Favorite / Least favorite thing about your job

nick Joseph

Forum Crew Member
Whats your favorite / Least favorite thing about your job??? My favorite thing would have to be helping people and the friendships i've made with co-workers , least favorite pay / hours

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
^ Contradicts OP in every way. Lawl.

Favorite - Making a patient smile and/or laugh is a pretty cool feeling, especially if they came in angry, depressed, or in pain.

Least favorite - Enemas are pretty nasty. Screw potassium, I'm outta here.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
^ Contradicts OP in every way. Lawl.
The funny thing is, it's really not far from the truth.

Least favorite - Enemas are pretty nasty. Screw potassium, I'm outta here.
Y'all aren't still using kayexalate, are you?

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Favorite: feeling like im doing something with myself. Not sitting behind a desk, or selling a useless item to people for a crap ton of money.

Least favorite: being stuck sitting in an ambulance for so long. Claustrophobia makes it worse, and creates horrid posture.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Y'all aren't still using kayexalate, are you?

I can't say for certain because I don't pull it, I just light the fuse. My favorite time was my first, and happened to be the nurse's first as well, and on her last day in the department (she was switching to the new peds ED for this very reason). "It looks.. yeah, it's in, but nothings happening. -awkward 5 seconds of the day-. Wait... oh. Yeah. Ok, this is happening. Its happening. Oh my god."

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Favorite- being close with co-workers

Least favorite- being close with co-workers.

A room full of adult men is strikingly similar to a room full of high school age girls.......

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Favorite: The excitement. I won't lie, I like the adrenalin rush. I also enjoy being a brief historian. I really like just sitting and talking to patients while we go from A-B. From war heroes to accountants, everyone has a story to tell or some tidbit on life you can learn from.

Least favorite: The hours of boredom. Also, suctioning patients. I hate that noise so much.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Favorite: patient care. I enjoy talking to and taking care of patients. I also enjoy complex cases and the intricacies of CCT.

Least: the politics and layers of bureaucracy. I also hate sitting and doing nothing.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Favorite: Going to bed before 2300 while on shift and not getting a call the rest of shift.

Least favorite: The abuse of the 911 system. Pretty close to putting up billboards around the city that say "Wait, you called 911 for what?"

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Favorite: Patient care. It is a good day when you can make a decent impression on someone.

Least Favorite: Providers who actively make decisions that hurt people because they don't know anything as well as not knowing what they don't know.

Angel

Paramedic
Favorite is the skill set, even though ours is pretty basic, my coworkers, the eye candy

Least fav, the gossiping, lazy coworkers, partners who start the shift complaining how tired they are, people leaving the rig a mess, arrogance

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Going home most days and having that tiny amount of self satisfaction of knowing that I was doing something useful. I like that. Also, I just like running calls. Don't care if they're bull or legit, I like what I do.

My least favorite thing is dealing with coworkers that don't care. Don't care about their appearance, cleaning up the ambulance, what they sound like to the patient. And I really dislike people that don't care about getting better. We have some amazing medics where I work, but they would be even better if they weren't so against new treatments. Don't get me wrong, we have very good clinical guidelines and all that, it just kills me when something new is introduced (properly) and everyone just starts talking about how they don't need it cause they never had it.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I will chip in money for the billboards: at least for big cities.
And I now work in a place that in 7 years I have only had 1 BS run.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Favorite: Getting paid to watch movies/workout.

Dislike: EMTs who think they should/could be performing ALS interventions but do not want to go to medic school.

TattooedNay

Forum Crew Member
Favorite: I realized I don't know diddly squat and have endless classes I can take, continuing my education forreevvverrrrrr.

Dislike: Lazy people with poor work ethics who get paid more than I do

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Favorite: My awesome hours/schedule (I'm part-time and pretty much make my own schedule, doesn't get any better than that), a job where I get out & about where I'm not sitting behind a desk or bored off my ***.

Dislike: Daytime city traffic