Eyes opened...

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Today as I sat in my medic class, my eyes were opened !!! You see there is another Basic in my class that in my eyes was always very cocky, and I just could not stand him. I have now discovered that I felt this all out of jelousy. He finished his basic class the semester before me and had a job on a truck the day he passed his NR. This is something that is near impossible in my part of the woods.

Anyways... We were all sittin in class, and people were comparing tattoos. The guy I am speaking of has like 10 tattoos, and I was thinking... dang this guy need some help (nothing against tattoos). Then when he got to his final tattoo, he was reluctant to show it. I thought it was because it was on his back and he didnt want to take his shirt off. But then he took his shirt off, and it hit me... I couldn't talk I was completly speachless.

Spread across his back was a huge celtic heart with the words: "In loving memory of" and in the heart were the initials of his parents. This hit me hard... he said... "Its why I'm doing this... (EMS)" He explained that his parents were killed in a car wreck.

My mother was also killed in a car wreck, and that is why I am in EMS, much like him. I realized that I sould be happy that he got a job so quick, and maybe this is someone who I should start a friendship with. We have so much in common, and we can offer each other so much support.

I guess all in all... this taught me a lesson... dont judge... I know I have been told this all my life, but it has never set in. He is not cocky... he is just proud... He is doing something in honor of his parents... like me.

I hope that I can find a way to start a great friendship with him... I need more people like this in my life.

In loving memory of my mother...

Lisa Renee Warren
Aug. 17, 1961 - Nov. 19, 1997

and my little sister....

Samantha Raye Bass
Oct. 9, 1990 - Nov. 19, 1997

I LOVE YOU !!!! IM DOING THIS FOR YOU !!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm so sorry for the loss you've suffered, but I'm also so happy that you discovered this today. Sometimes it's the people most like ourselves that we are "put off" by. Even if a friendship wasn't in the cards, the experience you had today will stay with you for the rest of your life. And if you two do become friends, that's wonderful, you can continue the healing process together.

:D :D :D

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
If there is a such thing as healing... I dont believe you ever heal... Its somthing that you just learn to deal with. There are so many days in my life that I am amazed that I made it through without my mother.

I was in the same MVA that killed my mom and my sister. My mom died in my lap, and I was the only survivor of both vehicles. That must have happened for a reason, and I think that is why I have wanted to be in EMS for as long as I can remember.

Working in EMS makes me feel wanted... needed... and its an awesome feeling. Im sure most of you feel the same way... I just happen to have two angels over my back day in day out. :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm speechless....

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
So was I :blink:

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
The same thing happened to my boyfriend... but he went the opposite way. He doesnt like ambulances and worries about me constantly because I work on one. He's slowly coming around and getting used to it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I somehow missed this thread the first time around. It's touching.

I think many people in EMS have a defining moment or experience that pushes them towards the field.