Facial Hair allowed?

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Show up with a beard or goatee or handlebar mustache and you will not be hired in many services.
That's a shame. They can't just tell you their facial hair policy? They disqualify you before you know the policy? :-/

I think you should determine what your company's policy is, then follow it.
He doesn't have a company, yet. He still has to go through EMT school.

EMT2SaveU

Forum Ride Along
Facial hair

Although we have EMTs/Paramedics with facial hair allowd on the rigs, I feel it is very unsanitery and may cause hair or dander or other organisms to fall into open wounds as we treat them.

Isaac

medic417

The Truth Provider
That's a shame. They can't just tell you their facial hair policy? They disqualify you before you know the policy? :-/

Thats why you should show up clean shaven with no tats showing for interviews. If you don't want to shave then make some calls and learn policy before applying.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
It generally boils down to this: I believe it is an OSHA regulation.

Facial hair is accepted as long as it does not interfere with an appropriate seal on an N95 respirator.

beard usually interfere, but mustaches and goatees...not as much but as long as you have a good seal. My company will make someone shave or send them home if they think the stubble will interfere.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Locally, the private companies will allow facial hair as long as you can pass a fit test with an N95 and you keep it looking neat and trimmed. I like my goatee, and therefore keep it trimmed so I stay in the rules

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Thats why you should show up clean shaven with no tats showing for interviews. If you don't want to shave then make some calls and learn policy before applying.

Why would someone who's just going into EMS even consider to call and ask about facial hair policy? Out of all things to be worrying about.

I had no idea it might even be an issue. The public safety agency I worked with allowed it. Every other job I've had allowed it.

Tats makes sense, because that's something the general public would think about for regular interviews. Facial hair policies isn't something general public (aka prospective EMT) would think/know about.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Why would someone who's just going into EMS even consider to call and ask about facial hair policy? Out of all things to be worrying about.

I had no idea it might even be an issue. The public safety agency I worked with allowed it. Every other job I've had allowed it.

Tats makes sense, because that's something the general public would think about for regular interviews. Facial hair policies isn't something general public (aka prospective EMT) would think/know about.

M1ke10191,

Have you ever worn or been fitted for an N95 respirator?

If not, see if you can get a hold of 1 from someone and see if you facial hair fits under the mask or if it causes a problem with the seal.

If you have, then again make sure your facial hair fits under the mask or if it causes a problem with the seal.

It boils down to looking professional. they don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want. When you go in for your interview, don't wear jeans, sneakers, extra. put on a shirt and tie with slacks and shoes. If you look and act professional, you will be treated and thought about as a professional.

I have tattoos, but they are covered. I have an 18 y/o daugter with pink hair and facial piercings. I keep telling her she is going to have a hard time getting a decent job looking like that. her retort is usually but that is not fair. Fair or not, it is not up to her, or her opinion. It is the opinion of the person(s) who do the hiring. I tell her she has to be able to LOOK professional. Even if the accepted attire for the job IS jeans and a t-shirt, on the interview(s) look professional.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider

Actually the younger generation must be getting no education in job search. When in High School we were taught many aspects of job hunting. One key point is do homework on the company you want to work for. Ask employees. Check the library. In my day was not available but now days you can even find many services policy's and procedures listed online.

Then you show up and can ask intelligent questions based on your research. Then they realize hey this guy wants to be here, he has done some research. If this prepared for the interview he will most likely be prepared for work.

Another key point was you always went to interviews dressed at least one level nicer than the job applied for and were clean shaven.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I never researched a company I worked for, never really had any questions on their policies... but with that said, I know if I had a question the best source to get it from would be the potential employer themselves.

Another key point was you always went to interviews dressed at least one level nicer than the job applied for and were clean shaven.

So if you are applying for a suit and tie job wear a cocktail dress? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually the younger generation must be getting no education in job search. When in High School we were taught many aspects of job hunting. One key point is do homework on the company you want to work for. Ask employees. Check the library. In my day was not available but now days you can even find many services policy's and procedures listed online.

Then you show up and can ask intelligent questions based on your research. Then they realize hey this guy wants to be here, he has done some research. If this prepared for the interview he will most likely be prepared for work.

High school prepared me for college interviews. College prepared me with interview prep. Advice was to be well-groomed. Trimmed facial hair is an accepted social standard. I'd be hesitant to work for someone who judged me on that. I've had a number of great jobs in both public and private sector. None had a problem with the goatee.

As far as company research. As a new EMT graduate, I researched the company I applied for. Contacted employees. Asked questions of HR on the phone. Researched all of website. Researched the field in general. Yet, facial hair issue didn't show up.

My guess why it didn't? It's not that big of a deal. Once hired, they mentioned it in passing. I acknowledged it in passing. Moved on. More important things to discuss and judge me on than that, such as attitude, intelligence, effort (obviously dressed up, I consider myself a professional, so dressed like one), interest, commitment, references, and so on.

medic417

The Truth Provider
High school prepared me for college interviews. College prepared me with interview prep. Advice was to be well-groomed. Trimmed facial hair is an accepted social standard. I'd be hesitant to work for someone who judged me on that. I've had a number of great jobs in both public and private sector. None had a problem with the goatee.

As far as company research. As a new EMT graduate, I researched the company I applied for. Contacted employees. Asked questions of HR on the phone. Researched all of website. Researched the field in general. Yet, facial hair issue didn't show up.

My guess why it didn't? It's not that big of a deal. Once hired, they mentioned it in passing. I acknowledged it in passing. Moved on. More important things to discuss and judge me on than that, such as attitude, intelligence, effort (obviously dressed up, I consider myself a professional, so dressed like one), interest, commitment, references, and so on.

Good job. Glad you researched. Had it been a no facial hair policy you would have known and could then decide to shave and get the job or not shave and look else where.

It is not so much myself but others judging the company based on your appearance. In my area goatees are still considered the realm of scum by those we treat. Yes I understand in some areas even professors, doctors, judges, etc have them. But it does not mean you as the person wanting a job can dictate who we hire.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Good job. Glad you researched. Had it been a no facial hair policy you would have known and could then decide to shave and get the job or not shave and look else where.

It is not so much myself but others judging the company based on your appearance. In my area goatees are still considered the realm of scum by those we treat. Yes I understand in some areas even professors, doctors, judges, etc have them. But it does not mean you as the person wanting a job can dictate who we hire.

The point I want to make is that I DID research, yet the no facial hair policy never came up (and there WAS a no facial hair policy). But failure to find out about it prior to interview doesn't reflect lack of interest in researching the company or the job, thus should not be reason enough to not hire someone.

Instead of simply not hiring them, your company could inform them of their policy. The new EMT could then shave. But without knowing, it's wrong to judge them simply for having the facial hair.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
I used to get away with a full on wild man beard.

My company did not care at all.

I also had really long hair.

Recently (due to the heat) I have shaved down to a neat goatee and a buzz cut.

AND I'M KEEPING IT.

I fell in love with this. So much cooler, easy to maintain, and the ladies say i look better.

I have never had short hair in my life before, and I'm glad I found it.

But as it has been stated, it varies from service to service. Just ask around.