Fast track Paramedic school?

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
Is there a fast track paramedic school anywhere in the country?

I have my EMT-B and would like to get my medic license. The only problem is I cannot spend 1 to 2 years without getting paid which most of the medic schools here in California expect. I know I have to do a 3 to 6 month clinical, but that wouldn’t be a problem.

I read about EMT programs which are 4 weeks so I wonder if there is something similar for medics. I would appreciate any information.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Don't do it. My program was 13 months, and I felt that it was too short. We had two 8 hour class sessions each week, with 16 hours of clinicals weekly, with the extra 8 hours on occasion. I also worked FT with the occasional OT shift. I would nap on the one hour+ train trip each way, and on the couch in the back room at medic class during lunch. Save up sick time, vacation, and admin. leave. Restructure your scedule, or do tour swaps. Can you do OT and allocate it to comp time? That would be your best bet, save up a bunch of comp time via extra shifts, and sprinkle in the days when you need them.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Also, my medic program had an alternative 4 hour class 4 times weekly, from 6-10 at night. That may be an option for you.

OP
OP
EMS25

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
Also, my medic program had an alternative 4 hour class 4 times weekly, from 6-10 at night. That may be an option for you.

That sounds great.
I have two little ones at home and cannot afford taking time off. But it seems as a good option. I am sure I could work it out with my work.

I just need to find a school who does this kind of a program in SoCal.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

I have my EMT-B and would like to get my medic license. The only problem is I cannot spend 1 to 2 years without getting paid which most of the medic schools here in California expect. I know I have to do a 3 to 6 month clinical, but that wouldn’t be a problem.

I read about EMT programs which are 4 weeks so I wonder if there is something similar for medics. I would appreciate any information.

Don't have the time, then you don't have the time to be in the profession. Just alike any other profession; one may have to seek student loans, etc.

Don't rush to obtain results that will not be same. Remember, it's a career move.

R/r 911

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
i"m not a fan of quicky programs in EMS not even for basic. Here in Canada to be a paramedic you need to have completed a 2 yr program minimum for our EMTs we require a program from 6 to 10 months.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
That sounds great.
I have two little ones at home and cannot afford taking time off. But it seems as a good option. I am sure I could work it out with my work.

I just need to find a school who does this kind of a program in SoCal.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.

If it makes you feel any better, I began the program about two months after my daughter was born.

sojourner

Forum Probie
Fast isn't guaranteed to be bad

I know there's the back-and-forth about accelerated programs and the fact that the industry doesn't get much recognition (until you save the guys life). There's good defense for more schooling, but the other side of the coin is there are folks out there that learn better in a fast paced environment.

And in truth.... who doesn't have a 2-yr course that doesn't cram for their exams... so does that mean that because they go to school a couple nights a week for years guarantee they KNOW what to do??

I have heard it said and I agree, that you go to school to get certified, then go to work to get educated.

Granted, someone who has longer experience in clinicals should have more knowledge, but if that's the case, then someone in a 2-yr program should be able to claim a year's experience (sometimes required to get a job). So at the end of 2 years, who is better off, an EMT-P with a 6 mo cert and 18 mo experience or a fresh 2-yr program grad?

Summit

Critical Crazy
There are some 9 month programs, but if you want one that is accredited, don't expect to be doing anything else during those 9 months.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I just got finished with my 1 year long doctor course that included brain surgery. Anyone want to be my first patient,I'll check your gray matter cheap? :wacko:

There are many options thru college degree programs including many that have baby sitting services. Don't short change yourself and more importantly your patient. You need proper education to be able to get good experience. You can not enter with a certification and no education and get good experience. You will kill people.

taporsnap44

Forum Probie
I know there's the back-and-forth about accelerated programs and the fact that the industry doesn't get much recognition (until you save the guys life). There's good defense for more schooling, but the other side of the coin is there are folks out there that learn better in a fast paced environment.

And in truth.... who doesn't have a 2-yr course that doesn't cram for their exams... so does that mean that because they go to school a couple nights a week for years guarantee they KNOW what to do??

I have heard it said and I agree, that you go to school to get certified, then go to work to get educated.

Granted, someone who has longer experience in clinicals should have more knowledge, but if that's the case, then someone in a 2-yr program should be able to claim a year's experience (sometimes required to get a job). So at the end of 2 years, who is better off, an EMT-P with a 6 mo cert and 18 mo experience or a fresh 2-yr program grad?

