ex-medic needing advise

tom fountain

Forum Ride Along
I have a question and I need real advise and no rude comments please..I was once an EMT-B but my ex-wife had me arrested on charges of false imprisonment over 13 years ago even though the police report stated no crime committed. In Florida I couldn't afford a good attorney so I was railroaded with no way to win..I have been free of no other charges since released. I miss helping others but don't know what to do or how to go about trying to get back to what I love..my whole life was and still is dedicated to helping other people. I welcome anyone's thoughts and comments..I am not a threat to no one but how do I prove that.

Thank you
Medic4384
Kentucky

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
What was the specific charge? Felony? Misd? Look at employers you're interested in and see what their disqualifications are.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What was the specific charge? Felony? Misd? Look at employers you're interested in and see what their disqualifications are.
This. You should also look into the state/county that you get your EMT cert through as they may have policies. Aside from that save up and hire a lawyer and see what s/he can do about it.

John E

Forum Captain
As usual, contact the agency that certifies or licenses EMT's in the area where you wish to work. Find out what THEY require instead of relying on anonymous people scattered around the world in an online forum.

I'd lose the victim mentality when attempting to regain your privileges, from what little you've shared so far you have apparently been convicted and served time for a crime against another person. That's generally frowned upon in the medical field. Blaming others for that is a pretty sure way to not get the help you're gonna need.

Good luck

Sorry if that's too rude.

OP
OP
T

tom fountain

Forum Ride Along
No it's not to rude, but I will say this I appreciate your comment..and I'm not playing a victim I'm just asking for advise. I also ask that you put yourself in my shoes and next time you try to help someone with a drug problem ask yourself what can or will they do to retaliate against the person trying to help them..especially if your married to them and they too are a medic.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm confused. Do you have a misdemeanor or felony on your record or not? Did you serve actual time in jail/prison, it did you get held for the night? If you did serve time, how long have you been out? What have you been doing the last 13 years? Your situation is not very clear based off of your description, so it's hard to provide any actual help (though your best bet is probably what teedubbya said)

OP
OP
T

tom fountain

Forum Ride Along
I actually served time for it and yes it was a felony. I been driving truck since then...sorry didn't give a lot of info but it seems by reading some of the other threads that a lot of the emt's are judging before they no the situation and don't even give people a chance. I may regret asking. Thank you for being respectful and asking.

John E

Forum Captain
My comment about playing the victim refers to your comments about your situation. You blamed everyone else involved without taking any responsibility for what you apparently did. My advice was to not do that when you approach your local EMS licensing authority for help with your situation as it tends to sound like you're making excuses for being a convicted felon.

Only you know the details but the facts are public knowledge and the public knowledge is what you're going to be trying to overcome.

As far as your comments about helping someone with a drug problem, don't put yourself in a situation that's going to put you in a situation.

OP
OP
T

tom fountain

Forum Ride Along
Very true, I do blame myself for trying to help her when I knew the type of person she is. I blame myself more for moving her to that area. I put myself in that position and I know I shouldn't have. I'm going to try for clemency very shortly since I've met all the requirements. I do appreciate all your comments being a medic I truely felt I was helping others and proud of it. I guess what I miss more is the family that you become being one and yes I should have listened to other fire/ems friends when they said leave her alone, but I guess I felt guilty of what happened to her.
I am sorry I came off that way, I still consider other medics my brothers even though I'm not in the field anymore.
Sometimes wrongs can't be corrected.

John E

Forum Captain
Good luck. I hope you can work something out.