Favorite EMS TV Show & Movie

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
All right, I'll probably regret this ( :p ), but what is is your favorite EMS/Fire related TV show and movie?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Real Life: Paramedics on Discovery Health Channel
Drama: Third Watch

Chimp

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with Chimp.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I like Third Watch & ER, especially because I can yell at the TV when they break protocols. :)

Third Watch is extra fun since I know a bunch of NYPD and FDNY people so I can see the "drama" in that, too.

As for real-life shows, I try not to watch because...
Erika + Adrenaline + Blood = Cool, calm, collected.
Erika - Adrenaline + Blood = EEEEWWWWW

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Emergency!, of course. Gotta love Johnny and Roy.

'Course, growing up in LA, was always fun to see them respond 60 miles or so on a call in about 5 minutes, then transport another 40 miles. :lol: Everyone had a BP of 120/80 and everyone got "D5W, TKO" regardless of their chief complaint.

rescuecpt

Yeah, Third Watch is like that - they're in the 55 but one day they'll be on the East River, the next on the Hudson... then up to Central Park...

My ambulance corps has the entire "Emergency!" series on DVD.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I never watched an episode of ER until about three years ago. I then watched just about every one. I then stopped watching the show about a year ago.

I have probably seen every episode of Paramedics... at least twice. I'm going to vote for TLC's Paramedics for the real-life show.

I've only seen probably 10 or so episodes of The Third Watch, but I've liked every single one. That'd get my vote for the dramatic side of things.

I have Hopkins 24/7 on DVD, it was a series on ER type stuff first seen on public TV, then on TLC. There's this real cocky doctor that says something along the lines of:

Anyone can be a doctor if their mom or dad writes the check. It takes nothing to be a doctor. People dont want a good doctor when they go into the hospital, they want the best. I work every day towards being the best, and really think I'm right up there.

I see it as a bit motivational. I think it's true in any line of work.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I like watching Paramedic's on TLC. I was at the movies today to see Spider-Man 2 and seen that Ladder 49 is playing. That looked pretty awesome. Anybody see Ladder 49 or the other movie about 9/11 yet?

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by ResTech@Jun 30 2004, 08:47 PM
I was at the movies today to see Spider-Man 2 and seen that Ladder 49 is playing.
Really? I didn't think it was coming out 'til October. Haven't seen anything for it out here yet, but with the FD, work and a 7 month old, I don't get to the movies much. :p

Can't wait to see that....looks really good from the preview I saw.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I haven't watched ER since around when Clooney left the show. Just got out of it.

Third Watch was good early on, but they've cut so much of the fire/EMS from it now that its really just another cop show. Don't get me wrong, I like cop shows in general (NYPD Blue, Law & Order, CSI), but I never really cared much for the Third Watch PD characters.

OK, here's a couple of short lived ones...anyone remember these:

240-Robert - 1979-1980 - About an LA County Sherrif search and rescue team. Starred John Bennett Perry (Matthew Perry's dad), a very young Mark Harmon and Joanna Cassidy.

Code Red - 1981-1982 - About the LAFD. Starred Lorne Greene (Bonanza, Battlestar Galactica) as a Bat. Chief who's two sons were also on the department (one a FF and one a helicopter pilot, I believe). Also had the (supposedly) first female firefighter on the LAFD.

True Blue - 1989-1990 - About the NYPD ESU. Combination SWAT team and rescue team. Each episode had one or two crime scenes and one or two rescues.

H.E.L.P - 1990 - About the Harlem-Eastside Lifesaving Program, a fictitious "joint venture" of NYPD, FDNY and NYEMS. Seemed to kinda pick-up where True Blue left off (though I don't think they were really related, just the timing) and was something of a predecessor to Third Watch (the combined police/fire/EMS theme). Starred John Mahoney (Frasier) as the head honcho and Wesley Snipes as an ESU officer.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Has anyone heard about the new series this fall with Dennis Leary? It is called "Rescue Me", and it looks to be a FD orientated show.

Personally, I have to go with the consensus on this and go with Third Watch (simply because it is a little bit more realistic than ER) and Paramedics because it is not all blood and guts. You get to see the routine transfer calls, the DK's, the psych patients, etc...

firekountrybunny

Forum Ride Along
I am a fan of Paramedics, ER and Third Watch!!! But who can forget the one of the best movies - BackDraft!!! Not only do I tear up every time I watch the funeral scene and hear the bagpipes, but Kurt Russell is pretty sexy even for an old guy!!!

Plus I am still figuring out the logistics of the fire department scene when they are on top of the truck... and that is all I will say about that!!! Maybe one of these days! ;)

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
Ladder 49 looks amazing. I will be in line for the first showing in oct. I also have the whole Emergency! series on tape. As for that new 9/11 movie I will have my eyes plucked out before watching such political trash. Too many people died on 9/11 for anyone to use it for political gain in the upcoming elections. I don't care if they are democrat or republican.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by lastcode@Jul 14 2004, 12:44 AM
As for that new 9/11 movie I will have my eyes plucked out before watching such political trash. Too many people died on 9/11 for anyone to use it for political gain in the upcoming elections. I don't care if they are democrat or republican.
Amen, brother.

sunshine1026

Forum Crew Member
Will definitely be going to see Ladder 49...will definitely NOT have anything to do with the 9/11 movie. I am in complete agreement with lastcode, and echo the AMEN!

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by sunshine1026@Jul 14 2004, 07:25 AM
Will definitely be going to see Ladder 49...will definitely NOT have anything to do with the 9/11 movie. I am in complete agreement with lastcode, and echo the AMEN!
Ditto with the added caveat that I will never view any of Michael Moore's films.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Favorite TV Show appeared in the late 1980's/Early 1990's it was called "HELP"...

Favorite movie has gotta be Mother, Jugs & Speed!

rescuecpt

Mother, Jugs and Speed... we're watching that on shift this morning!

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Mother, Jugs, and Speed.

Wow, I haven't seen that movie in a couple of years.