I'm the one providing answers when im in the Academy I will also answer questions

also aren't medic classes a year? They are 2 when you also get a college degree. You should do medic, in case you don't make ff, you have a plan b

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
a lot of medic programs require you to have a couple months of emt experience before hand.. havent found any 1 yr programs yet-- will keep looking tho

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
a lot of medic programs require you to have a couple months of emt experience before hand.. havent found any 1 yr programs yet-- will keep looking tho

Isn't a medic program 9 months? And it becomes 2 yrs when you add a associate degree inyo it. Check out programs like bmcc, laguardia etc here in the city, they are twice a week classes, plus rotations, studying etc haha

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
Im looking for one but I only see the 1 yr available for people with 6 months EMT experience--- geez lets see how long it will take to be fdny paramedic lol-- 1 yr to get hired emt- 6 months experience- 1 yr classes- 1 year waiting on medic list = 4 years till paramedic !!

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Im looking for one but I only see the 1 yr available for people with 6 months EMT experience--- geez lets see how long it will take to be fdny paramedic lol-- 1 yr to get hired emt- 6 months experience- 1 yr classes- 1 year waiting on medic list = 4 years till paramedic !!

medics in fdny get hired quickly. There's not many, many go for better paying jobs, so medics grt hired very quickly. They also pay for emts to become medics, either in house or outside, there's a waiting list for that and you sign a 3yr contract with them, not really feasible for you since you want to be a ff

phoppey

Forum Crew Member

Thats what i thought going into the acadamy about using ems to become a ff but everyone seems pretty relaxed about it, all the higher ups that talked about using ems to become a ff so far all said its a good idea and you ll make more money and its a way to move up in the fire department. That or take the paramedic program which you get paid to do by the fire department, they all know you gotta move on from being and emt at some point beacuse of the salary

Last edited by a moderator:

phoppey

Forum Crew Member

Become an emt for fdny for a year and they will pay you to go to fdny paramedic school for 9 months

Kevfd3635

Forum Crew Member
=/

Hey guys not to make anyone upset but I serious don't thing there gonna hire from 4004 until Jan if that there's no way , there so many of us left on 3024 like 300 people still waiting from 3024 to get called in im in the 12xx's my buddy is in the early 11XX's and no call for july I maybe wrong but that's what im thinking , like thinking about the way they hiring im most likely looking at Jan

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys not to make anyone upset but I serious don't thing there gonna hire from 4004 until Jan if that there's no way , there so many of us left on 3024 like 300 people still waiting from 3024 to get called in im in the 12xx's my buddy is in the early 11XX's and no call for july I maybe wrong but that's what im thinking , like thinking about the way they hiring im most likely looking at Jan

Yeah that def makes lots of people upset.. i wonder how many people actually still join fdny after waiting like 2 years?? If the list is 1300 people-- would you say they actually put like 800 through the academy? This is just a guess

JRellsz

Forum Crew Member
Yeah that def makes lots of people upset.. i wonder how many people actually still join fdny after waiting like 2 years?? If the list is 1300 people-- would you say they actually put like 800 through the academy? This is just a guess

Definitely WAAAAY less than that. but he's right. Im on 4004 and im thinking ill be in the 2nd academy of 2015

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
Definitely WAAAAY less than that. but he's right. Im on 4004 and im thinking ill be in the 2nd academy of 2015

K thats good.. Im applying in Sept. and hoping to get on hopefully by next Oct... hopefully! What list # are and what did you score on 4004?

Kevfd3635

Forum Crew Member
Yeppp

:excl: Yeahh they do take less , you have to keep in mind that most people that take civil test take more then just fdny ems , they take fire and pd so they deff lose some people when nypd makes a class

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
How many people on 4004?
I think 1400? Something like that

A lot of people fail the physical
Some fail the medical
Some fail background check
Some take other civil tests
A lot of people give up and work a hospital
Some give up and go to a medic program
Out of 1400 peoppe, maybe 40% make it to the academy

I doubt there's more, each class has 90 people (45day 45 night class) and there's 2 or 3 given in a year, and usually a list is done after 5 classes or so, so we can say out of 1400 people, maybe 500 or 600 make it to the academy, probably less

There's a few people left on 3024, between 11xx and 13xx, my friend is 12xx and he dropped from the list because they will be taking him as a medic.

From 4004 , up until 300, it moved quick, they Are short on people, October class should have a mix of 3024 (the left overs) and 4004.
I know a lot of people are find below me, so my guess is 50/50 October/January
I believe they still have a lot of spaces left because they are mandating ot in some stations. They just might not have all the money to put more Classes through, only time will tell.

I hate waiting, I wouldn't mind waiting even a year if I knew I would get in the academy, but anyone who's with me, meaning done the medical, intake, psych and physical and passed, we're sure to get a phone call, I called my investigator to ask if he needs any extra paperwork and he said everything is fine, I just have to play the wait ing game

Sorry about spelling, I'm on my phone, right before a 10hr overnight haha

JRellsz

Forum Crew Member
How many people on 4004?

Some fail the medical

I doubt there's more, each class has 90 people (45day 45 night class) and there's 2 or 3 given in a year, and usually a list is done after 5 classes or so, so we can say out of 1400 people, maybe 500 or 600 make it to the academy, probably less

There's a few people left on 3024, between 11xx and 13xx, my friend is 12xx and he dropped from the list because they will be taking him as a medic.

From 4004 , up until 300, it moved quick, they Are short on people, October class should have a mix of 3024 (the left overs) and 4004.
I believe they still have a lot of spaces left because they are mandating ot in some stations. They just might not have all the money to put more Classes through, only time will tell.

I hate waiting, I wouldn't mind waiting even a year if I knew I would get in the academy, but anyone who's with me, meaning done the medical, intake, psych and physical and passed, we're sure to get a phone call, I called my investigator to ask if he needs any extra paperwork and he said everything is fine, I just have to play the wait ing game

my friend got mandated multiple times already too..and im 49x and just waiting on my medical now

emt117

Forum Lieutenant
Just curious what kind of list number could i end up with if i score a 75 (roughly) and how long would it take to get into the academy? Thanks in advance

L2theA36

Forum Ride Along
How many people on 4004?

Some fail the medical

So I shouldn't be worried that i haven't gotten the letter for the interview yet huh, my list# was 80X, had my Agility test on 6/8/14