Ethics

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Matt and CL's -

What about an Ethics Issues subtopic?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Sounds interesting. Can you give an example of a subject that would be discussed in it?

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
OH, theres so many possibitlies...

Making up vitals....refusing to transport.....telling the patients their insurance won't pay before letting them in your truck....

Any of those things that come up day to day, or things that we're wondering about.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
EMTPrincess, I think that would be an excellent subtopic also!
I'm sure there would be some lively discussion in that forum.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Why don't you start a thread on some of those issues, and if there's enough interest we can add a sub-forum.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Would definitely start some interesting but tense topics!
I like the idea, at the same time I worry that it will disturb the forum dynamic because of opinions regarding each other being built between membership.

FF, i thought the same thing, but i fear that the focus of the topic would go off too soon.

I think an Ethics forum would allow people to ask questions regarding ethical dilemmas which they may face, like a partner who's making up numbers left and right.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I like the idea, but agree that we should take baby steps. Let's test the water with a few threads, and see how the forum dynamic proves to be.

I know we have a lot of very smart people with very different opinions, so let's at least try it!

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
I totally agree. Ethics is a wonderful thing, but can be very touchy. Judging from the conversation in these forums to date, I believe there can be some highly intellectual conversation going on. I also agree that baby-steps should be taken, to ensure there is enough interest and that the conversation is appropriate.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
ok... so let's talk ethics... I'll start a post, and we'll see how much interest is generated.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am currently in a Bio-Medical Ethics class, and it is very interesting. Actually, ethics is very complex studies and strategies.

R/r 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Kendall said:
Is it just me, or are 11 days worth of posts missing from this topic?:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Not missing, just moved to their own thread here.

They were moved to keep the suggestions/feedback forum for it's intended purpose of suggesting ways to improve this site.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT Code of Ethics

I came across this on the internet, just passing it on FYI.

EMT Code of Ethics
As adopted by the National Association of EMTs

Professional status as an Emergency Medical Technician and Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic is maintained and enriched by the willingness of the individual practitioner to accept and fulfill obligations to society, other medical professionals, and the profession of Emergency Medical Technician. As an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic, I solemnly pledge myself to the following code of professional ethics:

A fundamental responsibility of the Emergency Medical Technician is to conserve life, to alleviate suffering, to promote health, to do no harm, and to encourage the quality and equal availability of emergency medical care.

The Emergency Medical Technician provides services based on human need, with respect for human dignity, unrestricted by consideration of nationality, race creed, color, or status.

The Emergency Medical Technician does not use professional knowledge and skills in any enterprise detrimental to the public well being.

The Emergency Medical Technician respects and holds in confidence all information of a confidential nature obtained in the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge such information.

The Emergency Medical Technician, as a citizen, understands and upholds the law and performs the duties of citizenship; as a professional, the Emergency Medical Technician has the never-ending responsibility to work with concerned citizens and other health care professionals in promoting a high standard of emergency medical care to all people.

The Emergency Medical Technician shall maintain professional competence and demonstrate concern for the competence of other members of the Emergency Medical Services health care team.

An Emergency Medical Technician assumes responsibility in defining and upholding standards of professional practice and education.

The Emergency Medical Technician assumes responsibility for individual professional actions and judgment, both in dependent and independent emergency functions, and knows and upholds the laws which affect the practice of the Emergency Medical Technician.

An Emergency Medical Technician has the responsibility to be aware of and participate in matters of legislation affecting the Emergency Medical Service System.

The Emergency Medical Technician, or groups of Emergency Medical Technicians, who advertise professional service, do so in conformity with the dignity of the profession.

The Emergency Medical Technician has an obligation to protect the public by not delegating to a person less qualified, any service which requires the professional competence of an Emergency Medical Technician

The Emergency Medical Technician will work harmoniously with and sustain confidence in Emergency Medical Technician associates, the nurses, the physicians, and other members of the Emergency Medical Services health care team.

The Emergency Medical Technician refuses to participate in unethical procedures, and assumes the responsibility to expose incompetence or unethical conduct of others to the appropriate authority in a proper and professional manner.