As for the skills part, they would probably be equal. But in being able to think outside the box and not being a protocol medic, then it is most likely the 2 year medic. Skills are easy to perform, but knowing the reason to perform the skills; outside that’s what the book says to do, is harder to accomplish in just 6 months. Also hopefully with the 2-year medic school, the student will be doing clinicals, practicing all of the ALS skills and assessments.

OP
OP
EMS25

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
Thank you so much for all of your input.
I applied for the paramedic program at UCLA a few days ago. I am very excited about it.:)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thank you so much for all of your input.
I applied for the paramedic program at UCLA a few days ago. I am very excited about it.:)

How long and what degree do you earn?

OP
OP
EMS25

EMS25

Forum Crew Member

Here is the description from the UCLA web site:

"The Paramedic Education Program is divided into three phases: classroom (lecture/practical), clinical (in-hospital) and field internship (assigned to an active paramedic provider). The course is comprised of a total of 1,140 hours, broken down as follows: Classroom: 480 hours Clinical: 180 hours Field internship: 480 hours minimum (twenty 24-hour shifts) Plus: mandatory call-back days during the clinical and field segments The classroom phase consists of 480 hours of lecture presentations and psychomotor skills labs. Classes typically meet as scheduled from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Successful completion of all written work and skills evaluations are required to proceed to the clinical phase. Goals of the classroom phase include development of core foundations in cognitive and psychomotor knowledge in anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, assessment, pharmacology, and treatment modalities in order to prepare students to interface with real patients in the remainder of the program. The clinical and field internship portions of the paramedic curriculum provide students with the tools to master the complex skills of paramedicine. Additionally, students gain experience with the varied nature of ill and injured patients in a supervised setting. Paramedic students assimilate into the emergency medical healthcare team, gaining an appreciation for the role played by each member of the team. While in the clinical or field internship setting, students must comply with the policies and procedures of the affiliated hospital or host facility. Students must also display professional attitudes toward patients, family members, preceptors, and other employees of the host facilities at all times. After successfully completing this program the student is eligible for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians - Paramedic Examination. Students who successfully complete the entire course of instruction are eligible for a California Paramedic License after completion of the state licensing process."

I am really looking forward to this.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief

Give me some money, and I'll take the test for you.

sojourner

Forum Probie
There's no sub for experience and there is never enough. However I do think the "2 yr programs" sound like 2 yrs, but aren't. They just span 2 yrs. Then how do you call enough? When you can hand the keys to a medic and expect perfect results? There has to be some line of "good enough" to get started. Shucks, I went to the hospital with my son with a full thickness burn and I new more than the doctor. I just took him home and treated him through to full recovery. Now the doctor has had much more time at it than I have and he's got an MD. behind his name. Go figure... I personally like the full time programs because I think of nothing but class and clinical. Then I can really stay focused. However the other side of it is.. as long as I am in the program, they own ly life and all my time so it's nice to get to an end point of proficiency and continue learning in the field. Get out of the box so I can think out of the box instead of learning what I need/have to do and say for an exam.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

You will not find help with that here. Sorry.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
California only requires just under 1100 hours for their Paramedic cert. If you search the list of schools on the EMSA site you will probably find a school that can mill you through in under 8 months or even 6 months. It is not recommended but it is California.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant

UCLA's paramedic program (aka Daniel Freeman Paramedic School) is a 9 month program split into 3 months of class time, 3 months of hospital internship, and 3 months of field internship.

For all the crap that 9 month programs get on this site, UCLA's is a great school that produces very competent medics. I've had several friends go through Freeman. They are also the designated school for LAFD, SMFD and I believe LACoFD so the vast majority of their classes are reserved for FD spots. Its extremely difficult to get in as a non-FD-sponsored student, so good luck markusemt! Definitely take it if you get in!

Medic744

Forum Captain
I am a product of a fast track Paramedic class. Our class was one semester, about 4 months, 3 days a week in class and a total of almost 500 hrs worth of clinicals. It was harder to pass NREMT skills for me because I wasn't as strong in some areas of study as others because we were rushed and didn't get time to absorb all the information. I did pass it just took an extra try. If you are a strong student who is self motivated to learn on your own its great but for weaker students it is a struggle.