Faith / Is there a place for God in EMS?

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
The only reason I posted this was because of the other thread about religion in EMS.....and I am not saying yea or nay, this is just an FYI.

Is there a place for God in EMS?

More than half of the medical schools in the country now offer courses in spirituality and medicine—up from just three a decade ago. The reason? Patients are demanding that doctors address not only their physical needs, but their emotional needs, as well. Since 9/11, medics and firefighters also seem more spiritually minded, according to Fellowship of Christian Firefighters President Gaius Reynolds. Some are even suggesting that there should be a place for God on the emergency scene.

Read more here...

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
sure....on the dashboard, but i think i'd face Him to traffic , sure fire way to make the lights...

dashboard.jpg

~S~

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Part of the problem in EMS is immaturity. We are so similar to physicians in our thinking of deity, our way is the only way. We also are foolish, because at least physicians can use or have their excuse of using intellectual scientific knowledge.

What we in EMS have not figured out is that we are there for the patients ... not that the patients are there for us.

It disappoints me and discourages to see posts and comments on how EMT's feel so pompous on not meeting the demand of the patients. Especially these are the same folks that their only medical training was a 2 night a week class, for less than 2 years in length, and has never worked in a hospital or any exposure is only the 1 hr patient contact they had. How pompous.!...

We need to awake and see what the patients expect from us as well... yes, meet the physical needs, but statistics has shown in EMS >85% is not medical related. So that only leaves us 15% to do what was taught to us, and the 85% is what we should had been taught and never was. Hmm.. maybe, this is why so many leave the field. Expectations ..unrealistic?

Meeting, the patients emotional land spiritual ability is just important if not even more so... it took me years to figure this out, hopefully other will not take as long. The patient psyche has to be in tuned for the acceptance of healing, and part of that as well is trust... and part of that is being able to treat the patient holistically (all of the needs).

Yes, we will see more because the patients will demand more.. as well, what we have been providing for our own personnel has not been working. CISD has been proven to be a farce, and non helpful, if not potentially harmful. So we need to discover other avenues to keep our own sanity.

R/r 911

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe a push to include some psychological first aid training either in the basic EMT class or as a CME would help. A lot of people are just not born with a good bedside manner and/or a true sense of compassion.

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
I totally agree with that. In my service (which is set up 'differently' than others) has a pastor/minister/priest, whichever you want to call him, on staff. They are there for spiritual guidance and training - particularly for developing holistic tratment practices. I think this is very important to those patients whom are religious is some way and seek support religiously while responders are treating them.

I think CISM/CISD should be changed to include religion - depending on the responder, of course. Although, there is a problem with those who have conflicting faiths or those who choose to be aetheists. CISM protocols should be made on an individual basis - for each responder, that way no one is forching religion/faith on anyone.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
It disappoints me and discourages to see posts and comments on how EMT's feel so pompous on not meeting the demand of the patients. Especially these are the same folks that their only medical training was a 2 night a week class, for less than 2 years in length, and has never worked in a hospital or any exposure is only the 1 hr patient contact they had. How pompous.!...

ah yes, they should all be shunned , flogged, and made to wear pointy hats on any calls RR/911, after all it takes years of following priests around administering last rights in hospitals to even come close to the level of theological compassion a college grad ems'er might have

all that late night frat training and all....

statistics has shown in EMS >85% is not medical related.

really? got link ?

now i may be going out on a limb here, but aren't you the one who advocated higher education across the ems board in the other thread RR ?

CISD has been proven to be a farce, and non helpful, if not potentially harmful.

and that has what to do with diety/patient needs?

~S~

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd like a bobble headed one that sorta nods yes to everything Anomalous

great for all those deathbed christians, don't you think?

~S~

Luno

OG
Premium Member
God in EMS? Absolutely!!!!

Is there a place for God in EMS, without a doubt, but here's where it gets sticky, it may or may not be yours. If the patient wants to pray to Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, a saint, the virgin mother, even the DEVIL, and it brings them comfort, there is a place for it. If you do not agree with your patient's choice, that's the time to sacrifice your personal opinion for your patient's well being and comfort. You have a place in their life to provide life sustaining treatment, not to convert them. Personally, I believe that my religion and my treatment of the patients do not mix, I'm there to provide them comfort, if I have to bow my head while they incant the 7th layer of hell, but it brings them comfort, I can attone later, but they are my only priority at that time. If they share my personal beliefs, which are scattered at best, then all the better, but their life and comfort are my priorities, not inflicting my personal beliefs on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Luno said:
Is there a place for God in EMS, without a doubt, but here's where it gets sticky, it may or may not be yours. If the patient wants to pray to Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, a saint, the virgin mother, even the DEVIL, and it brings them comfort, there is a place for it. If you do not agree with your patient's choice, that's the time to sacrifice your personal opinion for your patient's well being and comfort. You have a place in their life to provide life sustaining treatment, not to convert them. Personally, I believe that my religion and my treatment of the patients do not mix, I'm there to provide them comfort, if I have to bow my head while they incant the 7th layer of hell, but it brings them comfort, I can attone later, but they are my only priority at that time. If they share my personal beliefs, which are scattered at best, then all the better, but their life and comfort are my priorities, not inflicting my personal beliefs on them.

