Essentials for a jump kit?

Sasha

Forum Chief
And yet earlier you claimed this:

Do you really think the two are remotely similar? Which is the real DarkStarr?

It's a lifestyle if you know what's happening at work when you're at home, just saying.

Totally this. But i also think its a lifestyle when you spend your off time on an internet ems forum.... just sayin'

That said i ignore my phone when i think it might be work. For their known numbers the ringtone is the jaws theme. If it looks like one of their other fifteen lines i ignore.

As for jump kits, a cell phone and thats it. I dont stop, i call 911 and keep on truckin'

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I guess it's wackeresk but....

...I do carry a small bag, it's actually a retired shaving kit. In it are two 5x9s, two rolls of coban, two tourniquets, a 10 pack of 4x4s and roll of kerlix, gloves and a pair of scissors. Basicly stuff to stop exsanguinating hemorrhage if it can be stopped.

I couldn't tell you the last time I stopped at an accident though.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I stopped at an accident about a month ago. Roll-over with one occupant ejection that happened visibly up the highway while i was driving. I had nothing on me but a pair of gloves in my glovebox. I did a quick assessment and took C spine till the first medic unit rolled up about 5 minutes later. If I had a full jump bag would I of used it? No. If someone is truly dying in front of you, there are plenty ways to improvise. Plus in the time that you roll up and the time that the EMTs come you won't have much time for anything. Just make sure nothing is going terribly wrong, hold C-spine if necessary and most importantly talk and comfort the patient. That last thing being the most important. In my opinion there really aren't any contents of a jump bag that could be beneficial for a patient pre-ems other than maybe gloves and a few gauze pads. If you want to have stuff on you for everyday stuff, throw a Johnson and Johnson boo-boo kit in your trunk.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I've been a MFR for 14 years. I don't think I've ever used anything other than gloves on a scene I've drive up on. I do have a small kit in the car but it's nothing to brag about.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I roll with a fully stocked jump bag, issued by my squad. I use it a lot too, but I frequent places with entirely too many children.

Mostly, I reach for the bag for bandaids, or to check the blood pressure of old people who just want to keep an eye on things.

I have treated burns, broken arms, and hypoglycemia in addition to the myriad first aid things.

And these were all situations where I was just there and helped a friend or someone I knew when the situation came up.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I have one of these mini kits that contains only bandaids, alcohol wipes, and neosporin. I keep it in my backpack, along with a cpr mask, my stethoscopes (my bag comes on the truck with me when i'm working), and a finger pulseox that I use for work (my IFT company keeps their pulseox in a sealed bag and makes it a PITA to reseal it). I keep gloves in the center console, and a large bag in my trunk with mostly bandaging supplies (4x4s, 5x9s, tape, bandaids) thats there only for if someone I know cuts or burns themselves and needs a little wrap-up. I don't expect to use much but the gloves if I roll up on a crash scene in my POV, unless I know EMS is a good long way away.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
And yet earlier you claimed this:

Do you really think the two are remotely similar? Which is the real DarkStarr?

It's a lifestyle if you know what's happening at work when you're at home, just saying.

Yes I leave my portable on 'page', but more or less because if I respond, I get paid. I also receive texts from dispatch, is that wrong?

I'd say it's a lifestyle if you let it interfere with life, which I did in my infancy.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'm finishing my EMT class and want to get a kit going, I know a lot of people don't carry kits in their cars, but I want to I'm a certified EMR so I'm going to start riding soon . So my question, what do you carry in your personal kit that gets used a lot? Also what inch tape do you find most useful?

You might want to consider spending the money on a good Anatomy and Physiology book instead of a kit :)

chriso

Forum Crew Member
I carry a bag in my vehicle but it is more for personal use and left overs because of the field I was in before this... I live back in forth living in a city and then living at our place in the sierras. My kit mostly consist of a bleeder type set up.

I carry a molle 3 day assault pack with a IFAK attached to it.
IFAK consist of
NPA 28f
CAT tourniquet.
Primed gause & izzy bandage.
med tape.
I also added a Asherman chest seal and a ARS decompression needle.

I carry my steth and bp cuff in top pocket (but this was just in there from when I was doing my ride alongs and for when I work at the hospital since I take the pack everywhere). I also have some quickclot in there somewhere.

As I said before this is more of a bleeder kit from working with uncle sam. I also shoot a lot of IDPA matches so this goes with me to my matches and when I hit beale or the CHP range for training. This kit is for personal emergencies not playing street medic.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Tourney? Like a golf tourney?? You can fit a tournament in your bag?

smelleecat

Forum Crew Member
If you use that phone the people who show up might be carrying this:

size.pl

and this

988-10001-plastic-responde.jpg

out of which they pull this

lidocaine.jpg

</taking the piss> :D

omg too funny

smelleecat

Forum Crew Member
Ive got a small bag with some gloves, 4x4's, bandaids, neosporin, gauze rolls, butterflies, and alcohol swabs, even a small bottle of iodine. Only thing is, Ive used it more at home than stopping at an accident scene. I never imagined myself stopped on the side of the road just to put a bandaid on someone. If Im gonna stop, itll be c-spine criteria so i wont have any hands to use those bandaids anyway. If you find yourself in a situation where youve stopped to help someone, and you dont have what you need, improvise. Use what you have on hand. You wouldnt believe some of the ways Ive seen patients brought into the ER by ALS, but it works. Even they improvise. Above all, dont be a ricky rescue. Youll just get made fun of and thats no fun ;)

daine.scott

Forum Probie
You should be able to get a basic first aid kit at any store that carries medical supplies. I agree that you should only carry the basics, but it's a good idea to at least have gloves and antiseptics.