Well said!

NYCWatchdog

Forum Probie
That depends on how you view God.

Is he all knowing? Does he truly call his "children" home? When it is your time is it your time no matter what?

If that is true... than why do we respond to cardiac arrests? Why do we insert tubes down throats, inject drugs, and perform compressions if that is against God's will. Then we would be sinning against him.

For those who will say, well God wants us to do these things and the people we bring back weren't meant to go yet... then that means that the outcome was predicted and the concept of free will is gone.

Is there room for God in EMS? In my opinion, no. Let the believers believe, let the non-believers not believe, and I'll just hit the button and go where the dispatcher sends me.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
NYCWatchdog said:
Is there room for God in EMS? In my opinion, no. Let the believers believe, let the non-believers not believe, and I'll just hit the button and go where the
dispatcher sends me.

I'm inclined to agree with that statement. Especially around here, we have to remain neutral. We have many cultures around here, some of which would like to wipe every Christian off the face of the planet.

But they are still our patients, and we have to treat them the same as we would anybody else.

I'm fairly agnostic. Maybe it came from growing up in a foreign country (I spent my school years in Japan at an international/UN school) and being around all kinds of religions and cultures. I learned a bit about many of them, but didn't really find myself following any of them. I tried to remain neutral and respectful of all cultures & religions.

Here's an example. An event we worked recently was a huge Indian powwow. Over 50 different tribes from all over the country. Thousands of people were there. A couple of the patients we had (and boy, did we end up busy!) had the tribal medicine man come over. He understood that we had our job to do, and he was more than happy to let us do our work. He also went ahead and did his thing, which consisted of a few chants and spreading some herbs on the ground. When he was finished, I just asked him "That was very interesting. What does it mean?" and he told me about the chants and how it was a way to communicate with the spirits. It was actually interesting. I didn't have my own views of religion clouding up my head, and I didn't preach to the guy. I just tried to learn a bit about his culture and beliefs.
Overall, it worked out pretty well. I learned something, and the patient (and the medicine man) appreciated the fact that I was there with them and showed some interest in their way of life.

Happy patients are a good thing.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
fm_emt said:
I'm inclined to agree with that statement. Especially around here, we have to remain neutral. We have many cultures around here, some of which would like to wipe every Christian off the face of the planet.

But they are still our patients, and we have to treat them the same as we would anybody else.

I'm fairly agnostic. Maybe it came from growing up in a foreign country (I spent my school years in Japan at an international/UN school) and being around all kinds of religions and cultures. I learned a bit about many of them, but didn't really find myself following any of them. I tried to remain neutral and respectful of all cultures & religions.

Here's an example. An event we worked recently was a huge Indian powwow. Over 50 different tribes from all over the country. Thousands of people were there. A couple of the patients we had (and boy, did we end up busy!) had the tribal medicine man come over. He understood that we had our job to do, and he was more than happy to let us do our work. He also went ahead and did his thing, which consisted of a few chants and spreading some herbs on the ground. When he was finished, I just asked him "That was very interesting. What does it mean?" and he told me about the chants and how it was a way to communicate with the spirits. It was actually interesting. I didn't have my own views of religion clouding up my head, and I didn't preach to the guy. I just tried to learn a bit about his culture and beliefs.
Overall, it worked out pretty well. I learned something, and the patient (and the medicine man) appreciated the fact that I was there with them and showed some interest in their way of life.

Happy patients are a good thing.
Great point.... and the native american culture is somewhat different than, say, born-again christians...

The "native" amercans have been doing it longer... and they have neat ceremonies (I've been doing boy scouts for years).

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Jon said:
Great point.... and the native american culture is somewhat different than, say, born-again christians...

The "native" amercans have been doing it longer... and they have neat ceremonies (I've been doing boy scouts for years).

Yup. Pretty much every Native American Indian I've ever met is more than happy to tell you whatever you want to know about their religions and their cultures. Very nice people!

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Wow, old topic revival, here.

Again, I don't mean to infringe on anyone's beliefs, offend, or otherwise peeve anyone, but I am curious for more thoughts on the issue. I suppose the question is directed to Christian EMS responders, but how do you, as Christians, cope with the daily riggors, stresses, panic and greiving that is commonly associated with our jobs as EMS responders?

Any particular verses that help, or prayers you might use?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
why do you need God when you have a paramedic? Aren't they the same thing?

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
why do you need God when you have a paramedic? Aren't they the same thing?

I'm not going to say much, but I, and many others do take offense to this. This was not my intent by reviving this topic, and I will leave it at that.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I don't find the pts to be a problem with faith. I find most pts are more interested in what I can do for them than God atm (maybe that's why we get such big heads?) Especially if they are circling the drain.

I prefer to just nod my head and let them talk if that gives them comfort. They can believe what they want to, I have work to do. Sometimes tho, I have to remind myself that it is a stretcher, not a couch. Lots of pts want to bring all their emotional baggage along for the ride, but that isn't my area of expertise so I just nod my head and smile reassuringly.

No, I find it to be a bigger problem with partners who have a difference of faith and seem intent to change my mind. That can get really annoying.